too many losses

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
8lives
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 17

too many losses

Post by 8lives »

We're a small rescue, rehoming on average about one cat per week. We homecheck carefully and avoid busy roads. However in the last 3 months we've heard of 5 of our ex residents being killed on the road. Had two notifications of deaths in the last few days. All of them youngsters between 6 and 18 months. I'm heartbroken and thinking of giving up rescue. Wondering what the point is ........
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: too many losses

Post by Crewella »

Oh that's awful, I'm so sorry - no wonder you're feeling so disheartened. (((hugs)))

BUT ...... it's just rotten luck. These were all cats in loving homes, not scrawny hungry strays or confused abandonees, and that's because of you and people like you. Awful as it is to hear of so many lost to the road in such a short space of time, there are a lot more who are curling up to sleep tonight with a full belly and in a loving home. Please don't be so hard on yourself, you can't protect them all for ever. (((hugs)))
HeatherCrazyCat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: too many losses

Post by HeatherCrazyCat »

I am so sorry to hear about this, 8lives :-(
But Crewella is right; you are saving so many kitties from certain death, and miserable lives where they are ill or malnourished, you should be proud of yourself and take comfort in the number you do help.

I hope that the next sets of news you hear about your former residents are all positive stories, and that helps to give you the encouragement to carry on. You're doing a great job!