Help make it a legal requirement for cats to be microchipped

Your support is needed! • Please be aware some issues may be upsetting.
Jane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Help make it a legal requirement for cats to be microchipped

Post by Jane » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:41 am

If cats were microchipped then their owners could be called and made aware that they have been brought in hungry/hurt or seen in the same place for weeks. Rescue centres are full of cats, bursting at the seams, because none of them are chipped and their owners don’t know anything of their whereabouts.
If we can do this for dogs, why can’t we do it for cats? Let’s fix this for our pets. Let’s make sure more cats have happy lives.

Please sign:

https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron- ... ochip-cats

microchip-cats-campaign.jpg
microchip-cats-campaign.jpg (57.02 KiB) Viewed 5011 times

jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Help make it a legal requirement for cats to be microchipped

Post by jillyvillyvoo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:58 am

I've signed this, something that really really needs to be done! Hopefully everyone on catchat will do his too x

OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:08 am

While I entirely agree that all owned cats should be microchipped, my view is that this should be achieved by persuasion and education. Anyone who cares about their cat will do this anyway. And if a cat does a runner from an owner who does not care, then probably going into a rescue is for the best.

Once it is made a legal requirement, there will be punishment for offenders and attempts to raise revenue from fines. Like a lot of bad law it would just inflate crime statistics and create more of a smoke screen over real criminality.

This could also have the perverse effect [unintended consequences are a feature of bad law] that people will be very wary about helping ferals by putting down food for example, in case they are done for owning an unchipped cat.

opalfruit
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by opalfruit » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:29 am

I read a big news story about a lady whose Bengal cat was stolen and sold to someone else, despite her having papers and it being microchipped. The cat was missing for four years before the microchip company, Petlog, contacted her to let her know the new 'owners' had requested a change of address. When she asked for the current 'owner's' details, it was refused. She only managed to get her cat back after a big campaign on social media, and she said Petlog weren't helpful at all. Apparently the microchip doesn't prove ownership, only keepership. So anyone can steal your pet and change the details. Also not all scanners at all vets read all microchips. Since reading about that and the risks of microchipping to the animal, I am a bit sceptical. I feel microchipping is not necessary and you can be a responsible owner without it. Say you haven't had them chipped and you take them to the vet - if they check for a microchip and there isn't one, does that mean they're not yours? I would say this isn't fair, because you love your cat and it loves you. You don't need a microchip to prove that.

Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:22 pm

From a rescue/welfare point of view and dealing with dogs as well as cats compulsory microchiping is not the answer with dogs it has caused a lot of issues with establishing current ownership and problems with transferring ownership and even fostering dogs out to people they re not registered to for cats there's a huge population with no owner not just ferals many cats roam freely and change homes then there's the issue of who scans a potential stray and who takes responsibility if it is found to be not chipped the issues are huge so microchip yes compulsory by law no point at all in my view