HELP CAT HISSING AT SISTER AND SON

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Catloverwitch
New Cat Chatter

HELP CAT HISSING AT SISTER AND SON

Post by Catloverwitch »

Hello new to this I have 4 cats 2 girls and 2 boy. Fifi is a new mum to our 1yr old Apollo and sister (not related) to Afro aka Athena. We also have Raph he’s just an typical lazy Tom gets on with everything and everyone. She started to stop Apollo from feeding about 2 months ago and she would bite him and stop him from trying to milk her. We decided to keep Apollo and him being a boy we got the two girls neutered all was ok and one day we noticed fifi was aggressive to both her son and sister hissing at them and also our 2 dogs a pug and a bision fries. All our animals sleep with us on our bed and it’s always been ok but for the last 2 weeks fifi has been aggressive swiping at all other pets and hissing and then running away she also went to bite and scratch my husband tonight I just don’t know what to do. I don’t want it to come to rehoming her as we love her she’s family what can I do/try. My husband isn’t going to stand for it as he is a dog person he loves his pug Dottie and mimi and all the cats but fifis aggression is making him wary of her please help me I can’t bare to lose her :roll: :roll: :roll:
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: HELP CAT HISSING AT SISTER AND SON

Post by Grinchy »

Are the males neutered?

I want to rule that out first. Neutered females can react badly and get aggressive to boys who aren't fixed.

If they are, then I'll post some questions up that might get you thinking about the reasons she could be doing this.
Catloverwitch
New Cat Chatter

Post by Catloverwitch »

It’s her son but he’s not done yet but the older one is neutered. And Afro is a girl and my two dogs are female both snipped. Thank you for answering
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Stopping her 10 month old son from suckling would be right and proper, and in a wild situation she would have driven her kittens away completely to fend for themselves at around this age (ferals are a little different if they live in colonies, kittens don't actually leave so much but they still get pushed away by mamma)

It sounds like a very crowded bed to me, 2 humans 4 cats 2 dogs. I'm surprised there hasn't been an issue earlier to be honest. My girl likes her space and I managed to have her and the other cat on the bed as long as we slept like a % sign, but once the man moved in that was finished. 3 is the maximum for her on a king size bed.

Also neutering Fifi and shutting off all those motherly hormones could maybe have turned her into a very normal spayed female, who tend to be less tolerant of males and everyone else. By any chance has your husband been the one to stop her attacking other animals? Could be she has turned on him because of that. If she is hissing and swiping at other cats and the dogs, it's not because she is nasty, it's because for some reason she is scared and wants everyone to keep their distance. If you shout at her for expressing her fear, she will get much worse and lash out at anyone who seems aggressive to her (by yelling at her etc)

Would it be possible to give her her own space, plenty of high perches, low down dark hiding places? Did she have a favourite chilling spot before all this started that has been taken over, destroyed or blocked from her, recently? Any other changes in the house? Do that cats go outside? Lots of possibilities other than what's going on inside the house, even if they are indoor another cat could have moved into the neighbourhood making her feel insecure.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm also surprised it has taken this long, mums naturally push their sons away once they hit sexual maturity, to prevent inbreeding. You may be lucky and find neutering him helps, but it may not, as mum/son is the worst combination unfortunately.
Catloverwitch
New Cat Chatter

Post by Catloverwitch »

We have had mum neutered but not the son yet the other girl who is neutered loves him to death and she’s neutered it’s so confusing
Catloverwitch
New Cat Chatter

Post by Catloverwitch »

We have had mum neutered but not the son yet the other girl who is neutered loves him to death and she’s neutered it’s so confusing