Coping with loss of a cat

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Mishapuss21
New Cat Chatter

Coping with loss of a cat

Post by Mishapuss21 »

My mum had a lovely cat she was called misha.she was an exotic(part of the Persian family).flat face same as a persian.mostly cream coloured.unfortunately we had to take her to the vets.it turned out to be a large tumour and various other lumps.there was no alternative but to put Misha to sleep.she was 18 1/2 years old.i was with Misha and the vet when Misha slipped away.it was comforting to be with her.the vet and I both reassured her as she went.she made 4 noises like she was dreaming,then breathed for bit then she let out 4 long breath's the vet said not to worry she wasn't in pain it was misha,s diaphragm.the vet got her stethoscope.listened to Misha,s heart then said to me she,s gone.she said did I want to be with Misha for a bit.i said yes.the vet went out of the door.and I lost it,I couldn't hold in my tears anymore.i cryed 3 times.also saying out loud 3 times how much I loved her and would miss her.i said to her there's no more pain now.but also I said out loud it's not fair how she was taken from us.i called the vet back in,my step father collected Misha to bring her back home to be buried in our garden with a lovely temporary grave stone.i put my tribute to her on it.and a photo tribute on Facebook. Lying in her cat bed.i,m devastated,my life seems unbearable at the moment.i,m a 56 year old man.i,ll never get over our loss and her death.when I was on the reclining sofa Misha would jump up and snuggle up close to me for a short time and lie on my lap for a long time.they do say cats have a sense of their owners dying.but last week it was the opposite way around Misha spent a long time cuddled up close to me and only a short time on my lap.i,ll take comfort in the fact that maybe Misha had a sense she was dying and was just saying goodbye in her way to me.i,ll miss you my lovely girl,Misha.
Lilyff
New Cat Chatter

Re: Coping with loss of a cat

Post by Lilyff »

I recently had to give 2 kittens away, and I felt absolutely terrible, I keep crying every time I think about their cries when we had to take them back in a carrier and about how they'd snuggle up and watch us. We just couldn't take care of them though unfortunately and keeping them would have been irresponsible.

I am really sorry for your loss, I think it's definitely okay to cry as she was your companion and grief is okay. Try to find someone who would cope with you. Would definitely be helpful or you could try adopting someone else instead. That could help with grief for company.

Also I do feel like they know when they'd die, my older dog sort of new and we witnessed him take his last breath. It was so tough but with time we just had good memories of him. It would be okay 🧡