Moving house with 2 elderly cats

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Moving house with 2 elderly cats

Post by ladymissk »

Hi I am moving house in about 3-4 weeks with 2 elderly cats, one is actualy 17 and the other is a mere baby at 10! The oldest one Milo has had a stroke about a year ago which has left him very wobbly on his legs, hes also deaf but hes fine and loves pottering round his garden. Im terrified the move will really frighten him. I know i cant let him out for a few weeks, but i was just wondering if anyone has any advice or has had a similar situation? The vet saaaid to try and avoid stress, hes also on blood pressure tablets, so I need to make this as easy as possible for him. Thanks in advance. :D
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Moving house with 2 elderly cats

Post by Mollycat »

Aw lovely good on you for planning ahead. You could use a calming plug-in like Feliway or Pet Remedy both before and after the move, also Zylkene is pretty popular as a herbal calming aid, it's a powder you can sprinkle on their food and quite palatable.

To help the move - if possible prepare a room in advance with lots and lots of familiar smelling items from the old house, soft furnishings, and don't wash it. Bed clothes, your clothes, everything spread around the safe room as much as possible. Don't clean the litter trays too well and leave enough of their scent in there to smell like home to them. If you use any air fresheners normally at home, use those in the new home. Plus of course their beds unwashed, their bowls, toys, treats, and their favourite of your clothes also preferably unwashed. Be sure not to change washing powder straight away too.

You might want to keep them in their carriers at first when you reach the new house. You might prefer to have them boarded for a week while you move, as if you were on holiday but then they come to their new home. But if you are moving with them then they will know something is off when you start packing. Once there, keep your routine as much as you possibly can, feeding times, getting up and going to bed times, etc, even playtime. If there is work to be done in the new house, postpone it if you can until you're sure they are settled.

And despite all the stuff you have to do, like unpacking, be sure to give the cats plenty of time and most of all be calm and confident, they will pick up on any anxiety you have and it will make them anxious.
ladymissk
Experienced Cat Chatter

Re: Moving house with 2 elderly cats

Post by ladymissk »

Thanks Mollycat, some great advice. I have ordered the pet remedy diffuser and spray. Unfortunately with this house being a new build, we cant move in any bedding ect until the day we move, but i have all their stuff ready, and un washed! Thanks for your reply. x