Blatant plea for sympathy

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blatant plea for sympathy

Post by fjm »

Brain and scent work may help. When I have had to crate rest my dogs Hunt the Treat has been a godsend - tiny 1 kcal treats hidden in low places, so no jumping but lots of sniffing to find them. Sniffing is both fun and tiring. Trick training, choosing tricks that won't stress his joints, could also be a good idea. Glad you are feeling more positive!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

fjm wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:59 pm Brain and scent work may help. When I have had to crate rest my dogs Hunt the Treat has been a godsend - tiny 1 kcal treats hidden in low places, so no jumping but lots of sniffing to find them. Sniffing is both fun and tiring. Trick training, choosing tricks that won't stress his joints, could also be a good idea. Glad you are feeling more positive!
Thank you yes it will be a matter of keeping his brain occupied, thanks for the ideas. Molly has Felix Crispies which he loves too and we have some dried sprats that I already put in scrunched up balls of paper sometimes, those should all be great for search and rescue. I plan to use lead walks time to improve his lead walking, as I'm sure pulling must be a massive strain on his knees even though he pulls much less now than before, but you can never have a dog too good on lead and it will teach me how to teach a dog anyway. Keep my brain busy!

Our home is a big part of what makes this extra challenging, not just the carrying in the stairs. It's almost impossible to change the layout with furniture because it's small with a lot of stuff already, I found an excellent website https://therehabvet.com/ that actually give realistic and sensible advice as I can't see him literally in a crate for 3 months! You know you have good advice from someone who understands when you read "This can be tricky to get right, especially if your dog is lively." And we can't give him the run of a room, one has a huge sofa that he loves and the other a mattress on the floor that is still about 14 inches high and apparently has to be jumped on ( :roll: ). So we have bought him a German Shepherd crate for nights in our bedroom and for the day we have 1m high playpen fencing, 8 panels 80cm wide, so initially he can have a small space like under the table and we can extend to the end of the room 1.5 x 3.5 metres and even more by excluding the sofa and chair. Just those with a new suitable bed (to avoid the rearranging activity he enjoys with blankets) plus xrays and pain meds have so far clocked up the first £1000, and the surgeon hasn't even met him yet.

I wonder if in the future we could recycle that GSD crate for introducing foster cats ....................................................

Thank you so much fellow CC members for your support with my dog challenges on a cat forum, I am really very grateful.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

There is always humour if you care to let it find you.

This is the assembly instruction sheet for the dog's pen. At least, that's what I thought it was!

138341934_10159350614362975_806322709259162765_o.jpg
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Love it - obviously inspired by the Wise Men of Gotham fencing in the cuckoo!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

haha yes. It is actually really good, light but solid, and should the hinge pegs get lost or damaged they could easily be replaced with any old coathanger wire or something. And could double up for rounding up sheep or ducks!

Ok so vet rang and we have a revised date, Friday 22nd January. Much, much sooner than I expected.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

That's good - not long at all. We actually managed a "proper" walk today. Only a mile, but met several dogs and their humans and were able to stride along under blue skies and sunshine without fear of slipping on ice. It seems to have been slippery for weeks!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds so lovely, the simplest things! And a mile isn't to be sniffed at.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Yes - this pandemic has certainly made us appreciate the small things. We had a family Skype yesterday and me nephew was saying what a lovely day it had been - he bumped into an old friend while walking and they had a long natter, masked and distanced, and then he did a bit of essential shopping and spent the afternoon fixing his partner's bike. All small, normal things that would hardly register in less crazy times, but are now so special.

Hope the dog is enjoying his bird cage!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I'm the one feeling rough today, a headache I can't shift, very sleepy. Cancelled dentist, what a shame.

Fjm remember the Aristocats? When Madame's attorney George comes to write her Will, and wants to take the stairs, and butler Edgar asks if we could please take the elevator? His response - "That birdcage? Poppycock! Elevators are for old people!"

He's not in it yet, not until after the op. He does wander into his open crate every night when we go to bed though, to look around before coming to settle on the bed. He will be just fine, if we are. I'm forever reminding people to mind their own emotions as our pets are so tuned in to them, and so often being reminded of it by my own animals. OH remarked how dog seemed more settled and cat was less grumpy and was it coincidence? No, I suddenly realised, it's not coincidence, it's us.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

So true! I had to explain to the vet that Sophy's miserable aspect and diarrhoea when Poppy was very ill was very probably related to my stress - and the speed with which she recovered once Poppy was out of danger and I began to relax confirmed it. Then there was the occasion I convinced myself she was going into anaphylactic shock following a wasp sting - I thought I was coping quite well with a trembling, shaking dog until the vet nurse took her from me and announced that there was absolutely nothing the matter with her. A few seconds later my shoulders had dropped from around my ears, and Sophy was prancing around demanding treats.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh, that is really quite extreme but a very good illustration of the principle! Is there such a thing as Munchausen By Proxy for pets? And I shouldn't poke fun at that syndrome either, it made my aunt's shortened life a miserable one.

I don't suppose anyone caught the TV dog trainer Graeme somebody last night on Dogs Behaving Very Badly? A collie that had spent a year obsessed with its own reflection in anything from mirrors to the oven door, completely fixated, ever since they got anther dog a year ago. Graeme observed that the dog wasn't actually looking at himself, he was staring at them in the reflection. When left alone he was a normal dog. Their anxious response to his odd behaviour had kept it going and it was fixed in minutes.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

At last the mutt is operated upon and returned home. To say the flat has been turned upside down is an understatement, but we've absolutely got the right kit for him and I am really pleased having everything so well prepared.

Although he came out of the vets on 3 of his own legs, he sort of collapsed once he was in the car and knew he was with us and on his way home, and I had to lift him out and carry him in and up the stairs. I shouldn't laugh (but I do) I then put him down on the floor to get his den and bed ready and he couldn't stay awake or hold up his own weight in a sitting position so I had to get OH to hold him up, and as soon as I lifted him into his den he flumped over and zonked out. We just unclipped his carry sling and harness and I'll be staying up with him, all night if need be, until he is awake.

The nurse made me laugh. Tonight, only toilet and on the lead ... yeah, day one of 8 weeks love! Back to the vets to check the wound Tuesday, cold and warm compresses, gentle physio, stitches out in 10-14 days, if he's doing well start hydro in 4 weeks, x-ray check at 8 weeks.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I've been thinking of you today - glad the op is safely over and you have everything so well planned for his recovery. The eight weeks will pass swiftly once you have the routine established, and then it will be Spring, and the equinox, and long hours of daylight to mooch around and gradually build his strength back up. The dogs and I actually had a walk this afternoon without getting wet or slithering on snow and ice - I am hoping it is a harbinger of better days ahead!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Glad the operation went well, good luck for the recovery for all of you, I know Lucy's wasn't easy on either of us!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Thank you both kindly. Yes I know one day I'll look back with a laugh and rose tinted specs.

I was starting to wonder if I should worry, as it's now 5 hours since we picked him up and since we arrived home he hasn't moved, opened his eyes or woken up, beyond the occasional paw twitch and eye flicker. And the groans. Then I remembered the weeks after my bone graft operation, which is probably about on a par, so concern is on hold until morning. I've never known an animal like this after surgery though, he hasn't even wanted a wee or had a drink - and he hasn't had his evening meds either.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Glad the operation went well, and fingers crossed that he is feeling a little better this morning.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

How is he this morning? Sounds as though whatever pain relief he had during the op was pretty effective!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

He has got steadily brighter through the day, the trip to toilet does take it out of him (and me) so I'm trying to establish a toilet trip every 3 to 4 hours whether he asks or not. He does not like going on the lead let alone in his straight jacket but I'm reluctant to take it off and put back on outside in the cold. I remember from my own injuries how cold and painful a metal plate gets against the bone. He is eating a bit and now drinking of his own accord and I'm getting to grips with the timing of meds to maintain the routine of mealtimes while spreading doses fairly evenly through 24 hours. He does not accept the recommended ice pack though!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I'm glad he is feeling better and you are coping. I have reminders set on my computer for Poppy's meals and meds - 4 meals spread through the day, and 4 or 5 tablets, one of which is best on an empty stomach. I cook chicken breast from Durham Animal Feeds and always have a few chunks defrosted to stuff the tablets in. Once Poppy learned the routine she has been pretty good about reminding me, usually 20 minutes early!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Fjm I think of you because of Poppy - heard tale today, one of OH's friends I think or maybe through social media, of a man who broke his leg and soon after spent £300 on x-rays and tests for his lurcher who was limping badly ... nothing wrong with the dog at all and the limp vanished once he was better.

Well. You think you know your cat, after nearly 8 years, and they bowl you a googly.

I originally fenced off the end of the room for the dog but as much as he likes to lie under the table it's by choice, and being confined there was miserable. So as long as we were there, which was all weekend, we let him out, and kept a close eye on him. Not close enough incidentally but that's the next story. With OH now back at work and me with a lot to catch up on including tax return before deadline of this week I thought this seemed unfair. So I barricaded the dangerous bedroom and set up the fencing around the dangerous things in the living room, namely the sofa and the chair. Dog is relaxed and happier, so that's a result.

But I hadn't reckoned with Molly. She only ever perches on the arm to demand treats from OH or on the back to get my mealtime titbits (table is out of bounds at the moment) but the comfy seats are lava and with very few very brief exceptions have been for 8 years. Until, that is, it was caged. She took the tiny gap I left for her, hopped up, and is sleeping peacefully next to me.

Not close enough supervision ... it was 4.30 Saturday morning, 12 hours post op, and he was still totally out of it, comatose. Had made no attempt to move, refused water, no food meant he had missed his evening meds, only lifted his head twice to look around with his goofy tongue stuck out. Molly distracted me for seconds. I turned around the patient was on the sofa. When I reacted he jumped back down again. He knows now he is not allowed on it but poor love doesn't understand why this kind, gentle, attentive person who has taken him on walks and let him on every piece of furniture for 3 years is suddenly behaving just like the last one, no walks and no furniture and confining him to a cage.

Every toilet break he is asking to go to the park, though. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I hear you. I spend a small fortune on special food, supplements and metronidazole for Poppy, cook low fat chicken for additional protein, carefully spacing out meals to ensure optimal nutrition, avoiding anything that might trigger nausea or diarrhoea which are always hovering in the background, and the instant I take my eyes off her she is off scrounging round the neighbour's bird table, or finding some invisible but undesirable something in the grass by the path. There is absolutely no way of explaining the reasons for rules in a way they can understand...

I think this may be the limping dog story you mean: https://thebark.com/content/limping-dog ... con-artist

I have a dog ramp still in its box in the garage, bought when Sophy's back was so bad she didn't want me to lift her. Message me if it would be of use to you.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Thank you fjm very kind of you. We did order a ramp back in October that still hasn't arrived, but I'm not convinced he would use it, except possibly for the car. I'd have to fence it off on both sides to stop him jumping up and down, it's easier to sit on the floor with him for cuddles.

He finally produced a poop last night, first one since Thursday night, and I actually cheered! First check-up tonight. The vets rang on Saturday morning, a nurse and then the vet which I missed because I was on the phone with the nurse. Then she rang Sunday morning while they are closed, I think just in case we needed to get in touch urgently because she was about to take her own dogs for a walk. And we were given her home phone number as well in case of any weekend emergencies, as the out of hours service would not know any of the history. I really can't fault this vet except for not doing their own out of hours any more as they did when I joined up.

Anyway another diversion, now I'm furloughed my car battery had been getting sluggish and finally died last week, or so I thought. But it was very odd as it's only 2 years old and in less than a week it had gone so flat I couldn't even open the doors. So we went to an automotive electrician who spent two hours on it and fixed several faults "while he was at it" because being an 18 year old car it has many faults. A dead battery was not among them though. The battery was being drained by an ancient phone system that had not been properly removed. Wow. So for less than the price the RAC were going to charge me for a new battery, and without all the sarcasm and head-shaking and tutting from their guy and the mutterings of "alternator" and "issues with the door locks" hopefully that is a proper fix.

And the tax return deadline is extended!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

A whole galaxy of bright spots! It's very reassuring to know you can get advice for the dog over the phone immediately, and I agree with cheering a Poo. I keep a record of Poppy's after our trials and tribulations in the summer - in these days we need all the causes for celebration we can find, and if that is a firm poo rather than a splat so be it. And I have had exactly that experience of tutting with Green Flag - first chap said the battery was fine; three hours later another call out led to a replacement... At least the second time it was tutting over the bad advice given earlier!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

So glad that some things are going well for you. Only another pet owner can understand how excited we can get when one poops.

Going back 20 years or so, I worked at an electroplaters that plated parts for the car industry. Of course the bosses had the trade magazines for the car industry delivered and as one of my jobs was opening the post I got to flick through them. I will always remember seeing an article on how one of the manufactures of the posher cars, possibly Mercedes or someone like that, had decided to redesign the electronic aspect of their cars and in doing so, were removing over 600 electronic systems. I guess many were being combined into a single system and things like that, but I sat there trying to work out how a car could have 600 electronic systems in it.

I got my tax return done a couple of weeks ago and got the tax paid last week, which is always a weight off the mind.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

We've been for our first post-op check, after that unless there's anything drastic I only plan to update again after his xray in 6-8 weeks, because he's still a dog and this is still a cat forum. Although I have got a few cat comments about it all.

The surgeon's post-op info and instructions are interesting. Metacam to continue for 3 weeks but stop the gabapentin tomorrow and paracetamol Friday, which feels like soon to me but ok. Toilet breaks only for 2 weeks then start 5 minute lead walks (slow walk no trotting) "If comfortable and bearing weight" then -
Pet should start putting foot to the floor within 7 days (done day 1) - taking a fair degree of weight by 2 weeks (done day 2) - we would expect almost full weight bearing by 4 weeks (intermittently by today, day 4) so should be no problem starting those 5 minute walks and setting up hydrotherapy when we go to have stitches removed next Wednesday.

Talking of stitches, they look great, they are now uncovered and we have an inflatable collar if needed, I'm not sure whether to put it on him or not as he has licked but I think it's more at the shaved leg than the wound or stitches.

If this sounds like great news, it is and it isn't. He's "doing more than we want him to at this stage" and really needs to slow down. Didn't even tell her he was pulling towards the park from Saturday evening, the vet realised without this additional info that we needed to let him experience a little discomfort to put the brakes on. So he tried to jump into the car. We got home and he picked up his pig and squeaked it at me, inviting me to a rough game where I am supposed to smack him around the head while he squeaks the toy and growls a lot. Believe it or not when his leg was painful he did actually play this game sitting down, while I was much more gentle than usual.

Now - I did say I was coming back to the feline. What is it that both my animals like to play rough, with games involving me beating them about the head and body? Dog is of course entirely naturally confused at the new rules about no stairs, no sofa, no bed, no running around, toilet on the lead, no walks, and all these new beds crates and pens. He learns very quickly, but he still feels a little unsure. Probably because in his last home there were a lot of restrictions that vanished when he came here 3 years ago, so in some ways it's a big step backwards even though there is love and cuddles and gentleness, and even no is said kindly. So he needs the reassurance that he is still loved, and he has to ask for affection he used to demand jumping up on laps and furniture, and I am giving it. Which brings us back to Molly.

Molly sees the dog receiving much more attention, and because he can't join us on the bed and I have to put him in a cage before I can get on the bed with her, by which time the moment's kind of passed. So there is a lot of adjusting for her too, not to mention things moving around and new things. She has taken it all so well in her stride, but she is that unique Molly mix of grumpy and needy, with a large pinch of jealous. It takes me back to the early days 7 years ago when I had to manage the three-way relationship of myself, Boo and her. Now, it's me, dog and her.

This is a whole lot longer than I planned, but then, a lot of things seem to work out that way these days.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I'm glad he is doing so well, and can quite see why the vet wants to reduce pain relief just enough to encourage him to slow down.

It will be interesting to see how Molly adapts. Tilly has learned a great deal from watching the dogs - careful observation showed her that planting bottoms on ground led to pieces of chicken, and that being in the queue after teeth cleaning gets a lick of their toothpaste, amongst other new habits. Both cats expect to join in for Scrummy Medicine - Poppy gets chicken with tablets, everyone else just gets chicken. In fact there are now so many fixed points and rituals in the animals' day it can be hard to get anything else done!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Glad to hear that snoopy is doing so well. It would be so much easier if we could explain the restrictions to animals. A friend i once knew had a horse that pulled a tendon, several weeks stable rest with short walks on a lead rein, followed by several more weeks stable and field rest. The stable rest didn't go badly, but the field rest was a nightmare (no pun in tended), he got bored cooped in the stable with just a short walk, and when let out into the field would insist on galloping up and down the length of it, which meant that he was in real danger of damaging the tendon again. So he had to come of the painkillers. It was so hard to see him hobbling around the field but the only way that they could stop him hurting himself again and having to go back to square one with his recovery.

Don't worry about posting whenever there is something to say, cat or dog related, i doubt anyone on here minds reading about your dog's recovery, and if they do they don't need to read the thread.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Oh joy... Guess who started limping really badly on Saturday, and today was diagnosed with a partial tear of the cruciate ligaments.

Poor little Poppy-dog really doesn't need any more issues. On the plus side she only weighs 5 kilos even carrying the extra weight from a year on steroids for her liver failure, and should do reasonably well with conservative treatment. And she is small enough to be easily carried, which does help. But I was hoping we could start building up to longer walks as the weather improves.

Any advice on managing it without surgery gratefully received by PM, Mollycat!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Oh no so sorry for this news, after everything you're already handling! That ramp might be coming in handy then.

I'll message you as well, probably in the morning, but in brief, in case anyone else finds it helpful -

Small dogs have a chance of conservative treatment being successful, medium to large have a very poor chance of getting away without surgery. But complete rest has to be complete rest, if that's what is prescribed. Is Poppy very active and bouncy by nature? Snoop snuck up on the sofa again yesterday, right next to OH, vindicating my apparent paranoia.

I found this which explains a lot in great and sympathetic detail https://therehabvet.com/ with lots of things you wouldn't necessarily think of, like in my case slippery floors (we don't have any but the weather puts some outside sometimes!)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Poor Poppy, one more issue! Fingers crossed you can manage it without surgery