Sleep tight Minnie

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Sleep tight Minnie

Post by Crewella »

Little Minnie was the last of our original cat clan of five (originally 6 but we lost Gandy many years ago) that we had for nigh on 20 years. She went to sleep this evening, and has gone to be with brother Gandy, sister Spook, mum Pushkin, uncle Rottie and grandma Giddy - all but Gandy lived to their late teens and passed in the last couple of years. All were much loved and are much missed, and Minnie's passing really does feel like the end of an era.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... C06546.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She was always a loner and the joker of the pack - the naughty one that used to hide by the bannisters and swipe your head as you came up the stairs, and she loved feet and would drag socks and slippers under the sofa in order to 'rub 'em all over'. In old age, as the rest of her family passed on, she went from being the 'little one' that came last in the pecking order to the venerable elder of the house, and it was lovely to see her come into her own. All my current cats, Grumpy Nellie, Merrick, Daz and Basil (and little Peaches RIP) knew to treat her with respect, and her heated bed and food bowl were absolutely hers and not to be interfered with.

I will never forget her laying down the law early last year, elderly and fragile as she already was, and a tiny, dinky little lady. She usually just wanted to be left alone and rarely hissed or swiped, but one evening when Daz and Merrick were still sorting out their differences and 'handbags at dawn', making a heck of a racket, she came flying out of her bed and crossed the room on her back legs, both front paws in the air, boxed both their ears and then retired back to bed. They were both quiet as mice for the rest of the evening.

She was always 'Daddy's girl' and I'm glad that we guessed that this would be the outcome of the vet visit, and he was able to say goodbye to her this morning before he left for work. He actually helped deliver her 19.5 years ago, and I know how much he will miss her. When Minnie first went out into our new garden this spring, they went on walks around the perimiter together, and I'll always be grateful that she did get to enjoy her new domain in her last year.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 014004.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... al2006.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Night night Minnie, you had a long and happy life and have earned a good sleep. xx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Sleep tight Minnie

Post by Janey »

So sorry for your loss ((Crewella))

What a fantastic age though, and I am sure that Minnie had a wonderful life with you, the pictures are beautiful.

God bless Minnie xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Helen, what a lovely description of your girl, what wonderful memories.

I really love the family photo of them all curled up together.

Her being the last of her clan, must be very hard for you. But they are all together again now - in the sunshine at RB. ((Hugs))
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Oh Helen I am so sorry.

Little Minnie loved you so much and you gave her one final gift. Sleep tight Minnie x.

RIP little one.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh Helen I'm so sad to hear this news but what a grand age to reach, she looked fab for a lady of advancing years.

Officer Noodle very much approves of the photo of your OH and Minnie out on perimeter patrol :)

RIP little Minnie puss, hugs to you xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thinking of you Helen!!

Thanks for telling us more about Minnie. What a wonderful character she was! I had to smile at her dashing across the room on her back legs to have a good whack at the boys.

She had a very happy life with you. I'm glad she enjoyed her new garden and had a chance to get out and about in the sunshine this summer.

I feel for you that she was the last of your original clan. The pics are fabulous. Lots of happy memories to look back on.

Sleep well little girl Xx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

What a fantastic tribute to Minnie - and very emotional in the very nicest way; what a wonderful old lady who had lived such a happy and full life. The thought of your 6 cat family and all those years... it makes me feel very humble as I've only had any cats since 2012 and now in 2014 have reached 5 - all comparatively young - and am wondering now how they will fare as they get older. They are all so unique and precious and you've had more than your fair share of loving and losing. Good night, sweet but sassy Minnie - you ran a good race and will never be forgotten. xx
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

Crewella I am so sorry to read of the passing of Little Minnie. Even more so that you had taken the time to respond to my post, knowing that you yourself were approaching this sad time. Blessings to you all. RIP Minnie.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Dear Helen and darling Minnie.... What a wonderful tribute to your precious old lady. As hard as it is for you and your OH, the dear girl must have been so happy to be reunited with her lovely family. She went to the Bridge with nothing but good memories of a wonderful life with you and all her friends. Like Jackie, I feel humbled that you and your OH have spent so many years dedicated to your furry family. You are one amazing kitty mum, Helen, and we all admire you tremendously. Hugs to you and love to everyone of your precious babies - those already installed in the family home and those yet to make their mark.

Sarah, Pepsi, Lou Lou and Edgar xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you all. We buried her at the back of the border near Peaches and I shall look for a suitable flowering shrub to mark the spot. It was hard to work out what to bury her with - an old sock, because she loved feet, and pics of the rest of her clan that she's now reunited with ...... but what she really loved in her later years was her heated bed, and I didn't feel it would be right to bury all of that. In the end I compromised and laid her on the little pad from inside her igloo bed, and it's only today that I could face actually switching the heat pad off and unplugging it.

The house does feel horribly empty - especially now that Teasel the foster cat went off to her new home yesterday. Officially I now only have three cats, Grumpy Nellie, Merrick and Daz, as well as Basil the permanent foster, and I'm grateful that I have foster cats Baxter and Magic the kitten to keep me occupied.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Dear Helen,

It's been a hard time for you just recently hasn't it? Thinking of you right now and sending love and ((HUGS)).

Sue xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Sue, it does seem to have been one thing after another recently, but I'm trying to focus on the good things. At least Basil is better, I am really happy for Teasel in her lovely new home (much as I miss her), and I know that Minnie was happy and knew she was loved for the whole of her 19.5 years. xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hugs to you from us, Helen. Your little family will grow again. Is Basil still technically with the rescue? Can't he be made over to you, or is it simpler for him to be a permanent foster?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Sarah. xx

Basil has potentially ongoing issues with his dodgy leg, badly broken in what we think was a road accident. The rescue and the vet decided to try and save the leg, but it's at a strange angle and does give him some arthritis pains sometimes. He seems fine at the moment and is pretty active on it, but there is a possibility that he might need further treatment or even have to lose the leg if it starts causing him bigger problems. Having gone through all Daz's urinary troubles last year, Alpha (RIP) losing her eyes to glaucoma and then having cancer the year before that, and Minnie being elderly and on some scarily expensive meds, I was skint and a bit nervous about taking on another cat with a pre-existing medical condition.

I'm very lucky that the rescue I volunteer for is an independent rescue that will often take on older and injured cats that the bigger rescues won't and, given the fact that he's also 10, they are happy to sponsor him as a permanent foster and cover any vet bills. He's not going anywhere, and to all intents and purposes he's one of the gang, but he is still, technically, a foster cat. :)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Gosh, Helen, that's good arrangement for Basil, for you and for the rescue. I've noticed that Cats in Crisis and Goldies, both of whom we support also offer to cover vet's bills for cats with on going issues. If it moves them on to a proper home then everyone wins and hopefully your lovely boy won't face too many problems with his leg. Fusses to everyone from me and my gang. xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It is a good arrangement, Basil and I are very grateful! :)

Nellie and Merrick came from there, as did Peaches, Alpha and Bosko (RIP) before them, all officially adopted. I was becoming such a regular 'customer' I thought I might as well volunteer!

I don't know Cats in Crisis, but I know Goldies Oldies and the rescue I volunteer for, Marjorie Nash Cat Rescue, are also without a main cattery and have a handful of volunteers with pens in their gardens.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I have a similar arrangement with Tig, I adopted him with Epilepsy and the rescue pay for his ongoing care related to the epilepsy (he doesn't need any treatment at the moment) and it's called A Tender Care Agreement, if anything should happen to me they take him back so he's like a permanent foster I suppose.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

That's a good arrangement too, Julia. I'm seeing our solicitor on Monday to discuss making provision for our gang in the absence of us both. We have no family or friends locally I would be prepared to look after them, and I can't impose three more furbabes on my CC friends far and wide! So we're going to look into an arrangement with Battersea where you leave them a legacy in return for life long care or suitable rehoming. Poor babies - awful to think of them going back to rescue but I can't think of a better option at the moment.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That does sound a similar scheme, Julia. Lucky old Tigs and Basil that they found themselves at a rescue that gives such support! :)

That's such a good idea, Sarah. It's only since that I've been more involved in rescue and fostering that I've really thought about such things, and I will set up something like that. As you say, it's not a pleasant thought but at least someone will have responsibility for them if the worst should happen.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

Sorry for your loss, Crewella. What lovely memories of Minnie, and such gorgeous photos.
((Hugs)) Sleep well beautiful. xx