Cat Chat Blog: Living with a Blind Cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lisa-D
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cat Chat Blog: Living with a Blind Cat

Post by Lisa-D »

In the right environment, blind cats can live happy, independent lives.

Blind cats adapt extremely well using their whiskers and incredible sense of smell and hearing. However, there are things their humans can do to make their lives easier.

Find out more in our latest blog post: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/blog/ ... -blind-cat
blog-blind-cat-forum.jpg
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Re: Cat Chat Blog: Living with a Blind Cat

Post by Sniper1 »

Nearly 11 years ago now we took 14 cats and kittens from an elderly man who simply wasn't coping, cat flu was rife amongst them a little ginger and white female kitten we called Amber sadly had to have both eyes removed due to the extent of the ulceration damage she coped really well with common sense adjustments and loved to play with noisy toys that she could follow the sound she was rehomed with her litter brother who thankfully escaped any long term health effects and they are still enjoying life in a normal household together with a large dog and their owners frequently visiting young grandchildren. So yes blind cats can live happy and fulfilled lives with just a little extra care and attention
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

A couple of years ago I took in my Mothers 17 year old cat when my Mother had to move into a nursing home. My parents had had Stroppy since she was a kitten and had always lived at the same house. When we visited, and while i stayed there when my Mother was in hospital, I never noticed anything wrong with Stroppy, she was old, had arthritis and wasn't as active as she used to be, but she still walked around the house and garden perfectly well. When I got her home she found the litter tray, water bowl and food fine and I never thought anything off it. Then I noticed that that there were times when she would almost walk into furniture and change direction at last minute, narrow dining chair legs were the biggest issue, particularly as they got moved around. I started to realise just how limited her vision was. She would jump onto a chair if it was low enough that she could get her front paws on, but jumping off was where she had problems, 18 inches was about her limit. She even learnt to enjoy our garden that Summer, and with the exception of one time when she did manage to get over the fence into the neighbours never had a problem, there was a stack of bark chipping bags in front of the table and I think she must have followed the scent of my other cats up and on to the fence and then went down the wrong side. She answered to her name so locating her wasn't a problem. Ears, nose and whiskers are wonderful things as well as memory, and can guide a cat around a house even if there eyes aren't much help.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

When I was a taxi driver I called at a home and aw a lovely white cat when they opened the door. We got into the journey and I commented on the cat, and they told me the cat was completely deaf and blind. I asked it it was an indoor cat and they said no, not at all. They lived in a quiet cul-de-sac and the cat was free to go outside. If it felt the vibrations of an approaching car it would duck into the garden. Once, they lost it, and eventually found it with some dedicated searching and a strong smelling food lure. The cat was confident, friendly, active and happy. Brave people, but wow, also really amazing, them and their lovely cat.