Neuturing cost

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Petalnick
New Cat Chatter

Neuturing cost

Post by Petalnick »

Hello

We have just adopted a beautiful little girl called Zola and she is settling into our household beautifully

She has been vaccinated and the vet recommend we wait until she is 6 months to get her spayed and microchipped. She is an indoor cat.

We have been quoted £240 to get her spayed which seemed more than what the average cost is looking online. Is that about a normal cost? Or should we look around?

We have no issue paying that and money put away for her health care. Also obviously have insurance for her. Was just a bit higher that we expected.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Neuturing cost

Post by Kay »

top cost in my neck of the woods (West Wales) is around £60, so £240 sounds just wrong

so unless she has a health condition which complicates what is usually a routine op, I would certainly query it
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I had to look too but I seem to remember last time I had a cat spayed the going rate was about £50 with a little extra for midline incision. Now midline is standard but it seems in real terms the costs have come down, there has to be some reason for this huge quote they have given you. Is it perhaps included in a Pet Plan monthly complete routine treatment programme of £20 a month for all vaccines and pest control with microchipping and neutering included, or neutering at a discount?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

It may depend on what is included. Pre-op blood work (not usually needed for a healthy young cat) can be around £100. Having an extra person to monitor the anaesthetic etc can also add to the costs. I would ask the vet for a breakdown, and decide from there.
Miss Tee
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Miss Tee »

Some people can get help having cats neutered, ask your local Rspca or cats protection, and around here in Cheshire it's around £65