How can they do this

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
tiddles
New Cat Chatter

How can they do this

Post by tiddles »

I have 2 cats both rescue and both domestic short hair, they are my princesses and are spoiled rotten. For years now I dreamed of owning a Ragdoll and for one reason or another it never happened. Over the last couple of months my circumstances changed so I decided that the time was right. I thought I was well prepared and contacted a couple advertising Ragdoll kittens, we spoke at great length and I went to their home with my husband and picked a little boy. On the way home I felt something wasn't right, the carrier was on my lap but the heat from it was actually uncomfortable. The kitten looked fine, clear eyes wasn't sniffing or sneezing but i knew something was wrong. I stayed up all night with him as he refused to move from the carrier and as soon as the vets opened on the Monday morning I took him. He had a temperature of 106 and was given antibiotics. Over the next few hours he deteriorated and was vomiting with severe diarrhea, I brought him back to the vets and he was given more antibiotics and fluids, the vet told me to take him back to the breeder and demand my money back as he was a very sick kitten and he didn't hold out much hope for him. I didn't think he was well enough for the 2 hour trip so I made him as comfortable as i could and stayed with him 24 hours a day trying to force fluid into him. On the Wednesday morning at 4 am he passed away. For the last few minutes he cried and whimpered as he fought for breath. It was horrendous and my heart broke. His cries for help are still haunting me, this happened 3 weeks ago. I can't understand how people can do this. When i went over his papers after his death, some of the documents that i was shown at the breeders house were missing. I understand now how stupid I have been but why do some people think they have a right to make money from animals suffering, when i think back at that day in their house there were at least 3 other cats that I realize were not just sleeping but were probably ill as well.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How can they do this

Post by hgale »

I'm so sorry to hear about your poor kitten.

Can your Vet back you up in reporting them to the RSPCA or your equivalent and the police? Those other cats need help to be rescued from this awful couple.

RIP little kitten, my Kitten and Mischa will look after you at Rainbow Bridge.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I am so sorry for your awful experience. How heartbreaking for you and your husband. Darling little boy, I am crying for him now. Helen has a good suggestion to report the breeders. What I would like to say about what they have done to these precious babies is unprintable. RIP sweet baby, and hugs to you. XXX
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear you've been through this, absolutely heartbreaking. I would try to report the breeders too.

RIP little one.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

How sad, I'm sorry for your loss.

There are some cruel people out there and it's just not right what they have done. I take it you have not had your,money back from the breeder, in which case doreport them. Also look up "Ragdoll cat club" and report them to them too, there will be a club in your area or country. The GCCF is another place to report her to and if you are on Facebook there are lots of anti puppy farm campaigns at the minute, this is very similar (unscrupulous back yard breeder selling sick animals) so post on them or get in touch with them too.

It won't bring your poor kitten back and you must be completely heartbroken but at least it might stop her breeding and selling more.

xxx
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

Oh this has made me cry. Poor, poor baby. And poor you having to witness his suffering. Report the people to the RSPCA. They should never be allowed to breed cats ever again. More exploitation of innocent animals for money.
Sleep well, little one. And hugs to you, Tiddles.
Hav
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hav »

Thank goodness he spent his final moments with someone who cared x
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Ditto. At least the poor little darling experienced your love and care in his last days. My heart aches for him and for you. People like these so-called breeders don't look at animals as fellow beings with a right to live free of pain and suffering. It's almost like they don't realise that all animals can FEEL, so an animal's suffering is meaningless to them. I truly think that what goes around comes around, and these poor excuses for human beings will one day be repaid for their cruelty. Goodnight little boy. Aunty Ruby will watch over you. :cry: :cry: