Lilly

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Lynneandrea1
Returning Cat Chatter

Lilly

Post by Lynneandrea1 »

I lost my lovely cat Harvey January 13 2022. I was heartbroken, could barely eat and lost half a stone. He was such a loving affectionate cat and he’d been with me almost 15 years. I started browsing cat rescues and sent an enquiry. I went on to adopt Lilly a month after loosing Harvey. I didn’t know if I’d done the right thing so soon, but she helped me cope more than I could have imagined. She was two and had never been outside. When I did let her, she loved it. She was so joyous, climbed trees, chased flies, watched birds and chased around the garden. I only let her out when I was home and she stayed in the garden, until Monday 30/05/22 when she ventured further. My doorbell rang and a neighbour came to tell me she had been hit by a car. She was dead. I am devastated, although she had only been with me three and a half months, she had stolen my heart and I loved her dearly. She was so young with such a zest for life, which was cruelly cut short. I am, once again, totally heartbroken. I see her everywhere in the house and garden. I feel so guilty.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Lilly

Post by Ruth B »

I am so sorry for you, but it sounds like Lilly had a wonderful, if far too short, time with you.

Every time we let a cat out of the door, we take the risk that something will happen to them, but for me the joy they get being outside more than makes up for the heartbreak we go through when we do loose them. I have taken in 3 cats who had never been allowed out, and successfully introduced 2 of them to the garden and they loved it. One, Tiggy, we got when she was 2 years old and she lived until she was 19 able to come and go as she pleased, I know i've been lucky. Having lost her a few weeks ago we no have number 3 and in a couple of months i will have to go through the same with him, knowing the risks, but also knowing the benefit he will get from it.

Try and remember all the good times Lilly had, how she enjoyed being out in the garden and being with you. You may only have had her for a few months, but it sounds like they may have been the best months of her life and she died having known the joy the outside world can bring. You know her life was cut short, but as far as she was concerned she lived a lifetime, she didn't know she should have had many more years with you, she just made the most of what she had.

When you are ready, I'm sure you will once more be back at the rescues and will find another cat that needs the love you can give, whether it is another youngster who has never experienced the joy of outside or an old street cat with street smarts just depends on fate and who captures your heart. Then only you can decide if you are strong enough to face letting them roam free again with all the risks it entails, or whether you want them as an indoor only cat (with the risk of them escaping and having no idea of how to cope outside). the only other option is to look into cat proofing your garden (with the mention of trees that might be tricky) or building a catio so they can experience a bit of outside but from a safe space.
Lynneandrea1
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Lilly

Post by Lynneandrea1 »

Thank you so much for your kind words. The grief is unbearable at the moment and I am constantly in floods of tears, but I know it will get easier as it did when I lost Harvey, who was my world, but Lilly was so young and full of life, it seems so unfair. I have had cats for over 30 years with no problems, all of them went outside. I can’t imagine not having one.