Newcomer

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lyndy
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Newcomer

Post by Lyndy »

Hello

I am new to this site and thought I would introduce myself and some furry friends. I am not a cat owner per se, but I enjoyed 14 years of my sister’s cat, Sammy, staying with me a few times a year. He was a quiet, chilled out boy, all black, and passed away after an illness last year. I still miss the little guy. On the small estate where I live, are long-time cat residents, two lovely tortoiseshell girls who live together and a sweet, big black/white/tabby mix girl. They like to pop in and out of my home and sometimes chill with me. Their names are John, Michael and Tom. Yes. Don’t ask!

Back in February this year, two new “kids on the block” arrived, popping through my kitchen window and investigating. They were young, adorable and friendly. They were back the following day and the day after, staying longer each time. They would sit on my lap, or play or cuddle up together for a nap. So cute. They belonged to my new neighbour. I think they decided that when she was out, my home would suit them nicely, as their visits became a daily routine. Their names are Socks and Snowy; they are brothers and have two homes!

Socks is a handsome, black and white cat. He loves lap time and a cuddle, is playful and the most vocal cat I have ever known. Apart from the usual “meow”, there is a “rrow-ow-urrr” which means “play with me or I will run around your home in a demented way”. Sometimes he sounds like a cow mooing. He also says “oh” in a petulant way when I dislodge him from my computer chair. What is it about that chair? There are other, more comfortable places, but he must have my computer chair. Why, we’ve even had a race across the room who’s going to get there first. It’s not me. I tried a compromise – me chair, him lap. Not good enough. He squeezes behind me and wriggles around, until somehow I am perched on the edge and he is sprawled comfortably. When I need to go out, I jangle the keys and he runs to the door. Good boy! Sometimes he will come for a walk with me, trotting at my side like a dog. Funny boy! And he brings me “presents”. Bad boy.

Snowy is mainly white, with a black and silver striped tail, and tan and black patches on his face. He is beautiful, with big, soulful eyes. In complete contrast to Socks, Snowy is very quiet. When he does meow, it’s more of a “meh-eh-eh” in a quiet, almost timid way which melts my heart. A little “meh” and I rush to do his bidding – a cuddle, a play, whatever he wants. Mostly, he is chilled out and independent. I write about him in the present tense because the alternative is unthinkable. No-one has seen him since 7th July. We’ve checked with the local vets and rescue places, dropped leaflets through letterboxes around the neighbourhood, checked with the Council. I was touched by how nice and friendly other people were during the leaflet drop, particularly cat owners. They told me stories of how their own cats went missing, turning up weeks, sometimes months later. That gave me hope, although not knowing what has become of him leaves a lump in my throat. I don’t know if Socks is missing his play/cuddle mate. Where the boys used to sit together on the patio wall, or play outside near (but not too close) to the girls, there is now just him. He looks lonely, but then I ‘m thinking in human terms.

The next stage now is to put Snowy on the missing pet boards. Maybe we should have done that first, but better late than never.

Catchat has been a great resource for information. I'm glad I found this site and it’s nice meeting you all.
Attachments
socks3SMall.jpg
(233.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SnowyWhite.jpg
SnowyWhite.jpg (83.24 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Newcomer

Post by Jacks »

Hello and welcome to Cat Chat! Socks and Snowy sound delightful - I have a black tuxedo ex-feral male called Mr Socks who makes all those same weird talky noises! He even mutters and whines in his sleep!

I hope too that Snowy turns up. I'm waiting for news of one of mine who has been sighted near where he was lost and I've given the residents food for him to try and keep him in the area until we can trap him. He was a feral/stray as well, so not as easy as just calling him to me... Cats (and dogs, apparently) tend to get pretty feral if they live rough for a while - but many do not actually wander far from where they were lost. Keep up the good work asking about Snowy and I hope he turns up soon!
Lyndy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Lyndy »

Thank you, Jacks.

I see that you are in Enfield. My sister lives there and cats are always appearing in her garden. She's in Kingsway, off the Southbury Road. If you think your cat could be in that area, I'll ask her to keep an eye out. Sis has a good heart!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Oh goodness! Yes, I'm Enfield and not far from your sister. My Felix was lost in the alley behind Caterhatch Lane and Autumn Close, to the east of the A10. He seems to be hiding in some gardens.

The vet is trying to trap him, but so far they've caught two other cats! Thank you for your good wishes, I miss him terribly although I've only been his mummy for a month :-(
f1.jpg
f1.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
Here is the little lad...
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Gorgeous, both of them. :)

Paws crossed that they are both found.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Welcome to CC Lyndy. It seems you don't need to be a cat owner - cats own you instead. :D I can't think of a better reference.

Very interesting that your sister lives in the same region as Jacks and wouldn't it be fate on a plate if her cat turns up in her garden! Fingers x'd.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Lindy,
welcome to CC. Be very careful, I started with one kitten 11 years ago. Now I have 5 and strays follow me down the street. :roll: My friends call me a cat magnet others, the mad cat woman. :lol:

I know that 'petulant 'oh''. It's about 4 syllables long with an upward inflection? Purdy does it all the time.

They are both very handsome cats. I hope Snowy turns up soon.

That goes for Felix as well. We have a black and white Felix. No one knows who owns him - if anyone does. But he does the rounds, turning up every couple of weeks. He is a funny, stumpy little cat with the strangest meow I've ever heard. In the winter he sometimes comes in to the kitchen and lies on the range (as it cools!) Ours don't seem to mind him - which is very nice of them.

I love Lyn's 'fate on a plate'. It would be nice if it happened like that. Hope so.
Lyndy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Lyndy »

I have emailed Felix's pic to my sister. Both she and her hubby will be on the look-out, weaving their magnetism magic!

Thank you everyone for your comments! Nice to meet you.
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi Lyndy. Welcome!

I hope Snowy turns up soon & thank you so much for sending the pic of Felix across to your sister. I know Jackie will be eternally grateful & wouldn't it just be the strangest twist of fate if this thread bought the little fella back home! X
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hello Lindy and welcome :D