Saying goodbye to our lovely Sooty cat of 20 years

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Michelle08
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Saying goodbye to our lovely Sooty cat of 20 years

Post by Michelle08 »

At bedtime on the 26th February I noticed something wasn't quite right with my old Sooty cat. She didn't want to sleep in her usual place..the next morning though she ate a little food but was acting a little strange. By the afternoon she was wandering round & round..I picked her up she must have been exhausted her heart was racing...I held her & she settled in my arms, I placed her on the settee with my jumper wrapped round her for comfort while we waited for the vets to open. My daughter came home to look after her while I collected my younger son from school...it was then she had a seizure. I got her to the vet where he said she'd had a stroke leaving her with brain damage, also she had organ failure..I knew this was the end. I asked for him to give her something to ease any pain so we could take her home. He gave her a steroid injection but as we waited in the waiting room to pay she suffered another seizure infront of my youngest son. I took her back in the room & the vet agreed to do the kindest thing 27/02/15 at 5pm..I was there alone heavily pregnant & sobbing it was the worst day of my life.. I had dreaded this for so long...we all had. She was a year older than my daughter nearly 20 years old..I'd had her all my adult life. I called her my faithful old girl always instinctively knew when I or my children were upset. How would I tell my young son she'd gone..the world seemed different but I had to somehow keep it together for my unborn childs sake. I eventually admitted to my son she'd gone...hardest thing ever to see your child so upset & you can't fix it. I feel guilty that I didn't show her more affection recently & took her presence for granted. If only I'd known she'd be gone so quickly I would have treasured a few more moments..It breaks my heart every night I go to bed she's not here & the mornings start a new day without her.

Sooty my lovely little old cat I wish I could feel you climb onto my lap again I would let you sit there all day & not push you away..I took you for granted not knowing your day was coming so soon..you seemed well. There's so many people who remember you but there are four people who love you the most who are missing you so so very much...I hope you make your way back to us in our lifetime. We can never forget you ever xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Saying goodbye to our lovely Sooty cat of 20 years

Post by bobbys girl »

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is always a such a wrench when they leave us. 20 years is a brave age and she sounds as if she had a wonderful life with you.

You should find comfort in the fact that she went quite quickly and that she would not have known much of what was happening. I had a similar experience, many years ago, with one of our dogs. I came home to find him wandering around in circles, bumping into things. We got him to the vets, where they said it was a stroke, that he MAY survive with treatment and medication. But my old lad hated strangers (he was a rescue dog with a number of problems). He obviously didn't know where he was as he would have tried to bite the vet. I decided to let him go and not distress him any more. It was sad - I'd had grown up with him. but I know I did the best for him. As I think you did for Sooty.

Many of us here feel we will see our fur babies again and that Sooty will be waiting for you at the Bridge. You will see her again, until then she will live in your heart. The sadness will fade and you will remember all the good times. RIP Sooty.x

Best wishes with the new addition to your family. I hope all goes well for you.

Sue x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry for your loss - they do leave a huge hole in your life when you've had them for so long. That's a fine age for a cat - I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that she had such a long and happy life with you.

Rest in peace much loved Sooty. xx
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Topcat10 »

R I P Dear Sooty.
Just read the beautiful words you wrote.

"I hope you make your way back to us in our lifetime"

Never forget.......(Ask and you'll be given!)

Purrs in furrs TCs Dad. X..
Michelle08
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Michelle08 »

bobbys girl wrote:Sorry to hear of your loss. It is always a such a wrench when they leave us. 20 years is a brave age and she sounds as if she had a wonderful life with you.

You should find comfort in the fact that she went quite quickly and that she would not have known much of what was happening. I had a similar experience, many years ago, with one of our dogs. I came home to find him wandering around in circles, bumping into things. We got him to the vets, where they said it was a stroke, that he MAY survive with treatment and medication. But my old lad hated strangers (he was a rescue dog with a number of problems). He obviously didn't know where he was as he would have tried to bite the vet. I decided to let him go and not distress him any more. It was sad - I'd had grown up with him. but I know I did the best for him. As I think you did for Sooty.

Many of us here feel we will see our fur babies again and that Sooty will be waiting for you at the Bridge. You will see her again, until then she will live in your heart. The sadness will fade and you will remember all the good times. RIP Sooty.x

Best wishes with the new addition to your family. I hope all goes well for you.

Sue x
Michelle08
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Michelle08 »

Thankyou for the replies...I really didn't expect that she would be gone in the blink of an eye even at her ripe old age but very glad it was quick for her sake...I just feel I have been preoccupied with this pregnancy rather than appreciating my dear old cats affection. She just wouldn't leave me alone the past few weeks & I will admit her claws in my legs/belly sometimes got too much to endure & I would remove her to the side of me, she had to dig her claws in as her balance wasn't so good..If I'd have known I would have let her climb all over me & not been so impatient..that thought makes me very sad. I hope she forgives me...

Its a real great comfort to know that there are people like yourselves here for support who've obviously felt/feel the same ..I don't feel quite so alone in my grief today..it's been very difficult supporting my children through this at the same time not feeling like I'm handling my own grief too well.

We are collecting Sooty's ashes tomorrow so I expect it will hit them/me all over again...I have to find the strength again to keep it all together for everyone...my eldest son is coming with me as he was at work at the time of her passing...she was his childhood cat & now although a grown man with his own home he feels as devastated as his younger siblings...thankyou for taking the time to read x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Of course she'd forgive you - you loved her for many, many years.

I'm sure you'll be fine collecting her ashes and bringing her home. I lost my elderly cat, Minnie, after 19 years last summer, and also lost a younger cat to the road a couple of months earlier. We bought and planted two flowering shrubs to remember them by, and I get great comfort from seeing them prosper and grow. Perhaps you could do something similar for Sooty, in remembrance, and maybe a little ceremony as you plant it? It certainly helped me, and it might be good to get the children involved in doing something to say goodbye?