I am moving. should I take him or give him to someone in the neighborhood

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
JPreston
New Cat Chatter

I am moving. should I take him or give him to someone in the neighborhood

Post by JPreston »

Hello:
I live remotely on acreage. my cat has been with me here for 11.5 years. his age at adoption was estimated to be three. he is strictly outdoor but has the run of an 800sf shop. I had another cat who was his companion all these years who went missing eight months ago. I am moving to a city and am not sure if i should try to place him with a neighbor who would also have the kind of space i have here or take him with me to a relatively tiny yard. he is not as wide ranging as he used to be. any placement would likely be in a household with other pets. I will be renting as i look for a house to buy so there will be two moves. I would greatly appreciate advice on this dilemma.
jeffrey preston
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: I am moving. should I take him or give him to someone in the neighborhood

Post by Grinchy »

I appreciate that it will be difficult for you with two moves on the horizon.

Would your neighbour just be taking care of your kitty until you are finally settled? Or did you mean for them to keep the fur baby permanently?
JPreston
New Cat Chatter

Post by JPreston »

it would be a permanent adoption unless it did not work out in which case i would take him back and make do.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I think it depends on whether he is the sort of cat who is more attached to place or person. It is hard for any cat used to roaming a large outdoor territory to adjust to an indoor life, but some, especially when older, are happy to stay with a human if they are around most of the time. If your move means leaving him home alone a lot of the time he may be better off staying in familiar surroundings if well cared for.
JPreston
New Cat Chatter

Post by JPreston »

Thanks FJM. He would be outdoor if I took him and he would have a two car garage.