Devastated

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
mairi
New Cat Chatter

Devastated

Post by mairi »

Hi all,
First time on this forum and I'm so glad I found you. Have been up all night reading your stories of loss and my heart has broken again with each one.
Our lovely Luna was hit by a car in front of us yesterday. One of our best friends was driving - completely not at fault though - just terrible timing. She was horribly injured and died in my arms. The shock of it was unreal. I held her to me and told her how much we loved her and that I would watch over J and M for her at night (she would spend half the night on my son's bed and half on my daughters). I am sorry to be so graphic but I don't feel like I can talk to anyone about it. She was a funny, loyal, beautiful wee thing and followed us everywhere. She was famous in our village as the kitten who thinks she's a puppy.

I don't know how to be strong for my children (10 and 7) who are both taking it really hard. She is being cremated and we are going to plant a rose bush in her favourite spot in the garden.

Please tell me it gets better. Best wishes to you all.
Mairi x
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Devastated

Post by Grace56 »

Oh Mairi...I am so sorry about your lovely Luna. I know exactly how you and your family must be feeling now. The pain is horrific and you think that no one could ever have felt grief like this.
Nothing anyone can say can ease the ache in your heart right now, I know. But be assured, it 'will' get better in time.
You must work through the grief in your own way. Cry, scream, punch the wall, howl, whatever it takes. But don't suppress it for fear of what others may think. Luna was a much loved part of your family and your grief honours her for the years of love and joy she brought to you and yours.

I lost my beautiful cat, Oscar two years ago to renal failure and I thought I would never get over his death. But now...I can think of him with a smile and a 'Thank you, baby for being with me for seven lovely years'.

Two weeks ago, one of my niece's three cats, Stormy was knocked down and killed. It was horrific and we are just now coming to terms with her loss.

You will find lots of comfort and understanding on here, Mairi. And it will help you in your sadness. We've all been there.

My thoughts are with you and yours. Take care. ((Hugs))

Grace xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

My dear Mairi, I am so sad to hear of your loss. I do know how you feel and what you are going through right now. We have all been there.
A couple of weeks ago my husband lost his 'garage cat', Sparky to the road. Sparky belonged to no one but would keep Dave and his friend company will they worked on their classics cars. He was a real character. We buried him in our garden and I had to act as undertaker as Dave was too upset.
I could not have put it any better than Grace. We are here for you.
Holding you in our thoughts
Sue xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Mairi

I am so sorry for your loss.

We lost 2 cats to cars - one 16 years ago, the other 6 years ago.

It it a devastating experience because you are not expecting it and, in the case of the last one, she was only 18 months old :(

Grief is a natural reaction, with both children and adults so don't be afraid to let your two grieve.

It does get easier with time. I have got photos of the cats I have lost in frames I bought after their deaths as special memories and I still talk to them.

Take each day as it comes

Val

Ps I also had a cat called Luna :(
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello, I am so sorry for your sad loss. Your feelings are quite natural and will ease in time, but at the moment you need to grieve and what other people (non cat people) say will invariably be wrong and it is quite understandable that you wont want to talk to folk. Seeing her die like that will make it even worse and my heart goes out to you. Lots of hugs from us and understanding how awful you feel. Your girl is waiting for you at the RB. XX
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Like Val, I have photo's of 'lost' pets, cats and dogs. Your emotions are too raw at the moment. But, in time, a photo of them makes you smile and remember the good times you had with them, and how lucky you both were to have each other.
Best wishes
Sue x
mairi
New Cat Chatter

Post by mairi »

Thank you everyone,

Overwhelmed at the kind responses. It really means the world at such a sad time. We are already talking about all the funny, daft wee things that Luna did. Last year we put her in a Christmas jumper (bad, i know!) and she couldn't walk forwards in it for some reason... She moonwalked backwards up the stairs, looking mortified and appeared 5 minutes later, jumper-less! We didn't find it for another couple of days - she'd hidden it under M's bed.

The happy memories will always outweigh the sad.

Thanks so much, again. Wishing you all the best.

xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh sweet, I'd like to have seen that!
animal_qwackers
New Cat Chatter

Post by animal_qwackers »

Mairi,

I was so sad to hear of the loss of your beloved Luna. It must have been traumatic for her and for you to witness the experience. My heart goes out to you. I lost a cat in a road accident a few years ago. My beautiful Ebony was only four and was hit by a vehicle although I didn't know. She was found two days later under a neighbour's tree, having crawled there to die, and brought to my home in a cardboard box. I went to pieces.

On the day of your terrible loss, I suffered a loss myself. My special little fella, Gonzo, had to be put to sleep as the vet discovered he had a fairly large tumour in his abdomen. I had to make a tough decision as there was no hope for him and am completely heartbroken as it all happened so quickly. I long for him so much. As well as that, my beautiful German Shepherd was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and is now on borrowed time. It's such a distressing time.

I've lost five cats in the last 14 years and the loss of Gonzo recently has knocked the stuffing out of me.

It does get easier, but give yourself time to grieve. Everybody is different when it comes to grief. I am so sorry for your loss. Try to remember the many happy times you shared. At this stage everything is still so fresh and raw.