Dilemma

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MurphyandMittens
Returning Cat Chatter

Dilemma

Post by MurphyandMittens »

My mum lives out in a rural area and there is a cat about 2 yrs old now, we got to know originally when it was a kitten due to a family down from her having quite a few all at the same time and they just explored the area by themselves ! ( that didn't seem right to us at the time for such young animals to be left like that)

I suspect they don't really care well for this particular cat....would happily have taken the kitten away ourselves earlier based on what my mum described these people like, but decided to do the right thing we thought and not got involved.

We now have our own beautiful 2 little monsters, brother and sister...in fact they were our crutch when we lost our 18yr old (kitty) and filled a huge void that was left.
As a consequence we know what a good healthy cat thats been eating well should look like, as ours have been spoiled plus also get the outside access whenever possible (but we don't lock them out....ever)

My mother has recently came back from abroad for a bit of a while, and the cat still pops round to visit her as hes so affectionate....we love him too....but he looks like hes not being well cared for?
He did get really spoilt though with a feed with ham and chicken I insisted my mum give him - he wolfed it.
He seemed like he couldn't have been much more than 2Kg....seemed really small around the belly and I picked him up and he coated my shirt with flea dirt......

I'm going to take some treatment to do him next weekend (I've got left over as we don't use it, it expires this month anyway - its Frontline and out vet gave us Advocate for ours more recently)
I asked my mother to ensure he gets a bit of a feed now and again, although she won't have him in because of the fleas so will have to be well down the garden.....but I don't think this "nice" family really goes out of their way to look after him ?

Noting his flea issue has come up before but my mother had a word with these people who apparently said they would go to vets for a jab or something....bull as I've never heard of a jab for fleas myself. Hes certainly no better now for fleas than he was months ago.

At what point with cats does such a case become a cruelty case as in my experience of the RSPCA (plus cats of other peoples) cats like that are quite common and they don't really either care or have the ability to impact on the problem.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: Dilemma

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Personally I would take him in, get him cleaned up and seen to by the vet and just hang on to him. If he chooses to go "home", so be it, but if you encourage him inside to live and see to his needs and he's happy to say, let him stay. I doubt your neighbours could prove that the cat belongs to them, if a push came to a shove. Try to take care of the fleas before he's allowed to wander freely around your house though, otherwise you might end up with a plague on your hands. Gentle fusses to the poor little lad. :)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

The best thing to do in cases of welfare issues is to lodge your concerns with the RSPCA’s cruelty and advice line. Describe the circumstances and they will be able to advise if it warrants an inspector’s visit. The number is: 0300 1234 999, and your call will be kept confidential.
MurphyandMittens
Returning Cat Chatter

Just a quick reply.

Spoke to RSPCA before and I'm afraid wouldn't waste my or their time again, with regard to cat welfare
(it seems it has to be a severe case of mistreatment to raise an eyebrow from them)

Secondly for my mothers, we WILL be helping (planning to go next week with the Frontline with is about to go out of date anyway, and the food)

However, she won't have him in, as he sneeked in before and it cost her hundreds having the place fumegated ! So we will have to nurture him from her garden only unfortunately,

Doesn't sound like a cat being looked after well, at least as far as parasites is concerned does it. But at least we can have some small impact.
I'll remember to take pics this time, so we can track his progress/health
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Mmm that's a tough one. Both Lyn and Janey are giving good advice.
First of all if the little man is use to you, it should be fairly easy to dose him with Frontline yourself. He is probably picking up ticks too. So the Frontline will help with those beggars.
Our vet works with a local animal welfare charity. If you have concerns about a stray/feral cat and can get it to the vet they will check him over and give emergency treatment free of charge - they also neuter strays. I have used this service on a few occasions (I also support the charity!) If you could get him treated this way and the parasites dealt with, would your mum take him then?

It does not sound like the neighbours are that bothered by what happens to him. But whatever the case cats choose where they want to live.
When I lived in the 'burbs, I knew a cat who just decided to move house. She would spend most of the day sitting at her 'owners' gate. One day she walked across the road and sat outside a neighbour's gate - she never went back!
My sister's cat arrived the same way and our Tommy was once a neighbour's cat. He moved out when she got 2 terriers (without his consent :lol: )
I think if I lived in a town I would contact the RSPCA. As you live in the country, I'd treat him as my cat and let him decide.
MurphyandMittens
Returning Cat Chatter

We will keep an eye out for him so he won't starve.
Trouble is my mum does occasionally have to travel etc so struggles to take on that he would become "her" cat but he obviously wants to be ! She needs some convincing !

Makes me worry about our own, as will be moving shortly (bigger place), just hope its up the cats street as I don't want them to come back to here and lose either of them !
They know I love them both to death and so hopefully wouldn't take lightly.
They are rescued and siblings I believe - when they aren't having a bit of sibling rivalry its nice for them to be together.

Plan to keep ours on a harness after moving for the longest possible time to accommodate them to the area and then and only then to let them venture for themselves much later. Well thats the plan !

They do love it here though, they have a lookout post (flat) to the surrounding area then connected gardens they can easily nip from one to another. Hope the new place doesn't let them down to keep them happy.
MurphyandMittens
Returning Cat Chatter

Good news
Cat is well and has been visiting, we patiently hung around hoping he'd come around (had dog with us but kept out the way hoping to see him) he finally did

Now been frontlined so thats done.

Also dropped some food off with my mum and hes obviously really doing well now.
Nowhere near the size of our male but then hes a big ****, but looks a lot healthier now - I think so long as he pops into my mum frequently as he tends to do all will be well.

If the fleas are kept in order to maybe just maybe my mum will let him in her house too !
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

We live in a rural area.

Our Squeak and Grey were feral farm cats who very much adopted us!

Could your mum give this kitty an outdoor shelter. We started with a kennel, before they initially moved into the garage, then the house! We provided warm beds as well as food, water treats and cuddles :D

Great news you succeeded with the flea treatment. You might need to repeat if it's a bad infestation :?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news... one step at a time. That's how Tommy came to join the family!
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

:lol: :D