For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Moggy 1968
New Cat Chatter

Post by Moggy 1968 »

Hello all , I have rescued a little cat and she won’t let me pick her up . She has only started to come out from behind my sofa . She’s 7 year old British shorthair who’s owner sadly passed away. I need advice as I have a vet appointment tomorrow and I’m worried I won’t get her in the cat carrier. Any suggestions? Thanks
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New member

Post by Mollycat »

Hello and welcome!

Is it a really vital appointment? It's just that if she has only just felt comfortable enough to come out from hiding and she doesn't like to be picked up the experience of going to the vets is likely to put her back a step in her confidence. I always like to give a cat a good amount of time to settle before thinking about vets, unless they are ill and need to go.

As for getting a cat into a carrier that doesn't like being picked up, firstly it's a good idea if you can to make the carrier part of the furniture for a few days or even permanently if you can. You must be completely normal on the day, no nerves or change of routine. When the time comes, if the cat normally freaks and runs or tries to fight you then the safest way for everyone is a quick scoop up and dump in the box, or you can wrap her in a towel. If she just doesn't like being picked up generally but is ok when you do, then a cuddle before and gently scoop up and place in the box.

I used to miss about one in three appointments with Molly but now we have a reiki lady and we have a session with her every time and haven't missed an appointment since. Molly doesn't just hate being picked up, she can't be restrained at all at home, so I can't give her tablets and couldn't trim claws even if I wanted to.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Welcome to the forum, and congratulation on the new addition.

I have to agree with Mollycat, if the appointment could wait it would be better to do so. Unless it is something serious or time sensitive then a mistake tomorrow could mean you can't get her to the vets for months. If you can put it off spend some time getting her used to you fussing her on the back of the neck where you would scruff her, once she is happy to let you do that you stand a far better chance of getting her in a carrier.

As for getting a cat into a carrier when you can't pick them up, my advice and technique. Get a top opening carrier, the crate style ones are the ones I find best. If possible grab the cat by the scruff, this will partially paralyse it without hurting or harming it, then pick it up by the scruff but as soon as you can get a hand under the back legs to take the weight. Mother cats will pick kittens up just by holding the scruff which is why they don't struggle when you do it, but it isn't advisable to hold them just by the scruff when adult. Hopefully you will have picked them up right next to where the carrier is so you can just turn around and place them straight down in the carrier, keeping hold of the scruff until the carrier lid is down as far as possible, then withdraw your hand quickly and fasten the lid. It might help to have a large cloth or towel to hand to cover the carrier with as it can help a nervous cat not panic as much at being caged.

Finally, you have one chance to do it. If you fail, let her go and phone to cancel, don't try and chase her around in hope of getting hold of her, you will only wind her up even more and make her even more scared of you.

As you might guess from that i have a cat that can't be picked up as well. I dread having to get her to the vets and that technique is the best I have managed after a bit of trial and error, and quite a few scratches. The hardest bit i find is not being nervous before hand, far easier said than done, but if you are nervous a cat can very quickly pick up on it and go into hiding, and any chance of getting them to the vets is gone.

Good luck with her, i'm sure you will have many happy years together and hopefully she will accept being picked up in the not too distant future.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

It also helps if once you have scruffed them (whilst supporting the back end) you quickly turn them upside down so their back goes in first...no chance of last moment leg splaying to fight against being put in the carrier ...........you also get that extra precious second to close the top !!
Moggy 1968
New Cat Chatter

Post by Moggy 1968 »

Hello, thankyou all for your advice on getting my cat into her carrier, I failed miserably and had to cancel my appointment. I get really nervous when I’m about to pick her up as I know it upsets her , and she ovbiously senses this from me . I shall try to give her more time . Thanks again for all replies.