Book recommendations

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
JenniferE
New Cat Chatter

Book recommendations

Post by JenniferE »

Hi

I'll be getting a kitten in a few months and am new to cats , I'd really appreciate any book recommendations on Behaviour and training. I want to learn everything i can about cats :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Book recommendations

Post by Mollycat »

Stick around here, read past stuff and ask all the questions you want - better than any book.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new addition.

I'd suggest checking out Vicky Halls' books, she has some great advice on looking after a cat.

One thing to beware of, if you read too much about possible problems you will start seeing them when they aren't there.
JenniferE
New Cat Chatter

Post by JenniferE »

Thank you both.

I'm getting a British Shorthair (Blue)

I'll check out past posts on here and check out Vicky halls books.

Training wise I want to now how to teach the cat not to scratch the sofa ect or me.

Behaviour I'm hoping to learn what ears back or certain tail movements mean.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I think of the many cat books I have, Grace McHattie's "Supercat the non-pedigree cat care book" is the most useful. It is just as relevant to pedigree as non-pedigree mogs. Getting a bit old now (1989) so does not cover microchips, but otherwise the advice is still good.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

JenniferE wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:03 pm I'm getting a British Shorthair (Blue)

I'll check out past posts on here and check out Vicky halls books.

Training wise I want to now how to teach the cat not to scratch the sofa ect or me.

Behaviour I'm hoping to learn what ears back or certain tail movements mean.
Just out of interest, what has made you decide to get a cat? Have you had other animals, do you know people who have cats? What do you know about cats that made this the right animal to share your life with?

Training is a mutual learning process with cats. The old fashioned ideas of dominance, obedience and control have never worked with cats and finally the rest of the world is catching onto a progressive, cooperative, gentle style that always was the only way with a cat. Horse trainers like Parelli and Monty Roberts and dog trainers like Graeme Hall and Victoria Stilwell, with a strong internet presence, have a great deal to offer too. Many love Jackson Galaxy the self-appointed cat whisperer, and a lot of what he says is sound, but personally I'm not a big fan.

Training cannot be separated from body language, so your cat's response will be the feedback as to what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately it's also very contradictory! No book can describe to you the subtle differences between playful ears back and angry ears back, or a wagging tail ready to pounce and a lashing tail about to attack you, or why some cats sink their teeth into you while still purring, or the subtle shift from ecstatic cuddle to murder mode. Observe. Watch the body language when you feed and play with your kitten, when kitten washes, relaxes and sleeps, when there is a spider in the corner or the wind whips up a leaf. How does kitten respond to your voice calling, your daily routine and variations from your routine. These observations and interactions are what will teach you everything you need to know.

As for how to stop a cat scratching a sofa, make sure there are plenty of scratch posts because you can't say no you can only say please don't because I have a much better alternative for you - and you have to be prepared to move them or change them because where is just as important as what to a cat - and even then you have to be prepared to fail and lose the argument. But the better you build the relationship with your kitten, the more likely the grown up cat will be to listen to you.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

What Molly says is very true. If you want to teach your kitten not to scratch the sofa I would cover the furnishings with something unattractive to kitten claws - think slippery slidey, rather than textured and nubbly. Then have several really desirable scratching things nearby, both posts and flat surfaces. Once the cat has established the habit of scratching where you want her to, remove the coverings bit by bit, first from the seat, then the back, then those oh-so-tempting arms. It is much easier to prevent a bad habit before it starts than to change it once established. Expect the cat to claw a little, though - cats have scent glands on their paws, and digging the claws in and stretching their paws transfers scent to the surface, marking it as part of their territory. It is a deeply instinctive behaviour that you may reduce but are unlikely to eradicate.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

As the others say, you don't train a cat the way you would train a dog, it has to be more of a compromise and making sure they have a suitable alternative. One thing to remember is that while cats may seem small and delicate, they have incredible strength in their bodies, and when it comes to clawing things, they use that strength. One of the reasons cats like sofa and carpets to scratch is that they are very firm surfaces, they can put all their strength into clawing at it without if feeling like it will fall over on them. Many of the scratching posts available are at best light weight and a bit wobbly, many are also far too short for a full grown cat. When choosing a scratching post or mat make sure it will be secure, one of the best I have found was a board that was screwed to the wall top and bottom, no matter how hard the cats pull at it they will not pull it off the wall, it can also be set high enough up that a even a long cat can full stretch out on it, the top of it is slightly higher than the sides in the kitchen and one of my cats uses all of it. The other type that a lot of cats seem to like are the cardboard ones where they can sit on them and then they are pulling against their own weight and the downwards pressure of their own back paws. The other thing to be aware of is that different cats like different surfaces to claw at, some hate the common sisal wrapped poles, and much prefer the feel of carpet under their claws, cardboard may be a bit of a messy option long term, but does seem quite popular,so you might have to try several to find the one that your new cat likes. One other thing I have seen mentioned is using double sided tape to protect things. Put it on areas the cat is likely to try and scratch, the arms of the sofa, or the corners, then put a nice scratching post or board right by it, so while you are saying 'no you don't scratch this' you are also saying 'yes, here is something nice for you to scratch'

As for learning body language, videos are far better than books. As Mollycat mentioned Jackson Galaxy has become the known face of cat behaviourists due to having a popular TV program. I don't mind him, I do find his style and some of his attitude very American, but I accept that is his way, and a lot of what he says is good, and he does explain what he is seeing when he looks at a cat and describes what their body language means. There are plenty of his videos on Youtube which you can watch for free.