How high is your cat flap?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jodie
Frequent Cat Chatter

How high is your cat flap?

Post by Jodie »

How high is your cat flap from the ground, either inside bottom measurement or inside top?

Just moved house and chap came to install new cat flap today in the wall. As it's in the extension the floor is quite high, so we know we'll have to put a substantial step in outside. The only problem is he's put it in lower than I thought (the top of the inside is 11.5") and I'm worried it's too low. Think my female will manage it but not sure about my boy.

The chap is coming back tomorrow as he decided to line wall with something else. I know it's going to look a terrible mess and he probably won't have time, but worrying about whether to increase height an inch or so.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: How high is your cat flap?

Post by meriad »

Sorry Jodie, just seen this and not at home so can't measure (and it's probably too late now).

I do know that the one in the lounge doors is quite a bit higher than the one in the bedroom window and the cats manage both just fine.

My brother and his wife recently had a new door fitted and the people fitted their catflap quite low and their cat is just fine; you'd be surprised how cats can (and do) manage. And just looking at a ruler 11.5" for the top should be more than OK and one inch isn't going to make much difference.

Personally for now I'd leave it and see how the cats get on with it, and then only if you think they're struggling have the hole raised up ;-)
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Hi Jodie
I've just measured mine and it's exactly 11.5" to the top on the inside, a bit more on the outside. It's been used for over 20 years by cats of various sizes without problem, so I don't think you need worry, and it's said that ...Where there's a will, there's a way!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I don't have a catflap, but all my cats have to access our garden from the courtyard by crawling through a 7.5 inch gap under the doors to the garage. We moved here earlier in the year and plan to give them better access, but in the meantime all six of mine, including big chunky Daz, 19 year-old and arthritic Minnie and Basil-with-a-gammy-leg, are using it just fine. I wouldn't worry - I doubt it's worth making a mess of the installation to move it.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Hi Jodie
Is the cat flap now in place, and if so, is it being used?