taking a cat on holiday in UK

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Felix19+
Frequent Cat Chatter

taking a cat on holiday in UK

Post by Felix19+ »

Does anyone in UK have experience of taking their cat on holiday with them eg staying in a holiday cottage or taking them in caravan etc - pros and cons and how did they manage ?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: taking a cat on holiday in UK

Post by fjm »

I have done it in the past, both on holiday and backwards and forwards between my own house and my parents'. It can work if your cat is very attached to you, and used to travelling and settling, but there is always a risk of them panicking and getting lost. I took great care to familiarise them with the surrounding area, either on a leash or, with cats that were used to walking with me, by exploring with them little by little. Toby-cat lived with me in a small touring caravan on a caravan site for a month when I was waiting for a house move to complete and loved it, but he was young, very friendly and very confident. I also once took an elderly cat to a hotel when I had no alternative - not so successful as the staff loved her and would insist on giving her milk, with horrible results all over the carpet... Then there is the journey to consider - 5 hours with a howling cat is Not Fun, nor is the cat getting out of the carrier while you are on the outside lane of the M6 - just try driving while gripping a cat's scruff with the hand needed to change gears, manoeuvring safely onto the hard shoulder, extracting a pair of tights from a suitcase in the boot, wrestling the cat back into the carrier and tying the lid back on, all with heavy traffic whipping past a few feet away.

These days I prefer to leave them at home where very kind neighbours feed them and keep an eye on them, or to use an excellent local boarding cattery.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I have always dreamed of a cat that would go with me anywhere, perched on my shoulder like a parrot.

Boo was supposed to be a cat with a holiday home at my mum's, he was a good traveller and very chilled and this was all agreed before I took him on, as I was often away weekends for work. But by the time he settled at home he had already shown how lonely he was for his own kind, and Molly is absolutely not a transportable cat, and as at the same time my mother had to move into a sheltered place where pets are not allowed, that put the kybosh on our plans before they ever got started. She comes to stay when I or we are away now, especially since a dog has been added.

My old cat Misha lived with my mum and holidayed with me, then lived with me and holidayed back at my mum's. Each time the first stay at a new house was a bit stressful and I kept her in for at least a couple of weeks, but the second time arriving was "Oh cool I'm back here again" and settled straight away, able to go out and everything.
Felix19+
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Felix19+ »

thank u for your replies - I was thinking of getting a Bongo camper van as now retired want to get around UK and don't want to be leaving a new cat behind as circumstances are different now as neighbours have passed or moved away - I've taken Felix away to stay in holiday cottages (but many seem happy to take dogs but not cats) she was fine travelling in the car but I may just have been lucky with her (she liked to sit on back shelf of car when it was parked at home)

I was hoping I might get a few more replies from campers who may have taken their cats away ?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I met one camper van owner who travelled with his cat. He ended up leaving her behind in a local car park when she refused to be caught. I had his name and address, and when I later managed to catch her (at the cost of a subsequent visit to the GP for jabs and bandaging) I dropped off the cat at a local rescue along with her owner's details. He refused to take her back... It was an unhappy experience all round. I think it could work if the cat were accustomed to travelling from a very young age, but it might severely limit the places you could stay - lots to consider.

Perhaps it is time to think about getting a dog?
Felix19+
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Felix19+ »

Thank you for your reply - what a nightmare for the cat and you! That guy shouldn't have any cat to abandon. Getting a dog has been suggested to me before but although I like dogs and enjoy taking a family dog long walks I love cats more. I am a cat person and think a dog would be too tying as I live on my own and dogs need even more company. Thanks again.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I think you could do everything possible to bring up a kitten to be a happy traveller, but in the end it will be the luck of the draw, and it would be hard to have all these plans thwarted because your kitten just doesn't have that kind of personality. We've all heard of Streetcat Bob but truth is he is a very, very unusual cat, who chose a human with the right personality to match his. Some people say you can get a cat used to anything if you start young enough, but it's not true, no more than saying babies can be accustomed to eating all vegetables and fish - some simply won't no matter how early they are introduced. I know it is possible. My uncle's girlfriend had one that travelled everywhere and was allowed to roam as soon as she arrived anywhere and her safe base was wherever momma was, but you can't be sure that will happen.
Felix19+
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Felix19+ »

Thanks for that - yes it is so true it could be the luck of the draw - I have been lucky in the past - the first tabby cat we had I took her on holiday where we stayed in a cottage and I took (or she took me) round the back garden on a lead first day until she got used to surroundings - 3rd day we left the bedroom window open so she could get in and out she was fine. My last cat followed me everywhere although she was quite independent and was fine travelling in the car for long periods and staying in cottages that were in quiet spots with outside space and she would happily investigate the area walking with me but she was very special and I may not get that again with another cat - I could only hope but if not would have to play things differently. A Bongo may be a step too far (which I think I already know but hope I'm wrong) it would depend on the cat.

Thanks for your input.