should our cat see his deseased brother at the vets

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
wendy10987
New Cat Chatter

should our cat see his deseased brother at the vets

Post by wendy10987 »

Hello

Our lovely young cat Ted has been found by the side of a road today and i wondered if anyone can advise on whether I should take his brother Bertie to the vets to see his body as they were both rescue cats and were very very close....
He was probably chased by the feral cat that the new neighbours brought from overseas as both our cats were constantly being chased by it
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: should our cat see his deseased brother at the vets

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry - you must be devastated. I don't think I would take Bertie to the vet, but if you could bear to have Ted's body at home for a while I would let Bertie see it there and approach it if he wants to. It seems to help some animals understand, while others pay no attention at all. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Very sad to hear of your loss. I would agree with fjm, bring his body home for Bertie to see it, if you can bear it. I did this with Badger and I think it helped Tilly to see him. Also, I find it much more satisfactory to have them all buried in my garden.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Wendy so sorry to read of your loss. I’ll can’t advise on your post but more experienced posters have & will provide advice. RIP little un & enjoy the Bridge with all our precious fur babes no longer with us.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So very sorry to hear the news. I agree, it's probably not a good idea to take Bertie to the vet to see his brother. He may never want to go again!

When my darling Tommy died (on the road) I laid him out on his towel in our old caravan and let the others come in to see him if they wanted. Most did, even if it was from the doorway. Purdy was the only one to come and sit by him for a while. But she is the smartest cat.

I am sure cats need 'closure ' too.
FelineGood
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by FelineGood »

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost Jasper 4 weeks ago to a road accident and he had been adopted with his brother.
We let Elijah sniff his brother before we buried him. I think it helped him as he often sits on his grave now.

I know exactly how you feel, I am still heartbroken for our loss and also for Elijah because their beautiful bond has gone forever.

We are adopting a kitten tomorrow so Elijah will have a playmate once more.