Oscar is very unwell

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Joe Ousalice
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Oscar is very unwell

Post by Joe Ousalice »

Hello everyone, not sure how this works as this is the first time I've written. Although my cat Oscar has not yet passed away, I am nevertheless very concerned as I have had him since a kitten and he is now almost 17, a good age for a cat I hear some say, and I have had a wonderful time with him. It may seem self centred of me but I am a lone male and Oscar has been my soul mate. I recently had a heart operation and was sent home the next day. Still being unwell, I went to bed for 3 days to recover. Oscar lay beside me all the time, only to go to the toilet and eat food occasionally.
I noticed a few weeks ago that he was urinating on the landing carpet a few times, I thought it was due to another cat which I had seen, entering the house during the night. Oscar also started meowing a lot and some were more like loud whaling sounds, then he started being sick each night on the carpet. I took him to the vet, who took a blood sample, the outcome was that he had Throid Gland problems. I was given tablets but he wouldnt take, so was then given some liquid which I had to rub inside his ears, this was ok. However, last Saturday night, he was seriously ill with sick all over the place, including the duvet. I took him back to the vet, who again took blood sample. This was traumatic for Oscar (and me to see) as they kept trying to get needles in his neck and legs, to get blood. Oscar was really distressed over it, and hasnt been the same for 3 days now. The vet says there is another problem with his kidney, and should he not recover before Saturday, we will have to make a decision !!! Oscar is eating and drinking a little now and is going to the toilet. Yesterday he was lifeless, rolled up on the bed and just looking into thin air or to the duvet. I hugged and cuddled him all day and "made my peace with him" - Today, he seems a bit more lively, greeting me as I brought his prawns up this morning. He even walked on my lap and started "paddling" and is sitting up a bit now. Each time I look around, he is staring at me. I dont know whether he is thanking me for holding in for him to get him better, or thanking me for considering taking him back to the vet (to say goodbye). I want to hold on to him and dont want to lose him, but at the same time, I dont want him to be in any discomfort or in pain. The vet says he isnt in pain, but is unwell. Ive got the hardest decision to make in my life, and am in tears. Can anyone advise?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Oscar is very unwell

Post by Kay »

this is a sad and difficult time for you, as most of us on here know only too well - but it can also be a precious time later, when you look back and remember all the love and care for each other you and Oscar shared

once the thyroid medication kicks in there may be a big improvement - from my own experience I know some vets overprescribe at first, and that can make cats sick - also high thyroid levels can disguise poor kidney function, so when they come down new problems are revealed, which sounds possible here, and of course too high an initial dose of the thyroid meds don't help

I would recommend you try a smaller dose for a bit and see if that helps - I presume the ear gel is Felimazole, and that drug comes in very small tablets, which can be further cut (they tell you not to cut them but as long as you handle the pieces with tweezers it's fine) - I used to hid the bits in Webbox sticks and got many many doses into my Trigger without any difficulty

as for that oh so difficult question of when it is time to let go, you will most likely know - their eyes tell you when they have had enough, and you will probably find the final goodbye is actually less upsetting than the period you are going through now
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I completely agree with Kay, who gives good advice. Both the thyroid and kidney conditions can be managed (my old Giddy lived on well into her 20th year after being diagnosed with failing kidneys at 17) and kidney issues in particular can make them fell very ill until you get things under control. As your vet says, if Oscar continues to improve then all well and good, the worry is if he doesn't start eating and recovering. Giddy went through a couple of crises in her last years before it became clear that she wasn't going to pick up and we had reached the end of the road. And it did become clear. You obviously love your cat very much and know him well, be guided by your vet and trust yourself to know when he has had enough, no longer has that quality of life and is not likely to recover. I wish him well.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm sorry to hear about Oscar and I know what you are going through. Kay and Helen are right in what they say.

When my old lad Thomas was first diagnosed with CKD we thought we were going to lose him. He was so thin and so 'down' and our vet had difficulty finding a vein too. But with meds and a slight change in diet, he has really picked up. He is still a little on the thin side, but he is almost back to his old self and enjoying life.

I hope this proves the case with Oscar. Don't give up hope yet. Let us know how you go on.

Sue