Blatant plea for sympathy

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blatant plea for sympathy

Post by fjm »

Slippery floors are a bit of an issue, as is jumping on furniture. She tends to bounce - after all, she is a poodle! - but at 11.5 with liver failure she also spends a lot of time snoozing. Thanks for the link - I'm still wrapping my head round this. I had assumed it was just a slight muscle strain that would be gone in a day or two...
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

We thought early arthritis, he is 10, we noticed progressively worsening tendency to limp after getting cold and wet.

Like renal failure, the diagnosis feels overwhelming, it gets better as we and the patient get into a new way.

Give her some extra cuddles from us tonight and a waggy Snoop tail.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

It seems it never rains but it pours, all I can do is wish both Snoopy and Poppy all the best and hope they both make speedy recoveries, although wishing them a slow and stately one might be more appropriate.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Slow and stately, made me smile. I have bitten my tongue so many times when people have wished him a speedy one, a simple quip goes a long way today believe me.

So fjm hoping Poppy had a peaceful night without too much discomfort and not too much trauma for you? I am slowly waking up to the day, just about to take my patient down for relief and his twice-daily treat from the neighbour.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think slow and stately is definitely the way! Poppy slept well, thanks, and has had her morning trip out and breakfast. I found it a bit more difficult to sleep - I kept tangling myself up in her lead which was wrapped round my wrist in case she tried to jump off the bed.

Emerging from the internet research rabbit holes and discounting the woo and the extreme positions, I think Poppy is a good candidate for recovery with just conservative treatment - less than 5 kilos in weight, elderly and sedate, and an owner at home all the time who understands recovery will take months and is prepared to do whatever it takes. It does feel like sliding all the way back down the snake having just crawled half way up the board though - I am grieving for our relaxed walks and easy going home life, now constrained by yet more Thou Shalt Nots. I am fixing my mind on being back to gentle ambles by the Summer - certainly no temptation to be outside just at the moment!

Ah well, onwards and sideways...
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Hope you had a better sleep fjm and that the household is settling into a new routine. The internet is a great resource that just has to be used properly and taken with a pinch of salt ... which reminds me of a great quote - Take life like a good Yorkshire pudding: lightly, and with a pinch of salt. No mention of the beating or the smoking oil I see.

Well, we have an uncomfortable update. Facebook informs me that 4 years ago Boo had his second dental with two nights in for IV due to his early stage renal failure, and that despite my best efforts Molly still had a hissy fit about him coming back smelling funny. It's been non-stop worry and spending ever since with no end in sight just yet.

Yesterday I finally confirmed and photographed (badly) what I've been watching suspiciously for a long time, some lumpiness on Molly's gum. Lower jaw, around and behind the canine. At the very least it warrants a dental for the gum inflammation around the canine and a good look, as she is 14 and GAs won't be adviseable forever, though generally her teeth seem good. It isn't bothering her at all, she eats her Webstix and any raw or cooked meat happily on either side, though that's a job for the premolars and the swelling or lump is in the small gap immediately behind the canine so not sure how good that is. And a matter of hours later, early evening, an announcement from our vets that due to 11 Kent variant cases in Bristol they are back to emergency and urgent only.

Of course, taking stitches out of the dog's leg has to count too, doesn't it? I can't leave him with stitches in indefinitely! I'd be happy to let my mother take them out, but the master says no, hastily adding "no disrespect to Mum but ..." and I know, I'd be the same with my cat and his mum. My mother was a nurse, about 45 years ago, but she knows how to remove stitches - I'm bad but not that bad. And the vet is also supposed to show me how to do the vitally important post-op physio exercises, and we hope to get our hydrotherapy referral, so this has suddenly all become very anxious again. Funny, I have never worried about catching the dreaded thing myself, only of unknowingly passing it around to more vulnerable folk, but the way it's impacting the proper care of my animals is starting to affect me.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

It really does feel like being being a counter in a game of snakes and ladders, doesn't it - you just haul yourself most of the way towards the top of the board and then hit a snake and slide all the way back to the bottom again. I slept rather better last night, thanks, and was reassured by waking up instantly in the early hours when Poppy began to get a bit restless needing to go out.

I hope your vets can advise you on Molly's needs based on a photo - at least whatever it is does not seem to be affecting her appetite. I would think snoopy's follow up would come under continuing/post op care, so there should not be a problem with that if your vets are like mine. Mostly mine paused routine boosters and annual examinations, but continued to offer appointments for anything significant.

Internet research can definitely be a mixed blessing. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but good information is both power and reassuring. And sorting the woo from the wheat is at least a good brain exercise!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

The usual analogy is a roller-coaster but thinking about it snakes and ladders is much closer as it has that element of randomness, while a tracked ride ending up back at the start isn't really accurate.

Internet research can help us ask the right questions of the experts, I think, and make connections they might not make because research hasn't produced enough evidence yet. If I had read back in September that the chances of avoiding surgery were so low for a 17kg dog and the recovery so unlikely to be complete even if it seemed successful, I would have pushed for it straight away and we would now be well on the road to recovery.

Things are always more complicated with Molly, as there are very little interventions she would tolerate. Will see tonight anyway.

And with stitches out I can start leaving the dog alone for a few hours each day to start rebuilding his confidence one step at a time.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

The stitches are out! The physio and extremely short slow walks start Saturday.

But the car stayed at the vets - that's correct the car with a R not the cat with a T. As we pulled in there was a crack and a lot of clonking from the front wheel. If it had been just us I would have risked it but not with an injured dog, so I got a cab home to pick up OH's car and went back for them. You couldn't make it up.

Showed vet a picture of the cat's mouth, she said it can be where the top canine catches the lower lip, but she puts a 50/50 chance of it being something really nasty ... I said it's ok I've been there before I know the score with mouth tumours. Luckily they do consider dentals are important so we see what it looks like in a week or two and book her in for a dental if the gum inflammation hasn't gone. Then a scale and polish, thorough check, removal and biopsy can all be done in one visit. Glad she agrees with me.

Asked OH on the way home, if maybe I should scream and have a meltdown, if maybe all this I'm taking more or less in my stride is just pushing until I crack, and if I crack maybe it will stop. I feel ok though.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Off the bottom of the snakes and ladders board and rolling across the floor, I think! In my opinion you are doing extremely well not to have simply gone to bed and pulled the duvet over your head till Spring. I hit a puddle that turned out to be hiding a very nasty pot hole the other week, swinging close to the kerb to let a bus through. Bye bye suspension...

Good news on being able to start rehab; hoping news is also good for Molly.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Our parallels are becoming a little bit spooky!! Is it in for repair, or manageable?

I do have my moments, I do love my duvet and dressing gown. As soon as OH is out the door to work I cuddle up with the dog and go back to sleep, on the excuse that dog isn't getting his bedtime cuddle in a crate.

I feel very calm about Molly because the way ahead is clear whatever the situation.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I popped into my local garage, had the problem diagnosed, was told it was safe to drive meanwhile, and the lovely garagiste picked it up, fixed it and returned it the following week. Expensive, but otherwise relatively painless!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

i hate to say it, but reading this is really making me count my blessing at the moment.

The other weekend, on our way to Asda the tyre pressure light came on on the car. When we got there the tyre did seem a little low so we decided to buy a cheep footpump just in case. By the time we got back to the car it was almost flat. Rather than change it in the snow (we insisted on a full size spare when we bought the car), my OH decided to pump it us in hope of it getting us home and then he would see where he could get it in to get it sorted. On the way home we pass the local Eurofit garage, we have never used them before, but one of the women who works there acts as a drop off point for The ARC, the main cat charity I support, and my OH had dropped a load of old towels in after we had the bathroom redone. So with the attitude of nothing to lose, we stopped to see if they could fit us in later, no they could do it there and then as long as we didn't mind having a budget tyre put on. it did mean that all the groceries had to be moved from the boot to the back seat to get at the tool to get the wheel off, and we ended up standing around for about 40 minutes in the snow as they had to limit how many were in their little office, but we finally got home with a new tyre and not having to worry about going out and getting it done later that day. i also came up with a bright idea while there, I had bought some dvd boxed sets off the ARCs auctions site and they were a bit bigger than either I or Sally who runs the ARC realised, we were trying to work out the cheapest postage option, I'd already paid standard post cost, but it was looking like it would need some extra paying. So a quick conversation while standing in the snow and my OH was able to pick them up from there on Monday, no postage needed, which meant that Sally got to keep the bit I had already paid for the postage, not much, but every tin of cat food helps.

And Mollycat, I really hope that your car and Molly turn out ok. Like you say, no matter what the results of the tests for Molly you already know just how much you are willing to put her through. I was a bit the same last year when the vet thought she felt a lump in Tiggy's abdomen. If there was something serious, we were just going to do the best we could for however long she had. As it turned out the next vet couldn't find anything at the follow up. I'm sure that Tiggy will come up with another scare for us this year, and maybe this will be the last one, but while she is seeming to enjoy life most of the time I'm happy to let her carry on. When we had the bathroom done, I bought 3 cat cave beds to give them somewhere to hide while the work was being done, they may not have used them then, but since then Tiggy has barely been out of the the Igloo bed (or the Tigloo as it is commonly known here), I'm not worried about her hiding, it is warm and comfy, and if she isn't in there, she is either on the radiator or in her hammock bed if the heating is on, or on my knee if i'm sat on the bed reading or watching something on the IPad.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ruth isn't it just lovely to find such a helpful and efficient mechanic like that, especially these days! Don't get me wrong there's a lot going on but in every detail things could have been worse, the car could have died 100 miles away, we could have been unable to finance the dog's operation, I could have had to work through his rehabilitation ... everything has been challenging but also lucky.

Molly will be Molly, as long as she is fine then no matter what's actually wrong with her she is fine.

In the meantime, we have decided to cut our losses on the car as it also needs other things, some known and some potentially serious but not diagnosed. So my mid life crisis is over just as my 50th birthday looms large ahead, and my mid life crisis car demonstrates the event in drama. We had over 4 years together, not bad for a 14 year old car when I bought it.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Pupdate, we're all booked in for follow-up x-ray and hydrotherapy assessment first week of March. Having a date for things to start moving makes a difference. Managed to do his stretching exercises 3 times before he started growling as soon as I went near his leg, so that worked well didn't it. By the end of this month he should be on 10 minutes slow walk twice daily, apparently, and I have to set up some steps and weave poles. We have no garden and very little space indoors so this will be fun too, I'd love to see this ideal world medical people seem to think we all live in.

We're also starting to reduce the metacam. Don't judge me he was OH's dog for 7 years before they met me, but back in the autumn when he started on it he wasn't always eating his food so I opted to put it in his morning coffee. He's always stolen the dregs of people's coffees and it's his thing with OH so yes we all know it's really really bad but I can't change it now! So he now associated the coffee with feeling better. So two mornings now he has asked for more after having his ration and suddenly the penny dropped, he's been asking for more ever since the metacam dose in it was reduced. He knows!

What a pain looking for a car during a lockdown though! And the scrappage idea has resulted in inflated prices for the cheap old ones in my price range as well, s car hunting isn't fun like it used to be. On the other hand as I'm not working at the moment I do at least have time, and don't have to as I have done many times just take the first thing I see because I need wheels urgently.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I'm sure the people who write the books on animal treatment must live in mansions and be rolling in money, some of the ideas they come up with. Glad to hear the pup is feeling better, and as for the exercises you do the best you can, if it is hurting him enough to start growling then I'm not sure it is doing that much good, and certainly won't do;your relationship with him any good.

We were going to replace the car at the start of this year, its only 3 years old, but there have been a few niggley things gone wrong with it, which fortunately were all covered by warranty, we just have a feeling that once the warranty runs out something is going to go wrong in an expensive way. Unfortunately i really don't like the idea of buying a car through Click and Collect, and the one we want is getting a new modelling later this year, so we think we will hang on and see when that comes out and just keep our fingers crossed for a few months. Add in the problem that while I live in Wolverhampton, we still go down to a garage in Cinderford in the Forest of Dean, my Father knew the owner and the family have been buying cars from there since the late 80s, even my Sister who lives in Liverpool still opts to go back there. Even with my Husband as a key worker, i'm not sure people would agree that driving 80 odd miles to pick up a car when there is a dealer in the city we live in is 'essential travel'. However I will say, if you have never tried one, Skoda are worth a look at these days, VW workmanship with a different badge, and a lot lower lower price tag, they used to be a joke among car manufacturers, they aren't anymore to people who aren't bothered by the badge.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Knowing what friends who have had knee replacements say about the pain of stretching post op the dog is probably grumbling with some reason! I'd try to time and physio for when the effects of metacam are at their peak, and stop if he says so.

We are very lucky here - plenty of shared outdoor space and lovely walks in easy reach. Downside is that a car is essential - the road to the village is lethal, and I would not be comfortable using public transport at the moment, even if buses were frequent enough to make it feasible.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

When it comes to cars there are so few trustworthy people about sadly that travelling for one you can put your faith in is well worth it in the long run. I totally understand you and your sister on this one.

We're after a large diesel estate car but a lot older than that. Anything from the Volkswagen-Audi Group will do (I really don't like the abbreviation and am sure they could have referred to it as Audi-Volkswagen) including Skoda and of course Seat which is what just died on me - Passat and Octavia being the main contenders in the size stakes. I've also been looking at the Mazda 6. I do have one hot little contender but if the cam belt hasn't been changed I will walk away.

Just so thankful I'm not working at the moment!

Yes fjm my mother is our bubble and she doesn't drive and as I can't chuck the dog in the car to go see her I can only visit while OH is home or for a couple of hours max. I don't want her taking two buses. It's all so complicated.

Oddly enough dog is perfectly capable of the full range of movement the exercises are designed to maintain, he just doesn't want us doing it for him. And we struggle t get him to lie flat on his side as he should for them, I did manage a couple of repetitions with him sitting on me but I fear it's probably not the right angle and that's why I don't want to push him - we've worked through growls before and he has come to see I am gentle and will never hurt him. Perhaps Molly taught me to teach him that as my aim in working with her all these years has been to teach her to tell me enough and no without swearing about it.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

My sister used to have an Octavia hatchback, and the boot in that was huge, she couldn't actually reach the back of it without climbing in, the estates look enormous, so if you want a big car then i can understand you looking at them. We settled for a Fabia Estate, after they stopped doing the Roomster, which was an ugly car, but once you got in them, were great and had a nice big, and high boot. I've notice that a lot of the newer cars, particularly the SUVs, seem to be going for smaller boots for some reason. The other one I have had the privilege to see, was the parts stock room at the garage, and I can see why most never get a look inside, all the boxes of parts, some Skoda, but there were many VW, Audi or Seat in there as well. While finding out your Skoda has been fitted with an Audi part wouldn't worry most Skoda drivers, I can imagine some Audi drivers having a fit if they realised they had Skoda parts fitted. I hope you can find the car you want at the price you want when all this is over and we can get out to the showrooms again.
It seems like we have totally derailed this thread away from cats, with all this talk of dogs and cars, but in the end it is all life and life is hard for many at the moment, and I doubt the mods really worry about us just chatting on here.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

My little Seat Leon under the bonnet was full of little VW symbols and 4-ring Audi marks, it always made me smile.

Yes well really I set out on this journey mostly on the pesky dog and a bit of car trouble, it is only one thread though.

But as you mention cats, Madame Molly has been taking advantage of the sofa being caged off to enjoy it, and for the first time in almost 8 years has started to relax on it with us occasionally, even to the point of Terry having to psychologically move her over by slowly sitting where she is. I have spent a couple of afternoons pinned down not daring to move because I want to build up her positive experiences and she has dozed off next to me, so we've spent the afternoon watching TV gasping for a coffee instead of being productive. Maybe we've earned it.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Mobile again as of Saturday morning and what a relief that is.

Starting to extend the walks and have finished the structural sewing of a brand new collar for the dog, all the cosmetic side still to do but at least I can now chuck out the horrible red fake leather thing we've been using. In two weeks' time we will be prepping for x-ray.

And then I can start focusing the worries back on the cat and her gum. they really do seem to be competing for who can spend the most!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Is it that time already? We had our 6 week x-ray check today only 3 days early. Vet is pleased with the healing but we still have to get the approval of the actual surgeon. We also had a check on the "good" stifle because that was clinically worse even though the painful one that was clinically better was the one that ruptured. He's on his bed now. He's sleeping. He wasn't earlier, he looked utterly miserable. Our interpretation and really he's just tired? Or is he really thinking the worst of why Molly isn't here? Tomorrow will tell.

Not sure what I'm doing to myself but I dropped off Molly cat and picked up the dog in one visit, Mogs is settled and the genius nurse just took the front off her carrier and put her in the kennel that way, so she has her bed and toys. Didn't eat of course. Tomorrow we see what's going on in her mouth. I felt so guilty taking her in when there's absolutely nothing wrong with her, she's in no discomfort, is eating well, and then just before time to go she did have a little thoughtful chew of nothing.

I feel bizarrely calm. We had a lovely day, just the two of us. She slept, we cuddled, I talked to her. I could have done lots of things today without the restrictions of being there for the caged dog, but I didn't, I chose to be there with my girl, from 8 in the morning till 4 in the afternoon.

My poor credit card is taking a right old beating, we're into 4 figures this week before starting the hydrotherapy!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am hoping for good news tomorrow - you really deserve some time to relax and recover without further anxiety.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Really hoping it will be good news tomorrow, at least then you will have peace of mind, and if it is bad news, you will know what you are dealing with, sometimes the truth, no matter how bad is better than what you were imagining.

It is sounding like you needed the time to yourself, just being quiet there quiet with her will have done you the world of good, sometimes we need to take the time for our selves.

What type of wheels did you end up with, hopefully they are good ones. We are now waiting not only for the end of lock down, but for details on the new model of Fabia Skoda are supposed to be bringing out later this year. I corrupted my other half by introducing him to glass roofed cars, normal ones seem so dark in comparison, but it means we normally have to go for a factory build and we don't want the last car of the production line of the old model, so we wait to know more. As is typical of cars, our current one has now decided it will need a service this month as well as the MOT, more expense, but at least once it id done we should be good for another year as long as nothing else goes once it is out of warrenty.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Glad dog's check up went well, and fingers crossed for today. I think you did the right thing just chilling with her, I'm getting better at ignoring housework in favour of cuddling Lucy
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Thank you all, well it is good news and Molly doesn't have any kind of lump that might need excising or biopsying. That's great.

However she had one broken tooth and also on the opposite side a remnant of root which I can only guess would be either some kind of weird accident or a badly done previous dental, but I've had her for 8 years and she has never indicated any kind of problem and most definitely not had a dental in that time. Puzzled - but also feeling so terrible! I'm a BAAAD kitty-mommy! All the hissing ... the evening yowling ... the grumpiness ... has it all been for toothache? Am I going to have a brand new cat? I was a bit disappointed that curing her hyperthyroidism wasn't more help. I feel so awful for her as well as utterly baffled.

At least it's done now and we can move forward hopefully comfortable. I collect her at 6.

Ruth it's a Rover 75 diesel estate, 17 years old but in really lovely condition, very well looked after. Until I reversed into a post just now, anyway, despite these being my first ever reversing sensors! Only a little paint cracked, nothing to worry about, but equally nothing I'm ever going to be allowed to forget by OH. Just so relieved (and guilty) about my baby girl that I don't care about anything else, the roof could fall off the house for all I care today. best 50th birthday present ever, my little fluffy girl.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Ooooff - definitely good news. Had the damaged root been really worrying her I am sure you would have seen some symptoms - I had an abscess for a couple of years and was aware of various minor arthritis symptoms, but no mouth pain. In any case it is good that it is sorted, and it will be interesting to see how she behaves with it gone.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Roots are odd things, some can stay in for years and not give a problem, others can be a painful nightmare. I'm glad she is sorted now, and it is nothing more serious.

Reversing into things is something all drivers do at some point I'm sure. My Father was one of those overly confident drivers, who used to mock those that had accidents and would never admit to doing anything wrong, right up until he backed out the old carriage house that acted as a garage, straight into one of the dental nurse's cars. He actually seemed a bit sheepish at that one.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Oh dear Ruth I have a good one about Dad driving. We had one of those Citroen CX huge things with 3 rows of seats and we had all driven to my grandparents in the south of France together, my dad had to leave us there and get home for a job. The car had been playing up so he fitted a red push button under the bonnet to operate the starter from there in case of emergency. All went well on the way home but once there one morning the car wouldn't start so he pressed the big red button and the car started ... not just the engine, it wandered slowly across the very busy main road towards the plate glass window of the Indian shop opposite - with my dad dancing in front of it repeating "Stop! Stop! No, no, no, stop!" and then his desperate pleas were answered as one of those tiny thin sign posts stood bravely in the way. It stopped the car but it bent over a long way. As my relieved dad sat down exhausted on the bonnet, two police officers wandered up. They had seen the whole thing, and despite seeing the funny side, my dad had to pay for the post. It doesn't end there. A few weeks later, someone else demolished the new post, but no police officers were there to see it, and for the remaining years we lived there my dad complained bitterly how HIS post that he had PAID for had been vandalised.

Anyway - yes it's true about teeth, I was sitting on a mostly painless massive infection for several years which we have discussed before, Ruth I remember you and me being opposite with our dental issues. Yes fjm it's very true, but still doesn't explain how or when those two teeth got so badly damaged. And how that wasn't a lump behind her canine I shall never know. Did they operate on the wrong cat??

Soon be time to go pick her up and hopefully find out more.

Thank you all for your lovely support, you have no idea how helpful it still is.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I once reversed into the one post in an otherwise huge and empty station car park - it was right in my blind spot and did a lot of damage... I find it always helps when you get the first very tiny ding or scratch on a "new" car - means you can now relax a bit!