First time cat owner!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
BarneyRubble14
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

First time cat owner!

Post by BarneyRubble14 »

Hello,

My name is Louise and I'm a first time cat owner! Haha sounds like I'm a member of AA :)

Blarney is a two year two month old ginger tom cat who has such a beautiful nature and temperament. He's from a Blue Cross Rehoming centre but was originally rescued from a ladies house who had 18 other cats!

It feels like me and my partner has struck gold with this little man, he is just so wonderful. Though I have realised that there is still so much to learn about him and owning a cat. I've barely had any sleep as he's been in and out our bedroom so came downstairs with him, he's asleep now and I'm on here (it's 6am) haha.

So I will be asking for lots of hints and tips from everyone! :)

It's just such a lovely feeling to give this beautiful cat a home!

Louise
Attachments
image.jpg
Barney!
(153.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: First time cat owner!

Post by hgale »

Hi Louise, welcome to CatChat and welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by a cat!

You have certainly come to the right place for advice, I have had cats since 1988 but I only joined here in 2011 when my late cat Kitten went blind. I have made some good friends on here too.

Please give Blarney a big fuss from me and Denver, he really is lovely!

Helen
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Hi, Louise and Welcome to CC and the very rewarding world of being a cat owner. (Or rather...being owned by a cat :lol: )

Yes...this is certainly the best place for advice on all things feline. And everyone is so friendly and eager to help.

Your little lad is a stunner. Give him a fuss from me. ;)

Best wishes

Grace.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Louise,
welcome to CC. What a lovely boy you have there. With those beautiful eyes and smiley face, he really is a stunner! :)
I joined only a few weeks ago, but already feel at home. I have had loads of good advice and lots of laughs. It's nice to be among folks who share your passion for kitties, and who are not afraid to advise and even set you straight about all things feline.
Fusses to Barney (is that right?)
Sue x
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Welcome. Barney is gorgeous. I'm sure he's going to really enjoy owning you. ;) :D
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi Louise.

Is it Blarney? That's a really unusual name. He is a gorgeous fella.

Dora decided to own me when she was just 12 weeks old in 2008. I too am a first time cat owner. I joined the site in 2011 and have gained invaluable insights into being owned by a cat. Dora is my world and I love her more than anything else in it!

I too have made some super, super friends and have to admit that when I get home from work I feed Dora, change, put my tea in & sit down to read through CC. It's my relax from the day & catch up with friends time.

I'm certain you too will become slightly addicted as many if us before you have!

Welcome! X
BarneyRubble14
New Cat Chatter

Post by BarneyRubble14 »

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your lovely replies! His name is indeed Barney and I'm enjoying every single second with him. He really has changed my life for the better.

Any advice with sleeping arrangements? Last night (his first night) he wanted to come up and sleep in our bed, anyway he couldn't settle and kept pawing (gently) at our faces. After some hours of jumping up and down off the bed I decided I was going to take him downstairs to the living room whee he did eventually settle down next to me. The only door we could close would be our bedroom door which I imagine he would start scratching.

Any advice? I've been soooo tired today... love him to bits though :)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

What a gorgeous boy!

I think you might find that he will settle down at night quite naturally. If you'd like him on your bed, then give him a few nights to get into a routine. If you don't want to start that, then he'll be fine in the lounge. I usually spend a bit of special time with my girl Pepsi before she settles for bed in the lounge. She could sleep on the bed if she liked, but she doesn't want to share it with our other furbabes, and as an older girl, she is comfortable with downstairs as her main territory.
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

When Dora first came home I put a bed down for her on the landing where she could see me during the night. However..... She was having none of it and managed to climb onto my bed. For about 6 weeks we had the pawing at the face, waking me up at 2am for play, waking me up at 4am for breakfast so on and so on.

I put it down to her being a baby and needing a routine so I didn't give in to her demands. I would simple say in a low but stern voice 'Dora its sleepies time' and roll over. Clearly she would jump on me, paw at my face etc but I stuck with it. It wasn't easy!!

Anyway, all of a sudden it seemed to register with her and we have slept together for the last 6 and a bit years. We have a bedtime routine. I get water for me, fresh water for her, about 10 biscuits for her (she's indoor so I don't free feed). We have a treat at the bottom of the stairs. I set the alarm, we walk up together. She has her biscuits while I clean my teeth etc, then she's waiting on the bed for me when I get in. I give her a glucosamine supplement as her bedtime treat, kiss her & tell her how much I love her. Then we both settle down and sleep through until about 15 minutes before the alarm goes off when she wakes me with a gentle paw on the face, a wet nosed kisses & a gorgeous chirrup to say 'morning mummy'!

During the summer she sleeps in her bed on my bed, or if really hot, beside her bed on my bed. During the winter she paws at the quilt until I lift it up, she burrows underneath & curls up against me like a furry hot water bottle. She purrs until she falls asleep and then I fall asleep listening to her snores. We stay curled up and huggling all night through!

I'm rambling as I'm always bound to do when I'm talking about Dora, but what I'm trying to say is decide on your routine, stick with it, be firm and decide on a way to tell him NO that he will learn to understand, and reap the benefits in a few days/weeks. It certainly worked for me.

Good luck and try not to yawn too much!!
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hello and welcome :D

Barney certainly is a handsome lad.

I had a ginger boy as a child/teenager who was my sole mate during those awful teenage years :D
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Simons Cats »

Just clicked the photo and am in love!!

Count me into Blarney's fanclub!
BarneyRubble14
New Cat Chatter

Post by BarneyRubble14 »

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Glad to report that the whole house had a good nights sleep! Happy humans and happy Barney. Just allowed him to do what he wanted and he spent some time out on the landing upstairs, then woke this morning and came downstairs - there he was snoozing on the sofa! Contented kitty!

Love this little guy!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Mollysmummy »

He's gorgeous! We got Molly a week ago. She's really nervous and was terrified of everything for the first few days, but now has found her favourite hang out spots, and has her favourite toy for afternoon/evening play times.

She won't let us stroke her, but she is getting braver and we rely hope she will leDn to love a fuss! She's very vocal at night and my husband gives in to her, he says he doesn't mind but we'll see after a few weeks of broken sleep!
zachandzoey
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by zachandzoey »

He is lovely!

I am a first time kitten owner myself - completely understand that feeling of happiness!

All the best