Goodbye Jim, My Trusting Soulmate

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Willowmoor
New Cat Chatter

Goodbye Jim, My Trusting Soulmate

Post by Willowmoor »

Eleven years ago my beloved seventeen year old cat passed away. It was sad but the end of his natural life. Just a few months before we had introduced a kitten called Bob to the house which my older cat loved. After we lost the older cat we collected Jim from Cats Protection. He was very nervous, shy and withdrawn and no-one else wanted him.

Jim was a challenge and refused to have anything to do with us for two weeks. He did however like Bob the kitten and they became in-separable. Over the next few weeks Jim grew to trust and love us and eventually became the greatest feline companion I could hope for. He was with me through several years of illness and he trusted me completely. He was oh so scared of everything but if I reassured him he settled and relaxed. He spent most of each evening by my side, constantly touching me if I stopped stroking him. Every now and again he would just climb up me for more of a cuddle. He was one of those cats who stared into your soul and behind the shy exterior he had a very strong personality.

Four weeks ago tonight the doorbell rang and we learnt that he had been knocked down and killed. Like everyone on here we were devastated. I spent the first two weeks in disbelief. Jim was scared of being out in the daylight, I guess in case he could be seen, so we let him out for an hour each evening. He never went far (or so we thought) and we stupidly thought he didn't go near the quiet country lane a couple of gardens behind us. I feel bad now that I allowed him out that evening but he did love his time out in the evening and I don't think I could have taken this joy from him. He came back so perky after his little trip out, it was a joy to see as he was so nervous in the daylight spending his time hiding in a bush next door or in the house.

I am feeling better now. Still upset but at least I can write this down. I adored Jim and miss him so much. We still have one cat who joined Jim after his best friend Bob was also killed within a few yards of where Jim died, in broad daylight. We also lost another one in daylight on the same patch of road twelve years ago - we put this down to bad luck as she had no road sense but now we have lost three, all within yards of each other. I cannot handle this anymore and so we have decided to go down the puppy route. I love cats and if I ever live in a more cat friendly place I may consider one again as the love and companionship they offer is so amazing.

I miss Jim very much, he was so amazing. I am for ever grateful that he trusted me so much and became such a wonderful companion. Goodbye Jim and thanks for everything x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Goodbye Jim, My Trusting Soulmate

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear of your loss. RIP Jim, hope you meet up with your friend Bob at the Bridge.

You did well with your boy, rescuing him when nobody else would take him. There are plenty of kitties out there who are looking for someone like you. Is there any way you could cat proof your garden?

The lane we live on is a quiet country lane. But the bit past us is straight and cars whizz past at such a rate that nothing would stand a chance. Mum used to walk it. But as she has hearing problems, she can't hear the beggers hurtling towards her. if they won't slow for an elderly lady, a cat has no chance.

Problem is there is a very attractive (to kitties) farmyard opposite. Willow is the only cat who won't cross the road (a scare as a kitten put her off). Thomas is streetwise, but getting an old man, Purdy has vision in only one eye and Bob has 3 legs. I live in fear of what might happen and am only happy in the evening. (Right now Tom's on the back of the sofa, Willow's made a nest in my dressing gown, Bob's sitting next to me, snoring and Purdy and Grace are in shoe boxes in front of the fire.)

As much as I fear that road - and neighbours have lost their cats to it, I could not imagine a life without cats.
chikakat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by chikakat »

Play hard Jim at Rainbow Bridge & hugs to you Willowmoor.
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

Thinking of you Willowmoor , your heart must be broken into a million pieces .
Life is very very cruel sometimes. You gave Jim a lovely life and he could not have asked for better.
He's running about free at Rainbow bridge keeping an eye on you. :)
RIP Jim , you're missed so much xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry, it's an awful shock to lose them that way. I lost one of my little girls to the road in the summer, and it still hurts to think about it. (((hugs)))

Please don't be too hard on yourself, though. Cats do love to roam, and he wouldn't have been so happy with you if you'd not allowed him out. It's a chance that many of us just have to take.

Rest in peace much loved Jim. xx
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by AhmedUK »

Thanks for sharing - Jim was lucky to have someone who loved him so much, and you were lucky to have had Jim who opened up to you and brought you joy.

RIP.
Willowmoor
New Cat Chatter

Post by Willowmoor »

Thank you all so much for your lovely replies. I am still missing Jim terribly and when I think about what happened feel so sad. I am generally feeling better though and not so overwhelmed by my loss. My other cat seems to have come out of herself a bit together with being much more affectionate. Perhaps with no competition from Jim she doesn't feel elbowed out - he did get quite jealous at times. We have very recently acquired a beautiful puppy who is lovely, cat friendly and generally adorable. Both my cat and puppy are helping me through this as is my wonderful husband who has been so, so supportive.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by AhmedUK »

I am glad you are receiving great support, as that is often the difference between being able to cope or not cope with a loss.