I almost adopted this Siamese kitten and now it might be dead :(

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

I almost adopted this Siamese kitten and now it might be dead :(

Post by Joe_Danger »

viber_image_2020-09-29_07-35-33.jpg
viber_image_2020-09-29_07-35-33.jpg (31.24 KiB) Viewed 612 times
My friend takes care of stray cats and kittens, there's tons where I live so a bunch of people get together and feed them, it's the way things are here.
So yesterday some kids brought this Siamese kitten there. A few people wanted to take it in, none with cat experience and a Siamese from what I've read is huge responsibility, my friend who takes care of these kittens is well aware of this as a mutual friend of ours used to have one back in the day.

I've been looking into Siamese cats for a long time now because they're beautiful, expressive and smart but their personality just isn't for me, I'm a quiet, peaceful guy, I spend a lot of time drawing and my persians are absolute perfection for me. I'd get me a rugamuffin if they were available in my country. Still last night I considered getting this kitten, I did even more research on Siamese and today the kitten is gone.
the doghouse where the neighborhood keeps the kittens by this one church when there's little ones has been messed with too.

Our biggest concern is that people feeding kittens to fighting dogs may have stolen some of the kittens, this one included. This is REALLY bad
it hasn't happened in a long time, but people feeding kittens or using kittens to train fighting dogs is a thing in my country even tho it's illegal.
My friend is looking for it now and losing his mind.
I feel so guilty now too

There's also a chance these kids took it to try and sell it and if they fail they might return it, they've done this before with another kitten they thought was pure bred.

Sorry about this, felt like venting

EDIT: To clarify, a few people did want to adopt it last night but didn't feel ready
My friend asked me if I wanted to and I explained that I'd love to but Siamese cats just aren't for me. He considered taking it home for the night, but figured it'd be fine with the rest of the kittens by the church. He already has a cat too.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: I almost adopted this Siamese kitten and now it might be dead :(

Post by Ruth B »

Try not to feel too guilt ridden, much as it hurts to think it might have come to harm, you were right to think about yourself and your resident cats first, before introducing a new kitten to the group.

Even here in the UK you hear rumours of kitten taken from groups of strays or ones advertised on sites as 'free to good home' ending up being used as bait for fighting dogs. It's also illegal here, but that doesn't stop it, there are evil criminals in all countries. All you can do is look after the ones you have, try and find homes for those you can, and help spay and neuter and strays or ferals you can't take in to help reduce the amount of kittens produced. Unfortunately, the sad fact is, only about 1 in 4 feral or stray kittens survive to adulthood, so anything you can do to help your local colony is worth while.

While I hope the little Siamese looking kitten turns up and gets a good home, (it probably isn't true Siamese, just has the pattern markings, so may not have the full Siamese temperament)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thanks
The kids who picked it up said someone threw it out of a car on a busy street and they saved it, so it could be a real Siamese, its behavior definitely suggested as much according to Danny, my friend.
Here's hoping they find it.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

btw I think it's a real Siamese too because it has blue eyes and not the kind you see in young small kittens from what this blurry pic shows and what my friend described
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG (32.84 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Sorry for your situation, it's horrible not knowing what happened to this kitten.

It's very, very unlikely the kitten is/was a Siamese. The Siamese colourpoint colouring is actually a gene that is present in the general cat population and so a Siamese appearance cat can pop up anywhere. It's a form of albino, not the usual white with red eyes, this is a temperature sensitive form of albino where the colour is darker on cooler pats of the body and the eyes are blue. All Siamese cats have these genes but not all cats with these genes are Siamese or even part Siamese.