My Spider

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
paulscat
Returning Cat Chatter

My Spider

Post by paulscat »

This is my first post here and I hope you don't mind me telling you about my cat Spider who sadly died yesterday.
I thought that nobody else would feel like I did when she passed but take some comfort in knowing that I am not going completely mad and some people do understand.
Spider was my mums cat who became mine when she sadly passed away in 2003 along with two other cats, Socks and Sooty.
They were all a great comfort to me after losing my mum and seemed to keep me sane in a strange sort of way. Always waiting for me when I got home from work and greeting me with such enthusiasm and wanting nothing more than feeding and loving.
I lost Sooty and then Socks to illness but Spider remained a constant affectionate companion. Never ill and always there. Following me everywhere and totally aware of my every move.
She liked nothing more than to have her belly tickled and would let you do it all night without complaint except when we stopped.
Recently she started to get a couple of what seemed to be minor ailments. Water infections and bad teeth leading to an abscess on her face.
These were treated but along with this she started to lose weight. After various blood tests this turned out to be an over active thyroid gland.
This I was told is common in cats and as she was 18, I was assured that the condition could be managed.
She had no problem with the tablet that I had to give her at the same time every night cunningly disguised in a treat! She actually used to look forward to taking it and was very vocal in making it clear that she wanted more.
The tablets worked as far as controlling her condition for a short time but her weight loss continued.
She nearly always slept on my bed but on this occasion had barely managed to climb the stairs.
First thing the following morning I took her to the vets and was told that she was extremely dehydrated and would certainly need IV fluids to hydrate her.
She was in the vets for two nights and improved dramatically and I was given the ok for her to come home.
The vet had done more blood tests and it was discovered that her kidneys were not working too well and that her diet would need to be changed which was not a problem. She was also slightly anaemic.
The second day home she had took a dramatic dip and could not get out of her pet carrier which she had decided to sleep in.
We took her to the vets and the vet told us that her kidneys were failing and there was really nothing she could do.
I was absolutely devastated but could not allow the vet to put her to sleep. While there was a breath in her body and her eyes were bright then there was hope that she would pull through.
The vet gave her pain relief and we took her home.
We took her in the back garden and laid her on her favourite blanket and she slowly slipped away from me while I held her paw the whole time and told her how much joy she had given me and looked after me. I watched the brightness of her eyes fade and then she was gone.
The feeling of such loss I can't even begin to describe and the house just seems empty without her here. I feel totally lost.
She was loved more than any cat could be and I always said that I would never get another cat after Spider. Of course I will get another cat, not as a replacement as no cat could ever replace my best friend but hopefully I can have another best friend. If the next one can give me even a fraction of the joy and love that Spider gave me then I will be a happy man.
I feel privileged to have had such a wonderful, loving cat in my life and I will miss her always
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: My Spider

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry for your loss. 18 is a fine old age, but it doesn't hurt any less to lose them at that age, nor help to fill the cat-shaped hole they leave behind in your life.

I hope you can take some comfort in the knowledge that you did your very best for her, and that many of us here know and understand what you're going through. (((hugs)))

Rest in peace Spider, a good friend.
paulscat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by paulscat »

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that I found this forum and I will post a picture of her as soon as I figure out how to do it.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Paul

I am sorry to hear that you have lost your beloved Spider. It sounds like she has been a wonderful comfort to you since your mum passed away.

It is totally normal to feel deep grief after loosing anyone or anything we love - cats included. She was a great age. You did really well with her. Take reassurance that she had a wonderful life with you after you both lost your mum, and your worlds were turned upside down. Also take reassurance that she crossed the Rainbow Bridge at home, where she felt happy and safe.

It is natural to feel grief, particularly when she was a link to your mum.

She is now happy, young and back with your mum over Rainbow Bridge.

RIP Spider xx
paulscat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by paulscat »

Thank you so much and I absolutely believe that she is back to her old self and one day.....
Attachments
153_opt (1).png
153_opt (1).png (220.08 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Paul,

I am so sorry to hear about Spider. What a sweet, gentle face.

18 is a great age, but it doesn't make it any easier, especially with the link she had to your mum. As you say 'one day.....'

RIP sweet girl. Play happily at the Bridge 'til we meet again.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh bless her, that is a lovely little face. xx
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

No words can comfort when you lose someone you love Paul, but I hope that you can take solace in the fact that Spider obviously loved you and lived a good long healthy life by your side. Hopefully now she is looking after your mum and playing with Sooty and Socks, wondering what all the fuss is about.

Here's hoping that the sadness you feel currently will ebb in time and you'll just have lovely memories of her.
paulscat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by paulscat »

Crewella, Walesgang, Bobbys Girl and Mrs Kane, thank you so much for your kindness. Writing my post and your kind words have really helped me at this sad time.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Paul, what a beautiful little girl. She had a wonderful life with you and she will always be in your heart. I have an 18 year old girl and I dread the day when I will have to face this too, but I hope that the love we share will help me through, as it will help you.

Hugs to you, and kisses to Spider at the Rainbow Bridge.