Feel so sad and gulity

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
runnerbean56
New Cat Chatter

Feel so sad and gulity

Post by runnerbean56 »

We had to take the sad decision to put our beautiful girl to sleep last night and I feel so guilty. She got poorly over Christmas and we were told she had CKD. We were given medication for her and took her home but couldn't get her to eat anything. we took her back to the vets this week and she was put on an IV drip for 3 days as the blood test showed her levels had doubled in a week. Initially her blood tests improved but yesterday there was no change at all and the vet said she had a really hard time with the drip. We brought her home and a couple of hours later she had a seizure and I really thought she had gone but she came back round although I could tell she was no longer really with us she seemed to say goodbye to me and my husband before curling up in a ball. We took her to the emergency vets who confirmed there was nothing more which could be done. I feel so guilty that her last week was spent in the vets and not at home with us and feel like it was the decision to have her put on the IV which led to the seizure. We just wanted to give her the best possible chance and instead seem to have made her last few days miserable.
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Feel so sad and gulity

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am so sorry to hear about your little puss. I really feel for you.

I have recently been through the same thing with my darling boy Tommy. He was diagnosed with CKD last February. We managed to stabilise him for a while, but over Christmas he went down quickly. We had all but decided to take him to the vets on the Monday, but fate stepped in and he died on Sunday 27th. Like you with your little girl, I think Tommy was saying goodbye when he meowed at me. He really wanted to go out and I thought a few minutes wouldn't hurt. After half an hour I went to look for him and found him in the road, just outside the gate. He seldom went out there and my OH thinks he was going off to die when he was hit by a car. It was quick for him and avoided the vets (he HATED the vets) but it broke our hearts. In some ways I still can't believe he is gone and I do, like you, feel so guilty about letting him out.

We all go through that 'what if' stage. But it changes nothing. It sounds like you did the very best for your girl right to the end. Feel the grief but not the guilt - easy to say, I know.

RIP little one, (Hugs) to you both.

Sue
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

if you hadn't tried the iv treatment for your girl you would be beating yourself up for not doing everything you could to keep her with you - hindsight is a wonderful thing, and life is full of 'if onlys' - so I echo the thought that sadness yes, of course, but guilt is just an inevitable part of loss, and a part to push away as soon as you can

you loved her, and cared for her,and tried to save her - none of us can do more, and you are suffering now instead of her, but that is the price you pay for all the loving years
runnerbean56
New Cat Chatter

Post by runnerbean56 »

She was only 10 years old and I took her in about 5 years ago. She was a Birmin and an ex breeding cat that was no longer wanted after she had kittens. We gave her the best life we could and I am trying to think of her when she was happy and heathy and not about those final hours. I also have another cat who is 8 and has been with me since he was a kitten. He is just lying on the bed looking really fed up. He's never been on his own so I have to keep strong for him and spend as much time as I can with him. They were not really close companions but I still think he's missing Winnie.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello my mum's cat, Tim Tam, was a Birman- beautiful cats. I won't ad to what Kay & Sue have said only to say my thoughts are with you - the feelings are intense but rest assured if you need support you'll get it here. Also you're other cat will know what exactly you're going through & is probably grieving in his own way too. Hugs Vivian