Greebo (aka Fred) ... wherever the spirits of loving cats go

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Greebo (aka Fred) ... wherever the spirits of loving cats go

Post by Crewella »

As with Pugwash, whose place in our household he held so briefly, I felt I should mark Greebo's passing here.

He had to have been one of the most forgiving cats I've ever known. He was so very depressed when he came to me after being caught (by people who threatened to poison him if we didn't come and get him). His teeth were all smashed up and he had verious lumps and bumps which we suspect came from being kicked - he'd been the local stinky tom cat 'pest' for some time. It took him about two weeks to realise that I meant him no harm, and from that day he accepted me utterly and became one of the most loving cats I've ever known, always up for a cuddle (he used to hide his head in the crook of my arm) and always pleased to see me. The cats in the outside pen are always pleased to see me come round the corner as it usually means dinner, but he made it quite clear that it was me (or OH) that he wanted, and a fuss, dinner could wait.

He tried so hard to be good when he finally moved into the house with us, he quickly learned that my affection had to be shared with the resident mogs and he was well on the way to becoming a proper full member of the household when he passed. I miss his happy little face, he was thrilled to be in a proper home, you could see it in the way he followed us about and wanted to see what we were up to all the time, and he was at his happiest sitting with me on the office chair while I worked or on my lap on the sofa.
P1060575.JPG
P1060575.JPG (93.2 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
He must have known love before, and he was big-hearted enough to forgive the massive betrayal and how let down he had been and to put his trust in someone again. Sadly that big heart just gave out on him, but I'm grateful that he passed peacefully, in his sleep, warm, well fed and with the expectation of his tea and an evening with us by the fire.

Please forgive me if you feel it's a bit much showing a pic of a dead cat, but he looks so very peaceful - the only difference from how I found him is that his 'scruffy mutt' fur is unusually sleek from where we've been stroking him.
Greebo RIP.jpg
Greebo RIP.jpg (93.28 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
ADDED: I meant to say that we buried him in the garden, with other family cats, and with his blanket as he really loved having his own bed. We also buried him with a key, to symbolise that he died as a cat with a home of his own, at last.

Rest in peace Greebo, eminently lovable and loved to the last. xx
Last edited by Crewella on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mainecoon
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Greebo (aka Fred) ... wherever the spirits of loving cat

Post by Mainecoon »

So sorry of your loss . He was obviously so much loved & wanted for nothing in the short time you had him. He looks so sleek & peaceful at the end . RIP Greebo .. Thinking of you at this time xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

What a lovely tribute to a dear, sweet boy. Goodnight, God bless Greebo. Sleep well, Prince among cats. Xx
BarryK001
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by BarryK001 »

Lovely cat.
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Beautiful x
CIHALL
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by CIHALL »

Hi there

It’s taken me a few days to get around to writing on this post about Greebo. I’ve felt both happiness and sadness in reading this more than once.

So sorry to hear your sad news. Your tribute is a really nice one. It’s great that he found you and such a loving home, and I love hearing how he came to feel safe and so accepting. All cats deserve such a loving home, and should not be exposed to cruelty.

What is with cats and “helping” us why we work at home? Giggsy loved watching me type, he’d even have a go sometimes, but it looked more Russian than English :)

Greebo seemed a great character, a beautiful cat who was as lucky to have you as you were to have him.

Amazing gesture with the key, a great final act to a cat well loved and deserving of such a symbol.

Sleep well Greebo, I hope our Giggsy is playing nicely with you up there.

Take care

Chris x
Thierry 1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Thierry 1 »

Hi, I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your beautiful Greebo. I have read your post several times as I found what you did for him so very moving and beautiful. Greebo could sense that what you were doing for him was because he had finally found the love and security that he so deserved. I think what you did with the key for him was wonderful and I feel honoured that you chose to share a picture of him after his soul had crossed the rainbow bridge, what a beautiful picture. I also took a photo of Tush Tush wrapped in my dressing gown after he passed. I find comfort in looking at it when I'm feeling sad.
I for one am convinced their little souls live on and give us a nudge every now and then when needed.
Take care, Dawn x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Dear old Greebo, you were loved and cared for at the end in a way which I hope made up for all the hardships of your life. I know this last happy phase of your life was shorter than you deserved, but I'm so happy that you had it at all, and that you died feeling loved and safe. RIP laddie. xx

So sorry for your loss Helen, but you did a wonderful thing for him. xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

What a darling boy, and what a wonderful mummy you have been to him. Look at his beautiful fur, sleek with love.

Big hugs Helen. You are amazing. x
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

Beautiful tribute Crewella. It moved me to tears. I'm happy to hear he had such a good home. I'm sure his last moments were of spending time with you.

Rest in peace little fella. I hope you enjoy what lies at Rainbow Bridge.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Thank you everybody, it really helps to share with people who understand. xx
Joe Ousalice
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Joe Ousalice »

Greebo - Thank you for all the love you gave and all the good years you had together
God Bless in Cat Heaven