Peaches

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Peaches

Post by Crewella »

I had hoped that her narrow escape a few months ago had taught her to be more wary of the road, but sadly not. She was hit by a car soon after I let her out this morning, and (thankfully) died instantly.

The first time I saw her I had gone in to the rescue to take pics of cats needing homes for their Cat Chat page, but because she was a feral I was just meant to be taking pics of her kittens. In spite of the hissing and swearing, she eventually made blinky eyes at me from the back of the pen and I was smitten. Daz needed a little friend to keep him occupied and give my oldies a break, and Peaches seemed too dinky and cute to go back to life as a feral, so she came home with me.

Daz and Peaches made a great team and clicked from day one - she was his playmate and partner in crime, and he helped to give her confidence and overcome her fear of people. Daz tends to follow me around the garden, and usually Peaches wouldn't be far behind him.

Although she was a feral, she was by nature a sunny, friendly, chatty little soul - as she started to settle in you only had to look at her and she'd start purring. She was the cutest, prettiest, most endearing little cat I've ever known. I'm heartbroken that her story should end like this, and guilt-stricken that we moved to a house near a road, however wonderful the garden is.

Night night little Peachey thing, we all miss you terribly ........ but especially Daz and I.
Attachments
Daz Peaches small.jpg
Daz Peaches small.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Peaches

Post by greenkitty »

Oh Helen, I shed a few tears when I read your other post, I have such a soft spot for Daz and his beautiful side kick. What a terrible, terrible thing to happen, it sounds like she didn't suffer thankfully. I'll miss hearing of their escapades, loved seeing what they'd been up to and have followed her story from the beginning.

RIP sweet Peaches, heaven has another furry angel. Hugs to you and a fuss for your special boy who must be missing his girl xx
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

So sorry to hear this. RIP Peaches. xxx
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Awww so sorry to hear this.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Helen, I am so sorry to hear the news. Poor you and poor Daz, you will both really miss her.

It is small comfort I know, but she didn't suffer. You gave her a new start and a happy life and you should remember that.

Perhaps my sweet Poppy will meet up with Peaches at RB and show her around. Goodnight and God Bless Peaches.

Hugs to you and Fusses to Daz
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

So, so sorry Helen, poor darling Peaches - I'm just looking at my own little ex-feral Jessie, who is a calico just like her, a sweet, gentle, darling little girl, and feeling your grief at losing your treasure. You will never know why Peaches was so drawn to the road, even after her brush with disaster - it was just the wrong place at the wrong time. Can't believe she's gone, dear baby.

We are all thinking of you and your lovely boy. x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I was really grateful that she obviously didn't suffer - we'd only just let her out and my OH did see a van stopped on the road about five minutes before we found her.

I've given all my lot extra cuddles, especially Daz. I can't tell you how much we'll miss her.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

She was so beautiful Helen. A very special little girl with plenty of spirit. The picture you posted is the one I was thinking of this morning when I heard the news on the other thread.

Give Daz lots of cuddles. You'll get comfort from him knowing that he and Peaches had a very lovely bond between them. As you hug him please tell him from me that everything is going to be alright.

She will live forever in your heart Xxx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Helen

I am so sorry to hear your news :(

Peaches was obviously a much loved girl.

Reading your storey brought tears to my eyes :(

The saving graces are that she had happy times with you, and her passage to RB was quick.

Take care of yourself and the rest of your gang

RIP Peaches

Val xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Words can not express how sorry and upset I feel for you . . I will pray for my beloved cc to meet you at the bridge peaches .. . Play happily there now . . Xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you - Daz has appreciated all the extra cuddles. xx

One thing I'm grateful for at the moment is the fact that, in the year that he's been with us and after a shaky start, Basil has settled in really well and gets on with Daz in particular. He doesn't hunt, but the two lads can often be found lurking in the kitchen or just stretched out in the sun together, so at least Daz isn't totally bereft of feline friendship.

We found a spot in the border for Peaches and today will buy a flowering shrub to mark the spot. When our oldies passed on, we always tried to bury them with something they loved. It was hard to work out what to do for Peaches as her loved thing was Daz, so in the end I printed out some pics of the two of them together and lay her on those, along with a clump of his fur (sorry Daz!) and a couple of pens from the office (she was forever stealing them).

Several people have said they remember when Peaches came to live with us, and I remember how grateful I was for all the help and support I got on Cat Chat at the time. I'd had ex-strays before, but Peaches was my first close encounter with a cat that had never enjoyed human contact and I really valued the advice I received and the opportunity to share the ups and downs along the way. I often used to read posts out to her, so it felt right to print off all your kind messages and put those in the grave with her as well. It helped to feel that I was sending her off with all your good wishes, and perhaps some 'references' should she ever need them at the bridge. Thank you. xx
Attachments
Peaches small.jpg
Peaches small.jpg (74.79 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Helen, what a lovely fitting way to send the lovely Peaches to RB.

I also bury mine in a favourite spot with their special things. I have never thought to put messages or photos with them but that is a lovely idea.

Hope you are all ok

Take care

Val xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

What a lovely idea and I'm sure Daz won't mind a little of his fur being donated to his girl. I haven't had to do this yet, I'm relatively new cat ownership (7 years) but I think I shall follow your example when the time comes and bury them with someone they loved. Perhaps a shrub with peachy coloured flowers would be a lovely tribute :)
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

oh Helen :(

RIP Peaches xxx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

What a very fitting tribute to a much loved and adored little girl. I'm sure that Daz will take comfort from knowing that a part of him is with his beloved Peaches. You're giving her such a wonderful send off and it's one that she deserves. She has touched our hearts. I'm relieved that Daz and Basil have become good friends. They might get even closer now. What a lovely picture that is of Peaches looking up and knowing she's being admired. You made a massive difference to her life. Try and focus on that and all that you did for her. If you had let her go back as a feral she would have led a miserable life never knowing what being loved feels like. Now she knows!!

We're all thinking of you Helen and sharing in your grief. More hugs to you and cuddles for Daz XX
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I am glad that Daz has a friend in Basil. I'm sure he misses his little girl, but maybe now he and Basil will become close.

What a lovely idea that is to bury her with something familiar that she loved. We buried Katie dog with one of her toys and Bonnie dog with her favourite blanket (she always loved her comfort).

The first photo is of 'Katie's Garden'. It had been a huge patch of rhubarb and we had just decided to do something else with it when our lovely girl died. It became her garden, she is buried in the circle of Box. The little stone is quite recent. It is a lovely place to sit and think of her. Funny thing is the cats are fond of sitting there too.
rsz_031.jpg
(247.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rsz_027.jpg
(223.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The mess in the background is another work in progress - it will be a Japanese(y) garden. Dave's much missed garage cat Sparky is buried there. He was another victim of the road. Dear old 'Sparkles' was too much of a wanderer to have settled in with the others. But he is with us forever now.

RIP Peaches, Sparky and Kate.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

How beautiful to bury the little girl with some of Daz's fur. So precious. Xx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Helen what a lovely area to remember your treasures - and a wonderful tribute to how special Peaches was. So sad that you lost her so young - but she was loving life until the last and the messages are a tribute to what a special little girl she was.

Love the stone - what a wonderful sentiment, and so true. I said the words to my precious Lara when she returned tonight after her 8 hour adventure today. We love them so much and want them all to live to a wonderful old age, but we also know that for some of them sitting in the garden is not enough. If we have the privilege to have free spirits we're thankful for every day we share with them. Peaches shared all her best days with you. Bless you, Peaches xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Helen, what a lovely idea laying Peaches (and your others) to rest with something they were fond of.

Not sure if you like roses, but what about this as a tribute? http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/engli ... showr=1160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or (I think even nicer) http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/ ... /gww9066TM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - to reflect her free spirit?

((((big hug)))) to you xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Bobby's girl, that's an absolutely beautiful spot - no wonder you, and the cats, like to spend time there. It's a wonderful tribute. :)

*Your reference to 'the mess in the backgound' made me smile ....... your 'mess' looks like our best bits!!* :P

I was thinking along similar lines, Ria - we finally chose a buddleia 'flower power' like this:

http://www.coblands.co.uk/plant/buddlej ... -w-bicolor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We needed something a bit rangy for the back of the border, and I liked the idea of a buddleia as they do so well in the wild and can often be seen on waste ground doing perfectly well on their own, as she did - dinky and kitten-like as she was, she had brought up at least one fine litter of kittens, probably several more as she was about 3 when we got her. I also loved the idea that this one starts off looking like a regular buddleia, and then reveals its glorious peachy bits. She came to us as a regular moggy and because she was feral and needed a chance - it was only over time that she blossomed and revealed what a little superstar she was. Another factor was that Peaches absolutely loved chasing butterflies.

This is the first thing we have planted in the border, as we wanted to watch the garden for a year to see what was there through the seasons before we started digging it up. It's a very mature garden that, once upon a time, had a lot of thought put into the layout but has been left to go wild. For that reason, I won't post a pic ...... all you can see at the moment is nettles!

Thanks again for all the good wishes and hugs, they are much appreciated and have been passed on and shared with the gang. xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Helen,
that's the perfect plant for her. I thought as soon as I read the word 'Buddleia' I though of Peaches chasing butterflies!

Make sure you give it plenty of room to spread - they always get much bigger than you think and nothing looks worse than the tangles I have seen. If it looks a bit bare you can always plant early-flowering bulbs or woodland flowers around the base. Then stand back and enjoy! :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen that will be absolutely lovely. You couldn't have gone for a more appropriate plant. The colours will be fabulous when they develop. You will get a lot of pleasure from watching all the butterflies that are attracted to it. Once you've got the garden sorted will you post a pic so we can all see Peaches plant? Doesn't matter how long it takes, many of us will want to be able to see your tribute to your most beautiful girl. Sending hugs to you all Xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

What a beautiful plant and just a perfect tribute for your girl. I've not seen that variety before, just the standard lilac colour or white.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

what a beautiful plant - same as Julia I hadn't seen that one before; it really is lovely.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks, it is a beautiful plant, for a beautiful girl.

Having heard the sad news about Kate's Maxine, I lit a candle for Peaches and for Maxine this evening. The household is getting back to normal, but there is very definitely a Peaches-shaped hole still and I wanted to mark the fact that we've not forgotten her. We all miss the little ray of sunshine that she was - even Grumpy Nellie liked Peaches.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... C00847.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Crewella on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I was thinking about lovely Peaches last night as well as Maxine.

She will never be forgotten. She will always be remembered with a smile. Thinking of you all Xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Sorry Helen, I haven't been on this forum for a while. I'm so sorry to hear about Peaches, you must be devastated. RIP little one.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you both. I keep looking at pics of her and just can't quite believe that she's really gone. xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hugs to you, Helen. Your little girl was very special. xx