Had to say goodbye to my cat Thomas

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Tomsmummy
New Cat Chatter

Had to say goodbye to my cat Thomas

Post by Tomsmummy »

Had to have my cat Thomas pts on Thursday. He was 16 and half yrs old and had a over active thyroid which we were treating with medication, he had bad teeth and gingivitis which we were giving antibiotics for a week Friday I took him for teeth check and a fortnight before that he was plodding more than his normal walking, the vet thought maybe arthritis. So this check up a week Friday ago his legs were wobblier so anti inflammatory was given and I took him back Monday as the vet see how he went over the weekend he was still wobbly on his legs so vet gave a different anti inflammatory and a oral one for us administer at home the vet we saw on Friday and Monday wasn't our normal vet. By Wednesday Thomas was getting worse on his back legs so hubby and I decided it was best to let him go so we had one more night with him and I rang the vets first thing Thursday morning we had a appointment for the end of surgery. Because of his thyroid problem he had been a house cat as I needed to give his medicate him, so his last morning we took him in the garden and let him wander around and he seemed to enjoy it.
Every one at the vets were great we saw the normal vet that treated him, she took a look him and said he wouldn't get better and we were making the best decision, she explained what was going to happen we both stayed with him when he was sedated and I held him and stroked him until it was time for the second injection. This point hubby left the room but I stayed it was very quick.
We buried him at home and have a stone cat near his grave. I miss his furry face and meow he gave me in the morning and him curling on my lap at night. Sleep well my furry friend and run free with your friends poppy and sheeba dog.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Had to say goodbye to my cat Thomas

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm mum to a Tommy as well and your post has had me in tears. Our Tommy came to us as an adult stray, so we don't know how old he is. But we reckon he is in his teens. He has CKD and earlier in the year we thought we were going to lose him. He is doing OK now but we know that day will come.

I just hope I can be as brave as you, God bless you! You did the best for your boy and, as you say, he is now running free with his friends (and ours) at the Bridge. It is nice that you have a place to remember him, so he is always close.

((Hugs)) to you.

Sue
Tomsmummy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Tomsmummy »

Thanks sue. Each day gets easier, night time I'm finding the worst and Thomas jumping on my lap happened most nights. Luckily I've got Millie dog to shower with love but she's 10yrs old. I've been though losing 2 dogs 7 yrs ago 3 months apart. I feel sad as I don't have anything of toms he didn't have a bed as he preferred the chairs or our bed, he didn't wear a collar and all my photos other than recent ones are on my laptop that I need a new power cable for.
My 11 yr old son has taken it well he's sad but realised tom wasn't himself and he said he didn't like to see him not walking right. Up till proberbly a month or 6 weeks ago he was still running around and jumping.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It will get better in time. But right now I think you need a new power cable!

I have one of my lost little ones, Poppy, on my screensaver. She has her paw raised like she's waving.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear about Tommy, he sounds a lovely boy and you obviously gave him a lovely life and loved him very much. I hope you can take some comfort from that, and that you did the right thing for him when he needed you to. (((hugss)))

RIP lovely Tommy. xx
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

Sorry to hear about Tommy=(