Worming/Flea plans at vet?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
FelisDomesticus
New Cat Chatter

Worming/Flea plans at vet?

Post by FelisDomesticus »

Can anyone share their experience of getting worming and flea treatments done through the vet?

I have two fairly new and young cats, perfectly healthy. One won't take tablets, the other runs a mile from spot-on applications, whereas they are both fine with vice versa.

I've always known that you can get worming and flea treatments through the vet but I don't know how it works. Do you bring your cat(s) into the vet and get them done on site a couple of times a year? Or do they just give you stuff to apply at home?

I am still getting used to doubling up vets bills etc but £90 per year per cat might be justifiable if it's more effective and convenient than using Johnsons/Bob Martin/Beophar etc
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Worming/Flea plans at vet?

Post by Mollycat »

Over the counter treatments are at best not very effective, but vet level treatments can be bought from places like Pet Drugs Online, some as they are and others need a prescription which your vet will normally charge for. The vet will normally supply a limited range but those products should be top notch.

There are plans that some vets do where you pay a fixed rate monthly and get all your parasite control, vaccinations and routine check included, and often a discount on some other treatments like dentals. I've never taken this because my cats have never been treated routinely, they have been done as needed. For example my indoor only cats were never wormed or flea treated until the dog came, and because the dog goes out I watch more carefully and tummy upsets warrant a wormer first before we look any further. But regular treatment would be a waste of money in our case. So do think what you actually want.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I have always got flea treatments from the vet, and usually wormers too. Your animals need to be registered, and usually to have at least an annual check up for each cat. You can then pick the medications up to administer at home, or if you choose an injectable take the cat in to have it done in the surgery. Like Mollycat I treat mine as needed, so don't pay for a plan that provides it every month.
FelisDomesticus
New Cat Chatter

fjm wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:33 pm I have always got flea treatments from the vet, and usually wormers too. Your animals need to be registered, and usually to have at least an annual check up for each cat. You can then pick the medications up to administer at home, or if you choose an injectable take the cat in to have it done in the surgery. Like Mollycat I treat mine as needed, so don't pay for a plan that provides it every month.
Yeah like with my old cat I get their vaccinations done at Vets4Pets (useful for weekend appts). I just have to weigh up taking them in vs just keeping on top of monthly doses at home.
I think on balance it's best to do the worming/flea treatments at home. Taking two cats into my vet during Covid times isn't great with restricted reception area.
FelisDomesticus
New Cat Chatter

Mollycat wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:17 pm vet level treatments can be bought from places like Pet Drugs Online
Thanks for the tip! :D