Lost my 17 year old Daisy

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Abbamad22
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Lost my 17 year old Daisy

Post by Abbamad22 »

My poor 17 year old Daisy had renal failure, She went off her food, she had a huge abscess on her mouth on Monday 2nd January, so we took her to the vet. Her weight had gone down again and she was in a lot of pain. The vet at first wanted to squeeze the pus out from her mouth and give her antibiotics for two weeks, but couldn't guarantee that she would improve. Had to make a heartbreaking decision to put her to sleep. So heartbroken and feel so guilty for the decision to put her to sleep.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Lost my 17 year old Daisy

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Abbamad22 so sorry to read that Daisy was pts. The feelings you're experiencing are very normal & will be there for some time. Take comfort you gave her a loving home where she was a very special fur babe. You didn't let her suffer. Post whatever & whenever as you'll get heaps of support. Take care & be gentle with yourself. Vivian
Last edited by Mayday21 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am so sorry to hear about Daisy. I know it tears you apart to think of her suffering and to make that decision. But please try to take comfort that you did the best for HER.

I wish there was something I could say to take away the pain. Many of us know just what you are going through. ((Hugs)) to you. RIP sweet Daisy, play happily at the Bridge, until we meet again.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I am so sorry to read about Daisy but have to agree you did the right thing, kidney failure and weight loss are fairly indicative that her time had come. I do wonder if vets offer treatment sometimes as much for our benefit to give us time to come to terms with the inevitable as much as in hope it will help the pet. It was far better to accept that her time had come rather than subject her to any more days in pain.

Try and take heart in that she was 17 years old and I am certain she had had a good life with you, and you did the best thing for her, and the hardest thing for you, when you decided to give her a good end as well.
catly254
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by catly254 »

I am so sorry for your loss, do not feel guilty. You felt Daisy's suffering and did what you had to do.