Pleural Effusion + Don't know what to do

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
mysharks22
New Cat Chatter

Pleural Effusion + Don't know what to do

Post by mysharks22 »

Hello,

My cat Downey, was recently sent to urgent care and was diagnosed with Pleural Effusion as we noticed he had trouble breathing recently. Doctors removed 280 mL of fluid from his left lung area. Meanwhile we are waiting for test results of what is causing the PE. Doctors have ruled out bacteria and the prognosis is either cancer or FIP neither which sound great to me.

He's only 6 years old and we adopted him from the human society when he was 4 and the sweetest cat ever. His personality is so sweet and gentle. My wife and I think he is a dog trapped in a cat's body. He would fetch straws and bring them back to us. He was so tolerant of our new infant son grabbing his tale, never retaliating. He purrs often when petted and loves to snuggle in bed with us........

I am so ridden with guilt by allowing him to go outdoors. Part of me thinks I brought this upon him by allowing him to go outside where getting a disease increases dramatically. Everytime I look at his food bowl which he is not eating as much anymore, I start crying realizing this could be the end.

Right now I am just flooded with anguish, guilt and pain that his life might be cut short. Part of me is hoping he gets FIP, and then I can find some drugs to try to treat him.....If he has cancer the best is to hope for 6 months to a year. I just don't know what to do as my heart aches so much. Why does it seem that God takes the good ones first?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Pleural Effusion + Don't know what to do

Post by Mollycat »

Neither of those diseases happens from going outside, this is not your fault.

I'm so sorry that you and Downey are going through this, I can only imagine your pain for him being so young - I found it hard enough to accept losing my boy aged 14, it just seems so unfair and brutal, and Downey is so young. But he is awaiting some test results, and he will get all the love and care in the world through whatever treatment options there are and if there are none then he will be showered with love for the rest of his life.

Age and time are our human curse. Cats don't have any concept of length of life, all they know is feeling well or feeling unwell. We do all we can to keep them feeling well and when we run out of options we have one thing left to give, the ultimate gift of selfless love, to let them go in peace and dignity. I do wish for you that there is more time, but not just any old time, good happy healthy time.

I think everyone here will totally get your worry but try to keep calm for Downey's benefit, he will sense if you are upset and be worried for you.