Lost my beloved tuxedo cat

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Ali J
Returning Cat Chatter

Lost my beloved tuxedo cat

Post by Ali J »

Hello everyone, this is my first post but I just wanted to share with others who will understand how I feel about losing my beloved cat, Presley last Wednesday. I am absolutely heart broken and it has been a comfort to read of others experiences on your web site.

Presley was my first cat, he was just passed 15 when he died and I had had him nearly six years. He was an absolute joy to have and I can't believe I will never hear again his footsteps upstairs or him bunny hopping down the stairs.

Although he had arthritis which he was getting acupuncture and physio for (in fact he had his last session on the 11th July) I had not idea in fact how ill he was.

I noticed when he came home from a short stay in the cattery three weeks ago, that he felt a bit boney when I stroked his back and as I was keeping him inside during the day as I was getting work done outside (and a neighbour's cat Toby wasn't getting in to eat his food) that he was in fact eating only half of what he normally did. I toyed with the idea of taking him to the vet for a check up for a couple of days but wasn't sure it was needed until last Monday morning when I noticed that he hadn't really ate much the night before if anything. I rang the vet's that morning and took him down to the vet's on Monday night. John, when he seen him was concerned and asked for me to bring him in next day for tests.

When I brought him in the next morning, the veterinary nurse seemed a little surprised (as he looked fine) but when John rang later that afternoon the news was not good, in his words the x-rays were "nasty". He also said Presley had not handled the anaesthetic well and it had to be withdrawn. I asked if Presley needed to be put to sleep but John said we were not at that point yet and he wanted to run some more tests, using a different anaesthetic, the next day and to ring again on Wednesday afternoon. However John rang the next morning to say Presley had deteriorated over night and was now really struggling and that I needed to come down. I dropped every thing at work and managed to get there within 40 minutes. I was asked to wait when I arrived and then John came down to say Presley had just passed away. He showed me his x-rays and I couldn't believe how little lung function he had, they were only about a 10th of their normal size.

John then brought Presley in and I was able to spend some time with him, he was still lovely and warm. I just stroked and kissed him.

I took him to the pet crematorium and he was cremated that night. They were absolutely wonderful but I regret that I didn't spend some more time with him in the little chapel of rest they had.

I simply can't believe that he has gone so suddenly and am in pieces. I used to hate coming home and finding that he wasn't in the house or garden and I would worry until he came through the door. I can't believe that I will never see him at home again.

Sorry for being so long winded, the words are not coming out how I want them to (I didn't mean to be so factual). It just helps me to share a little bit of what has happened.

Many thanks
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Lost my beloved tuxedo cat

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Ali. Bless you, most of us have been there and it's an awful feeling. You don't have to apologize for being 'long winded'. It had to be said and if it helps to talk, we are here for you.

RIP sweet Presley. (Hugs) to you . x
Ali J
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Ali J »

Hi Bobbys' girl

Thank you so much for your kind words of support I really appreciate it. I know it was his time and that he is in a much better place now but it is hard knowing the life we shared is now over. I will miss his head bumps when he is looking for dreamies, watching him licking his paws or just looking at me from the other sofa.

I am so glad that I took him to the vets when I did because as least he was in the right place at the time and they did all they could to save him. I have his ashes beside me and will bury him in the garden when I feel the time is right (don't know how long that will be).

I was blessed in having him for as long as I did and hope that I did the best I could to make his life a happy one. He had me wrapped round his little white paw and to me he was just perfect.

Rest in peace my beautiful boy.

Love Ali
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I lost my darling boy, Tommy, Christmas 2015. I have 4 other cats, but there's not a day goes by that I don't miss him. Not sure how old he was. He just wandered in one day and stayed. He had CKD and we knew his time was running out. But just after Christmas he went out one evening and when he didn't come back (he was never out long) I went to look for him and found him in the road. It was quick for him, but I will never forget the long walk back down the drive with him wrapped in his blanket.

He was such a gentleman. He is buried next to his doggie friend Rosie. They both have plants, a 'Rosa Mundi' rose and a heuchera called 'Thomas'. Both really beautiful at this time of year.
Mainecoon
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Mainecoon »

So sorry about your loss & we know how you must be feeling . We lost beloved Timothy ( a Tuxedo Cat .. who we had 12 years ) a while ago to Heart Cancer & there were no signs of how bad he was ( PTS at vets who let us see him before & after the event ) Thinking of you at this time & we know how terrible it is to lose a much loved pet / friend / child . Thinking of you xx
Ali J
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Ali J »

Hi bobbys girl and Mainecoon

Thank you so much for your posts, I really appreciate it. Just sitting here thinking about Presley as last Monday night was his last night at home, how I so wish I was back there again just to spend a little more time with him.

God bless

Ali
Josief
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Josief »

Ali,

I have just read about Presley and realise what a shock you had last week so I am even more grateful to you taking the time to comment on my post. It is so tough at this stage, where everything is a reminder and the brain is full of what ifs. I am thinking of you x