My Fluffyboy.

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Shakirawolf
New Cat Chatter

My Fluffyboy.

Post by Shakirawolf »

Hi:,My name is Eddie.i live in Toronto.with my 22 yr old Cat.Fluffyboy.he is 22 yrs old.Now it's getting harder too care for him.I have tried.but now he is peeing every where.but I can't make that call.i don't want him too Suffer.but I don't like being Alone.Please send me your Advice and a hug.i so need it.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My Fluffyboy.

Post by Mollycat »

Sending you a big hug and positive vibes. Sounds like this is a really scary situation for you, I think I'm hearing more than the sadness of a beloved companion's long and happy life drawing closer to an end.

You know your boy best, incontinence isn't automatically suffering for him. If it is though, giving him peace from that will be the kindest thing you can ever do. It hit me with my first time, we give them all we can and then one day the time comes when holding on is for ourselves not them, there is nothing left we could give them, not all the treats or medicine or cuddles in the world can reach them any more. And all we have left to give them is one final gift, the final gift of selfless love, to let them go in peace and free from pain.

He will always be with you, safe in your heart, and you have a forum community to support you through the difficult moments.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

It is so hard when we know the time to say goodbye is close, and we face the journey through grief. Only you will know when the day comes that living is a burden to him, but calling your vet to discuss how to manage things on that day, whether they are prepared to come to your home or how things are arranged at the surgery, may make it easier to face. Sometimes not knowing makes the fear worse.

Sending you and Fluffyboy gentle hugs - we are here to help and support you. We understand the pain and grief of losing a loved cat, especially after so many years of companionship.
Shakirawolf
New Cat Chatter

Post by Shakirawolf »

Hi:Thsnkyou do very muvh.iam stuck between a Rock.and a Hardplsce..I sm going too prsy on it tonight before bed.I would rather he go here.yhen see him taken away.Is this Wrong too feel like this.Thankyou all so much.Bless you All.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

There are no right or wrong ways - all you can do is to try to find what is best for you and for Fluffyboy. If he is in pain or distress and there is no hope of improvement then perhaps it is time to help him to slip away, gently and peacefully. Many vets will come to your home, but that might be more difficult to arrange during Covid. That is why I suggest talking to your vet, and asking what sort of help they can offer, including palliative care. But if he is not feeling discomfort, and is eating and drinking and enjoying being with you, then incontinence mats and washable throws may make it easier to cope, and to enjoy these twilight times together.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Of course it's not wrong to want to be with your companion in his last moments, at home, where you don't have to rush or make decisions you were not expecting, and then go home to face not being greeted by him for the first time.

I would speak to your vets. They may not be willing to make home visits as things are but they may be able to make an exception for you to go in with him. I know my vets are making this exception, with careful precautions of course.

And it's not wrong to feel so torn apart inside at a time like this, you wouldn't be human if it was easy making decisions like this. There is nothing wrong with the mad mix of emotions you're going through now. You are a very normal person facing the end of a wonderful relationship with a furry companion. No matter how many times we go through it, it never gets any easier.

For some, it can be ok to have a natural end, but as we have the ability (and responsibility) of putting a gentle end to suffering, we have lost our tolerance for the discomfort of the dying process. What I'm trying to say is, if your lad goes through some discomfort but you don't feel it's right for him to have the vet intervene, as long as he's not suffering, as long as you know you have the backup if things change suddenly, you don't have to go down that route. The option of a gentle controlled death is to alleviate suffering if needed.