Wet cat food for kitten necessary?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Gamianc
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Wet cat food for kitten necessary?

Post by Gamianc »

Hi all. Brought kitty back home from his first vet visit and she mentioned that wet cat food is not required for kittens, only dry food, Is this true? I’ve been providing both for the past two months since i got him (he’s now 5.5 months old) I can buy good expensive food, I often play slot machine that I found on this website top-slotmachine.com/ and win big money.
Last edited by Gamianc on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Wet cat food for kitten necessary?

Post by Ruth B »

Personally I believe that all cat, no matter their age, benefit from eating wet food. There is certainly evidence that a totally dry diet can cause kidney and bladder problems in cats, particularly if they don't drink enough water, and drinking lots of water is unnatural for cats which have evolved to gain much of their fluid intake from what they eat. I also feel that feeding just dry would be like asking a person if they just wanted to eat cornflakes, granted a type of cornflake that was packed with all the nutrition that a person needs, but just cornflakes, and with out any milk added. That said with the carefully formulated foods that are about a cat can live on just one type of dried food and be physically healthy. In my opinion unless there is a real need to only feed a specific food then a good varied diet of wet and dry is the best option no matter what the age of the cat.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm surprised a vet would suggest dry food only for a Male cat as they are more prone to urinary issues and they are a lot more severe
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Wet food is definitely preferable because of two things - protein content vs carbs, and water content. Plus, the more variety a kitten has in its diet, the more foods it is exposed to early and accepts, the easier your life will be later on when maybe health conditions, recipe changes and just the finicky nature of the cat can start to put a great deal of stress on you. I would also introduce as a treat some real meat, raw or cooked, that a kitten really has to chew on, a decent size piece - much better for keeping teeth and gums in condition than any dry food and healthier than commercial treats.