Chuck & Etta

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Minnelli
New Cat Chatter

Chuck & Etta

Post by Minnelli »

Our beautiful black little girl died of CKD about 3 weeks ago. She was very young (4 years old) and was diagnosed last year. Unfortunately she only had one kidney due to a damaged kidney at birth (which we found out about when she was diagnosed), but still insisted on living a very lively life and was a bit of a nuisance!

3 weeks ago she got very ill and there was no more we could do for her and we had to make the difficult decision. It was devastating as she was the centre of the household and very much queen bee.. vocal, affectionate (on her terms), clingy, and her brother often cleaned and protected her from other cats.

Now this is the problem we are having.. Chuck.
They were brother and sister, dumped in a bin and rescued and adopted together and always been together. When Etta was hospitalised last year he coped reasonably well, but the second time was a bit longer and she did get very affectionate and called for her.
I have been incredibly worried about him since his sister died. He has been eating fine and he is becoming more affectionate. He does look for her and is very local. He doesn't really play much (they used to chase and play with each other all the time) and he seems a bit lonely.

My husband and I have been discussing about getting Chuck a new friend. We want to do the best for him and whilst we are still grieving the loss of Etta we hate the thought of him being alone.
Can anyone give me advice on this? We were thinking a female kitten, someone he can be a big brother and look after. He doesn't have too much of a problem with neighborhood cats and the only times we have seen him aggressive was when we stayed at my in laws and he didn't like their cat getting near his sister.
Is there a good time to do it? I'm at a total loss of what to do and he is really worrying me.

Sorry for the long post
x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Chuck & Etta

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi 'Minnelli,
Welcome to CC. I am so sorry to hear your news and that Chuck is missing his sister. Chuck and Etta were very lucky to have found you. It is hard to know what to do for the best for your young man

I mentioned in another post about Lily, a young black cat who appeared on our doorstep one day, a few weeks before we found Bobby. I'll keep it short - when we found Bob he was in a bad way, but Lily took over. She took him as her own, even suckling him (hormones are amazing). They were very close and I thought they would be together for life. Then one day she vanished - no sign what so ever! Bob sat in the window and cried for days. He went looking for her - we nearly lost him.

He is over that now and quite a happy boy. I'm lucky that I am at home a lot and can be with him. But a couple of our cats, I know would be quite content to be only cats. They don't need feline company.

Perhaps Chuck would be the same? But if you think he would benefit from a kitty friend, try putting a post on the cat health and behaviour forum. Someone with more experience in kitty introductions should be able to help you.

I wish you all the best, please keep in touch. Hugs to you and fusses to Chuck.

Sue
Minnelli
New Cat Chatter

Re: Chuck & Etta

Post by Minnelli »

Hi Bobbys girl

Thank you for your kind words. We both feel very lucky having had them in our life, form someone who really wasn't a cat person, I'm totally smitten now!

Thank you for the advice I'll pop a post up on the other area now.

Wish I'd found this site when Etta was ill, think you guys would have been tremendously supportive

xx