Would my cat benefit from a new kitten friend?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
annieatom
New Cat Chatter

Would my cat benefit from a new kitten friend?

Post by annieatom »

So I currently have a 6 year old rescue cat, we got her just over a year ago. She's an indoor cat, has been all her life. She is a shy cat when it comes to anything new, but she has sooo much energy and plays like a little kitten. We are starting to wonder, would she benefit from having a feline friend to play with and keep her company? I'm pretty sure she would hate having a new adult cat, but might like a kitten to play with and look after. At the same time we don't want to stress her out. It would also mean however that we would be bringing up a kitten to live indoors, which I know isn't ideal. Would appreciate any advice if anyone has gone through something similar!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Would my cat benefit from a new kitten friend?

Post by Ruth B »

Personally I'm not too sure. You say that you know she wouldn't want another adult cat, but might like a kitten, however if you get a kitten at 12 weeks, which is the normal age these days, and then go through the introduction properly you really will be introducing another young cat to her not a kitten. Also you have to consider that a kitten's personality hasn't evolved, you could adopted the sweetest little kitten only to have them grow into a little terror that wants to rule the roost and play rough, certainly not what she wants around the house. If you really think she would like company i would suggest approaching a charity and see what they have int he 1 to 2 year old range, you should be able to find one that likes both human and cat company and is laid back enough not to try and usurp her position as first cat, they will also be young enough to still be wanting to play. If you explain the situation to the rescue and make it clear that if it doesn't work out you will want to return the new cat, they will normally do everything they can to pair you up with the right cat, even if it means waiting a while to get one. Make sure you take the time to introduce them properly and everything should work out fine.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I'm with Ruth - introducing another cat is always a risky business, but in my now fairly long experience, I think a male of roughly her age, who has always lived indoors, and who was neutered at the usual 4-6 months, is most likely to be accepted by her.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

There are so many lovely cats out there waiting for homes, cats of any age, it's going to seem awful to say this.

Cats are not naturally group animals. The fact they adapt to sharing a home with other cats at all is down to many generations of self-selection as they most likely survived better around the grain stores if they tolerated each other's presence. Some cats are ok with other cats with careful introductions, some actively want company, and others just need to be only cats.

If it doesn't work out and the cat has to be given up, does it go back to a shelter again, or back to the breeder for re-rehoming, and what impact does that have on it?

I would talk to a good shelter or cat behaviourist and see if you can get a realistic evaluation and help matching your cat with another one, for the best chance of success.

Being full of energy and playfulness does not necessarily translate to another living breathing cat for company.
annieatom
New Cat Chatter

Post by annieatom »

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the advice!
Miss Tee
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Miss Tee »

Hi, I have just got a 10vweek old kitten, she's been home a couple of weeks, I got her as I have a 2 and a half year old cat who is very shy, she hides if anyone knocks on the door, if I let people in they don't realise I own a cat, she hides under the sofa, I brought her home to the UK from Majorca, found her and sibli gs at side of the pool, fell in love with her, and rehomed all the others in Majorca. She's so attached to me that she gets separation anxiety, she howls when I have to go out, which isn't often, and usually for less than an hour, she's an indoor cat. I thought for 18 months before getting a kitten, but it's the best thing I've done, she started by ignoring Miss Tee, then washing her, now they're wrestling and chasing each other, and I left them to go to to a hospital appt today, no howling from TeeTee, when I got back they were curled up together, and then play together so well, best thing I could have done for TeeTee was to get Miss Tee, I hope you figure out, or have figured out what to do, I wish I'd done it sooner, I now have 2 happy cats, though I did forget how much time a kitten takes up, good job I'm able to be home all day. Good luck