Socs

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Mariaminni70
New Cat Chatter

Socs

Post by Mariaminni70 »

My beautiful socs 16 months old was an indoor cat but on the 7th May got out via a kitchen window..We have been searching day and night with nothing.. Thursday 10th May get a call from a vet saying she had just been hit by a car and killed.. Had to go make sure it was her even though microchipped... held her in my arms and she was still warm... she was a baby with her whole life ahead.. I am so devasted cant eat sleep or work...How do I move on as she had no life 16 months old
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Socs

Post by Ruth B »

I am so sorry for you, it is heart breaking to lose any cat, but particularly so when it is so sudden.

Please try and think that she did have a life, a very good one, even if it was shorter than it should have been. Think of all the good times she had not the ones she won't have. She was 16 months old, I would guess then you had her for at least a year, that is at least 12 months you know of where she was happy, warm, well fed and most importantly, loved.

Try not to blame yourself for the open window, cats are notorious for being able to sneak in and out of places no matter how hard you try and keep them safe, always keep telling yourself you did try your best for her.

I can quite understand why you had to go and make sure it was her even though she was chipped, it gave you certainty, there is always a possibility of error when you just rely on a chip, you now know it was her, and at least as she was chipped they could contact you and you aren't left wondering what happened to her. It's hard now, but it does mean that at some point in the future you will be able to move on.

In the end time is the best healer, and while you will never forget her you will learn to enjoy the memories of the time you had with her. Grieving is perfectly normal, you have lost a family member, some people who don't have pets might not understand how close we are to them, but any of us that do have them and have lost them whether to accident or old age, know how devastating it is.

Hugs to you, and RIP Socs, I know you had a good, if short, life.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I am so very sorry. The grief and shock are devastating, along with the constant round of thinking "if only" and self blame. Do not blame yourself - as Ruth says, a determined cat will get out sooner or later. She had a happy life with you - her end came too soon, but she was loved and cared for all her life. Focus on the good times, not the last terrible days, and let grief take its course. She will always be a part of you, but time will gradually soften the blow of losing her. People here will understand, even if others say "only a cat" - hugs to you all.
melisajayne
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by melisajayne »

It will get better I promise. It’s really hard, really really hard. Nothing can prepare you for what you went through and there are many people on here who know exactly how you feel. I’m so sorry you lost your baby but you gave everything she could have dreamed of and more. Cats have a big impact on your life, they become part of the family and it’s true they love unconditionally which is why it’s so hard to let them go. With time the rawness will ease, you will still feel pain but it won’t be as bad as you are currently feeling. Don’t be afraid to tell people your not ok, losing a pet is hard and if someone tells you it’s just a cat then their not worth your time. Thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs from myself and my three boys <3