A new adopted cat 10 years old

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
xenaisl0st
New Cat Chatter

A new adopted cat 10 years old

Post by xenaisl0st »

Hello, I need advice. I have just adopted a 10 year old female cat that my neighbor had to get a new home for her. I have had her 1 and 1/2 days. When I got her home I talked to her and hugged her showed her food bowl(came with her) her water and kitty box. I put her in a room alone, because I have other cats and was going to introduce her slowly. She has hid will not come out. I sat 4 hours last night calling her and trying to get her to come out and eat. She has not eaten anything yet. Anyone have any suggestions. Thank you.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: A new adopted cat 10 years old

Post by Marla »

It's lovely you've adopted your neighbour's cat! :)

She needs time to adjust to her new surroundings and trust you. She also needs food, water, litter tray, etc, in her room.

I found these articles really helpful when we adopted our 3rd cat:
http://www.catchat.org/bonding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.catchat.org/hierarchies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

I wasn't completely awake when I posted. If she hasn't eaten anything in 1½ days, you need to put food, water and litter tray in her room urgently. That's way too long for a cat to go without food.

You'll want to keep her on the food she was used to at your neighbour's until fully settled.

I hope she's OK.

Please be sure to come back and update us.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Is everything she needs in the room with her? I wouldn't sit and try and entice her out, it can take older cats longer to adjust - don't forget she has been with your neighbour all these years, and now her whole world has been turned upside down. Just keep going in the room and sitting ignoring her - either read, or potter on the internet, just so she gets used to you.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

As has been said, she just needs some time to adjust and gain confidence in her new surroundings. She'll come out when she's ready.
xenaisl0st
New Cat Chatter

Post by xenaisl0st »

For all who helped me I read and did what was advised and:
She is out. I just sat down in basement and cleaned up stuff and she came up to me meowing. She let me pet her. Thank you for the advice. :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news. :D Well done you for giving this girl a new home. I hope she continues to settle in with you.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

That's really great! :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That's great news, I'm glad she's obviously starting to feel more at home. :)