My gorgeous mungie got killed by a dog and i cant function

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
annisha68
New Cat Chatter

My gorgeous mungie got killed by a dog and i cant function

Post by annisha68 »

In January 1999 the next doors neighbours cat came into our backyard and never left. Me and my Dad called her Mungie. I loved Mungie with all my heart and always dreaded the day she would die. Recently she has become quite skinny and we took her to the vet and we were told she had a clean bill of health. She was losing weight because she was now 15 and its natural for some cats. Anyway yesterday she went outside to the back yard to lay in the sun as she always does. I went and had a soak in the bath tub. Next minute I know my Dad says those dam dogs are in the back yard again. I asked where Mungie was. The next thing I know my Dad yells out she is dead. I couldn't believe it. I kept yelling out no , no no no no no, you are wrong. He said she is dead. I jumped out of that bath tub and didn't bother drying myself and put my clothes on. I ran out the back and there she was. Dead with her fur all wet and matted. I picked her up and held her in my arms and howled so loudly. I looked at the dog and screamed at him. Then ran into the lounge room with her in my arms crying and kissing the top of her head.I couldn't believe it. I couldn't let her go but my partner on the phone told me to take her to the vets. I did. The vet looked her over and told me the dog had got her. I was furious. The people next door told us the dogs wouldn't get into our back yard again and we trusted them and now my Mungie is dead. She went before her time. She was very fit and healthy for her age. Bright in the eyes, hearing perfect and eye sight perfect. But the irresponsibility of the people next door caused her death. I

I FEEL So empty inside, so angry and greif stricken all at once. I have never grieved over an animal before. I see her everywhere in the house. I hear her. I cant remove her dinner plate or kitty litter yet. I just miss her so bad. She was with me throught some traumatic times and I for her. Last year her back legs went on her. I got her to a vet and they put her on steroids. She walked again. I got her off the steroids late last year and she continued to walk. She was a tough little girl, a real little survivor but she couldn't survive the dog that killed her.

If she had died of old age that would have been heart breaking but I could have dealt with it more. But the way she died. I cant process it and I feel like dying to.

Thank you for letting me post. I just feel so alone and sad without my Mungie.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My gorgeous mungie got killed by a dog and i cant functi

Post by Janey »

Hi, I am so sorry for your loss and know just how you feel. I also lost my elderly girl to a dog April last year, we don't know whether the dog managed to get in one of the small holes from the allotments behind us (which the ferals use) or whether our puss went through and the dog got her there (we think that's what happened). We found her the next day just behind our fence. I was a total wreck so I can so understand what you're going through right now. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone, I felt a bit better when I was able to talk to someone else who went through similar. I cried so much but it did get easier with time and it will for you too. Take care, and do post on here, there are lots of lovely people who will understand and care. Hugs to you and god bless to Mungie xx
annisha68
New Cat Chatter

Post by annisha68 »

Thank you so much for your response. Its such a horrible feeling isn't it? I keep thinking why didn't I protect her. How could I have not heard the dog attacking her?? But Dad was playing the drums and you cant hear much when he's playing on the drums. I did hear dogs whimpering but I thought it was coming from next door. I didn't realise they were in the back yard whilst in bath.

I just feel empty and like death. And then next minute im crying my eyes out, and then the next minute im so angry. Its like a rollercoaster. I just miss her laying next to me in the lounge room. I just feel guilt. I cant help it. I was her protector but I know my guilt is irrational. The only guilt here is next door.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am so sorry for your tragic loss. What a horrible shock.

Please don't blame yourself. It was not your fault.

RIP Mungie and (Hugs) to you. x
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

annisha68 wrote:Thank you so much for your response. Its such a horrible feeling isn't it? I keep thinking why didn't I protect her. How could I have not heard the dog attacking her??
I just feel empty and like death. And then next minute im crying my eyes out, and then the next minute im so angry. Its like a rollercoaster. I just miss her laying next to me in the lounge room. I just feel guilt. I cant help it. I was her protector but I know my guilt is irrational. The only guilt here is next door.
It is a terrible feeling, everything you're saying I said too, we didn't actually know what had happened to our old girl until the following week when I actually witnessed the same happen with one of the ferals we also love and looked after. As bad as it was, at least I then knew what had happened and that it would have been quick. I know it's easier said than done but be easier on yourself, things will feel better for you in time xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh no, what an awful thing to happen, I'm so very sorry. (((hugs)))

I lost my old girl of 19.5 years yesterday and that's hard enough, but at least she went in my arms and at the right time for her. As you say, heartbreaking but easier to process. Please don't blame yourself - it's impossible to watch over them every minute of the day, and by the sound of it at least it was quick and you got to her quickly, she wasn't out suffering somewhere on her own. It's just a horrible, horrible accident.

It will get easier to bear with time, though you won't ever forget her.

RIP little Mungie, you were much loved. xx