Lost Loki now home

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kithra
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Lost Loki now home

Post by Kithra »

Loki went through the cat flap early on Sunday morning and didn't return until 5:30 AM on Friday. I was going out of my mind with worry, and did all the things one does when searching for a missing cat. The most helpful was the local village notice board on Facebook.
I was overjoyed when he came home as I'd been lying awake at night worrying while he was away, thinking about the most terrible things that might have happened to him. He will be a year old in a couple of weeks, and his mother is a "wanderer" so perhaps he's inherited that tendency.
When he came in I thought he'd lost a little weight, and he was very hungry. So, having fed him as much as he wanted, and then given him lots of love - which he also wanted - he settled down to curl up and sleep. But whenever I left the room he'd wake up and meow and follow me wherever I went. He's still doing it today, around 36 hours since he came home.
He still goes out to do his business but comes back quickly. I think being lost may have frightened him.
When he came back I checked him over very thoroughly but could find nothing wrong with him. And the only change I've noticed is that his meow is now very much louder than it used to be.
So, if you have a missing cat please don't lose heart. They do come home.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Lost Loki now home

Post by alanc »

There is nothing quite so delightful as a prodigal cat returning home!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I remember when my Saturn went missing for a few days, it was devastating, and the sight of him crawling in the cat flap was such a relieve, even though the way he moved had me scared stiff, it was so unlike him. Fortunately all that was wrong was he was exhausted, he wasn't even hungry which was very unlike him, but a vet check proved nothing wrong, and after a few days he was back to normal. I am so glad Loki is back, I think the not knowing is the worst, but one of the things that kept me going was Saturn was chipped, I could hope that if he ended up at a vets I would hear, for good or bad.
Kithra
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kithra »

alanc
There is nothing quite so delightful as a prodigal cat returning home!
I found it more than delightful – it was a gift from heaven.

Ruth, you are so right about a missing cat being devastating. For me, too, it was the not knowing what had happened and if he was even still alive. I’m so glad that when your Saturn returned he was Ok and soon back to normal. Loki showed no signs to cause me any worry and was just yelling very loudly for food and love. I am still feeling the relief of having Loki come home and he still wants to be wherever I am. He’s even been getting on my lap again which is something he’s not done in a while. Like your Saturn Loki is also chipped, so I had to let all the relevant organizations know that he was missing. I’m just so grateful that he came back of his own accord.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

When I got my Misty back after his being lost for 9 weeks, I was so happy I was even polite to cold callers!
Misty was so hungry he seemed to do nothing other than eat for days. He didn't go out for a fortnight and only then because I carried him out. He shot straight back indoors and demanded dinner! I don't think he was ever out for more than an hour for the rest of his life.
Kithra
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kithra »

Hi alanc, Misty being missing for 9 weeks must have been unbearable. And I can understand your joy at getting him back.
Loki certainly ate a lot on the day he returned, I told him he had hollow legs, LOL. But after that he was back to his normal eating routine. And he’s going out again as he used to do, but is never out for too long so I don’t think he’s going far from home.
I’m sorry to hear that Misty is no longer with you and I think we miss them however long it is since they’ve been gone.