Dreamies TV commercial

Your support is needed! • Please be aware some issues may be upsetting.
Edwardcat lover
New Cat Chatter

Dreamies TV commercial

Post by Edwardcat lover » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello fellow cat lovers. You have no doubt seen the TV commercial for “Dreamies”. Whilst I am prepared to accept that the scene where the cat flies up to the balcony was created using cgi computer graphics, the shot at the beginning where the cat flies awkwardly across the screen, twisting and turning, I think was achieved by literally throwing the cat from “off camera”. I speak as a technician who worked in the business for over 30 years.
People  who are stupid enough or young enough to mistreat animals are the very people who are stupid enough and uncaring enough not to understand this is trickery and many such people could  regard it as a reality– after all isn’t that the purpose of the special effects !

I wrote to the manufacturers of “Dreamies” to ask them to, confirm that I was mistaken and no harm was done to the animal. I have not received a reply.
When you next see this commercial and if you agree with me I suggest you tell the company that you will not buy this product again. This is the only pressure we can bring to bear on them.
To contact them - The Managing Director is Mr Damian Guha at Mars Petcare UK Ltd. . Dundee Road Slough SL1 4LG

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Dreamies TV commercial

Post by Lilith » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Urrgh Edward, I don't do TV but that sounds like the disgusting stunt by the 'artist' - ha, FARTIST Salvador Dali in the '50s; I believe it was it to get 'action shots' for paintings of leaping tigers.

So I haven't seen the commercial, but good luck in your campaign and welcome to the forum.

My cats think Dreamies are s*hit anyway :D

ps I found it on youtube and agree - posted a negative comment; I'm ZK on there. Horrible! :evil:

Ha, message sent to Mars :twisted:

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by bobbys girl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:31 pm

I'm of the opinion that all advertising is, at best, mind-numbing drivel. But I would still buy dreamies because I don't want to have to explain to Purdy why I haven't bought her favourite treats!

I do agree though, there are some dimwits out there who will believe anything!

Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:16 am

I haven't see the advert and I have had a look on Youtube and can't seem to find it on there (just spend several minutes watching other Dreamies adverts though), hopefully they have had enough complaints that they have withdrawn it.

It makes me shudder to think that anyone might consider it to be alright to harm any animal purely to try and sell a product.

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi Ruth, it's this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HImdt96H4PE

Not very edifying ... :evil:

Edit - something puzzling. I found this by googling Dreamies, and when I watched again to recheck it came up as 'Dreamies Balcony.' And commented.

Just rechecked and it's come up as 'Temptations' but the same ad, and all the comments but one admiring one from two years ago ... :? have vanished. I recommented ... different username, Ziska, but it's me, unless they're wiping off all the negative comment.

:?

Is it me or is it them?

Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:25 am

Interestingly the link is from 2014 and the packet definitely says Temptations, not Dreamies. It sounds very American as well, so I'm guessing it isn't a UK advert, but it might have been redone for the UK more recently, it wouldn't take much to change the name on the packet digitally. To my knowledge, the UK is is a lot more stringent on adverts as well as what goes into pet food than the US.

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Lilith - it's definitely THEM! We always mute the ads (or go and make a cuppa) when you do that you notice more. I am constantly amazed at the small print - 'so many out of so many women prefer this mousturiser' - if you work out the percentages it's seldom a whole number. 73 and a half women? Lies, all lies!

You might have guessed, it makes me angry :roll: :oops:

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:47 am

:lol:

Perhaps she only moisturised one half of herself ... :lol:

Aaagh, advertisements ... they make me wax satirical ... :evil: :twisted:

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:19 pm

I complained to Mars and they sent me a stock reply about passing my complaint to the right department.

Then today I was asked to take part in a 'survey' about my 'experience', blah blah, you know the sort of thing, but the last question was about how could they improve?

So I replied:-

Stop advertising your cat treats in a way that may encourage ignorant people to think that a cat is a 'fun' pet that 'performs tricks' like these. Any sensible cat owner can see that the cat in the Temptations ad could never have behaved like that without being thrown. Trouble is, there are people out there not so sensible who might be sucked in by that gimmick and expect a cat to be a 'funny' pingpong ball without researching into a cat's real care and needs. Most cats' antics can be wacky enough in real life without any artificial 'help' - why not focus on filming these and also portraying responsible cat care ie NOT letting a cat get into dangerous situations such as flying above an unguarded balcony rail, to advertise your product?

Quite apart from the stress and distress caused to the cat used in the advert. This isn't acceptable.

Hope this helps, Edward :)

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Lilith - good on yer! :D