Advice please

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Sarnie
New Cat Chatter

Advice please

Post by Sarnie »

hi all. I have inherited two outside cats when I moved into this house. They have become friendly, one likes to be stroked, one just likes to wrap himself around my legs. I feed them regularly and they patiently wait for their food each morning outside my window. I have provided them with medium size kennels and put a cat bed in each along with a heat blanket. I do worry though for the winter months. They like to step inside the kitchen as long as the door is open but I cannot do this in the winter so they will be outside all the time. Is there anything else I can do to ensure they are warm when the cold weather comes?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice please

Post by Kay »

I have an outdoor cat too, and until recently two - I think the positioning of the outside kennel matters more than anything - wet is worse than cold I think, and you need the entrance facing in the direction the weather is least likely to come from - east and north for me

I have put a Mr Snugs inside a unused concrete coal bunker, and have propped an acrylic sheet over the entrance, with a tarpaulin draped over that, to keep off wind and rain - in the colder months I put a heat reflective pad inside, along with a Mr Snugs liner

if you can keep them dry, and if they snuggle up together, I think you will find they do OK - if you are still worried about them, I would ask around your nearest neighbours, to see if anyone has a shed or garage they would allow you to put the kennel in