Should we get our cat a new friend?

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Should we get our cat a new friend?

Post by Mollysmummy »

We adopted a rescue cat 2 months ago from an animal sanctuary. She had always lived with other cats and so this would be the first time she had lived as a single cat.

She is inherently shy, but after a few weeks struck up a friendship with an enormous ginger tomcat from a few doors down. Tragically, about a week ago he was hit by a car outside our house and had to be put to sleep. Molly was in our window at the time and may have seen it happen.

Since then she has been very vocal, obsessed with going out (the tomcat was a mostly outdoor cat), and has taken to carrying her favourite toy around the house crying.

She is only 1 but has a very saggy belly, and I wonder if she had a litter before she was neutered. Maybe being taken away from her sanctuary buddies, living alone and losing her friend is taking its toll on her? She's still affectionate towards me but isn't a lap cat and I don't know how to help her.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Should we get our cat a new friend?

Post by Crewella »

My view is that if she's always lived with other cats then a carefully chosen companion cat might well help. You can't guarantee that individual cats will get on, but a good rescue would help you to find the right sort of cat. I'd go for a young adult, rather than a kitten, so that you have a better idea of his/her temperament before making your choice.

Good luck. :)
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Mollysmummy »

I forgot to mention that she has also started pulling out the fur on her back since the cat down the road died. I think we should get a cat younger than her so she still feels like the dominant cat in the house?
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I think you might get more replies if you post this in General Cat Chstting. X
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Dominance isn't necessarily age-related, so I'd look for a cat with the right temperament rather than focusing too much on their age. Good luck, and happy hunting! :)