British shorthair and birmans

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
hellokittyxxx
New Cat Chatter

British shorthair and birmans

Post by hellokittyxxx »

Good evening everyone

I hope that you are all well!

I am new to this forum and I wanted some advice please. I have a British shorthair kitten who is 5 months old. I would like to get another kitten at some point this year. The breed I like the sound of is the Birman due to their sweet nature. I adore my British shorthair and I was aware on purchasing her that she would never be a lap cat which is fine and I like the BS due to their independent nature.

I understand the birmans are more inclined to sit with their owners which i would love. The question is, do British shorthairs and birmans get along or does it depend on the nature or the cats?

Thanks all!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: British shorthair and birmans

Post by Ruth B »

I'm no expert on any specific breeds, but I am convinced that a lot depends on the cat, and on nurture as opposed to nature.
The only pedigree I have ever had was a Ragdoll, and he came through a rescue charity my Mum helped at. When we got him I knew virtually nothing about Ragdolls, but someone my Husband worked with had a couple and when we heard this one was looking for a home, just as we were needing a new cat (our resident cat hated to be alone) it seemed a good match. We never treated him as anything special, and he learnt to go outside (something apparently a Ragdoll should never be allowed to do) and he loved it. Basically he learnt to be a cat, for all of what the books might say, all his cat instincts were there they just needed the opportunity to come out.
So no matter what books might say, i am sure that if you take the time to make the introductions properly you won't have any problems. if you start looking for problems you will find them, as the cats will both pick up on your anxiety, and it will make them believe the other cat is the cause of it.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: British shorthair and birmans

Post by Mollycat »

Breed means very little, some character traits are actively bred for in some breeds or they are known for something, but my supposedly docile Ragdoll was quite happy to bite me to let me know he wasn't happy. Cats don't know what breed they are, or what colour, they respond to patient and slow introductions to maximise their chances of becoming friends.