Letting our dear Sophie go to sleep

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Christy
Returning Cat Chatter

Letting our dear Sophie go to sleep

Post by Christy »

Letting go of our beloved 18 year old Sophie. She’s been our baby all these years. I remember bringing her home and me telling my husband she will only sleep on the bed a few nights. We all know how that goes. The past 3 years, we’ve known she was living on borrowed time. She overcame some infections and kidney issues in 2018. We decided to fight for her to live and tackled her health issues head on. She was feisty, even with a cone due to a cheek abscess.

This time, it’s been 2 major infections in a month. First her paw. A shot of convenia resolved that very quickly. Now she has an eye infection that isn’t resolving. She stopped eating yesterday and doesn’t want to be bothered. She’s curled up in her cubby.

I tell myself it’s a kindness to let the vet assist her in letting go. She has been such a wonderful kitty in our lives. And she has been the ultimate little princess. She has helped us raise our other kitties…4 of them! We will let go of her with so much grief and pain. We have had to let 2 other beloved cats go over the years, and it is just as hard.

We had a wonderful male himmy years ago that become bonded to my husband. Oh how I loved that cat. His name was Tango. I waited too long to let him go and it was hard for the vet to let him go easily. I swore I would never do that again, but here I am. When do you know? Some people say, you just do. Did I wait too long? Do I try again with treatments?

Sweet Sophie has made her decision by withdrawing into her cubby. She was furious with me last night when i wanted to hold and rock her. She just wanted to be let down to curl up and sleep. She is tired and wants to go.

As I write, I am overcome with emotion. I know it’s time, but I cry. I stop crying for a little bit, then I cry again.

We’ll miss you my sweet lovely Sophie. You have been your daddy’s girl. You have been momma’s girl. You have influenced and taught Emma (rest in paradise,) Taz, Bella, and Charlie how to be a family kitty. You have lovingly groomed and swatted everyone. You have been a purr machine. You have demanded your rightful spot on whatever lap or surface you choose.You have given us love, joy and memories. We will always remember you with love. We will not hold up any other kitties to you, out of fairness to them. You are one of a kind.

Tomorrow will be tough. I can't say enough about her. There are so many memories.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Letting our dear Sophie go to sleep

Post by Mollycat »

So sorry to read your beautiful post, thank you for sharing this terrible sad time with us. Wishing you courage for today, and for Sophie a gentle passing after a long life of love and joy. Take good care of you and the rest of your loved ones in the weeks to come.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

A beautiful tribute to a lovely and much loved cat. I said goodbye to my 18 year old Pippin a few weeks ago - he too made it clear that he was ready to let go, and living had become too much of a struggle, but I know all too well how you still hope for a miracle. I hope your vet is as kind as mine was, and that Sophie falls asleep easily in your arms, just as Pippin did in mine. I will be thinking of you and your family today.
Christy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Christy »

We couldn't go through with it today. She came out of her cubby, snuggled, drank, and ate some tuna. I'm starting sub q fluids tomorrow and have another vet visit. Forgive me if we made the wrong decision, Sophie.
Christy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Christy »

Thank you for your lovely words. We delayed the inevitable by one day. Sophie went to sleep this afternoon at the vet's.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Sleep tight Sophie, hoping it was peaceful and gentle for you and the family you leave behind to grieve your loss.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am glad you had one last day of cuddles, and time to know you were making the right decision. Sleep well, Sophie, all pain and discomfort forgotten.
Christy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Christy »

Mollycat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:13 am So sorry to read your beautiful post, thank you for sharing this terrible sad time with us. Wishing you courage for today, and for Sophie a gentle passing after a long life of love and joy. Take good care of you and the rest of your loved ones in the weeks to come.
Thank you for your heartfelt words. It was a big comfort to me. We laid her to rest this evening. She had a good day. She enjoyed her tuna and some water this morning. It turns out she had a tumor on her third eyelid and the vet said it was most likely cancer. She seemed to enjoy the people and dog watching as we waited to be called in from our car. She purred as I held her. Wow, it's such a huge loss and I cry a lot.
Christy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Christy »

fjm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:35 am A beautiful tribute to a lovely and much loved cat. I said goodbye to my 18 year old Pippin a few weeks ago - he too made it clear that he was ready to let go, and living had become too much of a struggle, but I know all too well how you still hope for a miracle. I hope your vet is as kind as mine was, and that Sophie falls asleep easily in your arms, just as Pippin did in mine. I will be thinking of you and your family today.
Thank you. I am so sorry that you lost your dear Pippin just a few weeks ago. Thank you for your comforting words, even as your grief is fresh. You were right, I was hoping for a miracle and I tried to make it happen. I had a fluid kit overnighted and had all these plans to give her in-home ICU. I was hoping against hope. It wasn't the best experience at this vet, but I'm very critical at this time. I want to post pics of her, but can't see how to do that?
Bertie 2017
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Bertie 2017 »

Hi so sorry for your loss ,, I believe cats tell you when it’s time , still it doesn’t ease our .
Pain ,I like yourself have had many cats ,over the years ,each special in their own way ,
But like Sophie some ,stand out from the crowd , and are that ,extra special ,old young ,
The loss is just the same , Often people don’t understand your loss ,and try saying things,
Like it was their time ,and they are in a better place ,far from bringing comfort ,it
Makes you angry , cats are our furry family ,and too me our kids ,and losing a cat ,
Is Devastating , , but on this website ,you will find support from other cat lovers ,
Who have suffered a loss

My thoughts are with you
Christy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Christy »

Bertie, you brought anger into my grief. I was and am not angry. I am very sad about my loss but it's happy memories that I have.