Cat missing for 6 weeks tomorrow

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Matt1981
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat missing for 6 weeks tomorrow

Post by Matt1981 »

Not really sure what to do. One of my cats Oreo went missing six weeks ago tomorrow and its like she's dropped off the face of the earth. I have joined various lost cat websites and posted on many Facebook groups as well as notifying my vet and neighbours. She was a very homely cat before and very rarely ventured out of the garden only occasionally to cross the road. Just went out one evening and so far hasn't come back. I have hope she is still out there somewhere as she is chipped and surely if she'd been in an RTA or been hurt I would have got a call by now. One thing I didn't do was put missing cat posters up as I was concerned about being fined by the council in West Sussex. Her brother still comes in and out as normal like nothings happened although he did spend the first couple of days she was gone acting strange and staying around the house. The thing thats the worst is the not knowing whats gone on. I feel like i've exhausted all my search options and all I can do is wait.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat missing for 6 weeks tomorrow

Post by bobbys girl »

I am sorry to hear that matt. I have had that happen twice, but in my case both cats had not been with us that long. I try to comfort (or fool) myself into thinking they went back to where they came from.

Are you on, or do you know anyone on Facebook? I know that posts to the local community via friends and family can widen the search, perhaps better than 'missing' posters.

I hope you hear something soon.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I am so sorry for you, it is the thing i dread, even more than hearing one has been in an accident, not knowing is so much worse.

I can't give much in the way of advise and comfort, except to say that these days I often see notices on the Cat Protection Facebook page asking for someone to scan a cat that has been found, alive or dead. People often seem to say that a cat has been coming to them for several weeks before they start thinking it might be a stray and getting it checked for a chip. I can only hope that that is what has happened to yours, and soon someone will report it and have her scanned.

I will suggest if you aren't keen on putting up notices then could you do a leaflet run and hand post them through letter boxes. You might also want to consider contacting your council and asking what there rules on missing pet posters are. I can understand you don't want to get into trouble, but I would have thought most would allow it even if they have rules to say they have to be taken down after a certain length of time. I'm sorry if you have already done this and they have said no, that would seem extremely inconsiderate of them. Also contact all your local rescues and ask them to put it on there websites or social media pages, the more people who are looking for her the more chance she will get back to you quickly.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you and please let us know if you hear anything.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Matt we have a Lost Pet Finders site here & posted below is what’s been posted when cats go missing. It’s so worrying.

Tried rattling food/dishes, calling dawn/ dusk, putting litter tray out apparently they can smell for miles, posters, checking neighbours/vets/pound. Someone posted they put their jumper on a chair & found cat asleep on it next morning.