Yet another cat litter advice request...

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Yet another cat litter advice request...

Post by fjm »

Pippin is rediscovering the delights of an indoor toilet and as his kidneys are ageing I am suddenly going through a lot of litter. At the moment I am still using the last of the vast sack of Cats Best from his radio-iodine treatment ages ago, but it won't last long at this rate!

So - do any of the filter trays work? At the moment I am using the bottom half of his cat carrier, as it has a low front entrance and he is very arthritic. Too high a lip would be difficult for him.

And recommendations for a litter which is
biodegradable in compost
delivered
preferably flushable for poos
economical
reasonable odour control (the tray is in the cloakroom which has a fan, which seems to help keep pongs at bay)
Last edited by fjm on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Yet another cat litter advice request...

Post by Mollycat »

For trays, personally I would rather place a step outside than reduce the level of litter inside.

Can't really help on any other matters as we use clumping, which works out affordable with not much effort or waste, but it does need a certain depth hence comment above. Clumping own brand litter in sieve trays, though more often I use a scoop and dispose of in a doggy poo bag.

Incidentally I put waste cat food in dog poo bags too, to prevent the awful smell, totally off topic.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I did think of a step, but there is not much room. The tray is tucked in next to the loo in the cloakroom, and there is not much clearance for the door as it is! A scoop and clumping is probably the way to go, along with remembering to check it more often -after so many months of it being there unused I have got lackadaisical...
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I'm another that uses clumping litter, so not sure what I say will be that relevant, but a while ago I changed from Catsan clumping litter to Siria and with the exception of being clumping does meet your requirements.

It's made from corn kernels so both biodegradable and environmentally friendly as its made from a waste product. Theoretically solids can be flushed away (allegedly even liquid clumps could be) but I prefer to empty any clumps and solids once or twice a day and dispose of them in the general waste (I just use the cheapest small bin bags i get from Asda for the job)

Unlike the Catsan which was clay based, while this one does form clumps they don't glue themselves to the tray as much so I can run the tray down more before giving it a full clean out The clumps are more friable which is about it's only down side.

Its odour control is as good as the Catsans was, and one reason we used the Catsan for so long was it was the best odour control litter I had found.

While it does still track, it isn't as bad as the Catsan was, there is also less dust produced although it isn't dust free really.

Its considerably cheaper than Catsan and as I can get it from Amazon it gets delivered to the door so I only have to worry about putting it away. It certainly isn't as heavy, but a box of 40l still weighs quite a bit.

Should you be interested in trying it this is an Amazon link to it
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Siria-Liters-C ... 4c62c0be4f

If you are willing to try a clumping litter it might be worth giving it a go.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Many thanks - clumping is an added benefit, of course. Flushable is mainly for the poos, as I don't like the idea of composting those. I used to use Catsan for all the reasons you mention, so Siria sounds good. Plan is to get several smallish bags in one big online purchase, and see which works best for us.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

From what I've heard Catsan performs pretty poorly and is expensive compared to the own brand Ultra Clumpings ... but those are still clay so definitely not what you want.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have a litter tray in my sitting room, and use a very fine silica litter https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat ... ter/502945

advantages are it's very lightweight, so easy to handle, I have never smelt anything left in it, it dries out poos which I flush away, doesn't track too much, and the four cats I have used it for have all taken to it immediately - it doesn't stick to the tray at all either - wet patches just have to be stirred in

it's supposed to be compostable too, though as I don't have a compost bin I add it to regular waste - I throw it out after three weeks (for one cat) but it's still light enough not to add much weight to the bin bag
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Grinchy »

Hi

I use cat's best too and it is fantastic for odour control and clumping.